DSD playback on ANY Dac, soon only $149 if you believe that Schiit!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

DSD playback on ANY Dac, soon only $149 if you believe that Schiit!

I guess now anyone can add DSD playback to any DAC available..... or well soon!

Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Wow!
    That is cheap enough to allow most anyone interested in DSD to try it.
    So just how many DSD files are out there now, anyway?
    And how many worth even owning?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

EVERYONE is going to DSD, it's the newest latest greatest, old format that should be put to bed...... LOL.

I've heard a few DSD files... couldn't tell any difference compared to any other hi-res format.... So it's one of those... is it worth it, normally no....but for $149... welllllllll.... sure why not!

All those SACD iso could then be used to output DSD, instead of converted and outputted via PCM if the DAC doesn't support it.
      -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Ok.........

Soooooo.........did you order one?
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

The thing is, it's hard to find digital content in hi-res, if DSD helps that then I don't have an issue with it.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

LOL... of course not.... I'm no 1 bit person... I'm multi-bit! lol
            -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Huh... FWIW, I also just saw on head-fi a Sony DAC amp announced that does DSD.

Sony have just released information about the continuation of the PHA series. Their new PHA-2 DAC/headphone amp will support DSD at sampling rates of 2,8 and 5,6MHz. It looks to share the same form factor, but sports a couple of improvements to the design. Yes, you still get the roll cage...
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
                The thing is, it's hard to find digital content in hi-res, if DSD helps that then I don't have an issue with it.
                actually, there is a lot of Hi-Res music out there......

HDTT

HDtracks

Already well known for high quality recordings, Acoustic Sounds now offers Hi-Res DL's

One of my favorites who runs really good deals & special offers all the time is Qobuz

& just a sampling of a few more:

HighResAudio

2L- the Nordic Sound

The music captured by 2L features Norwegian composers and performers and an international repertoire reflected in the Nordic atmosphere. The surround sound recordings of Lindberg Lyd not only transform the entire listening experience, but also - more radically - these innovative recordings overturn some very basic concepts regarding how music is played and even composed. 2L emphasize surround sound with Pure Audio Blu-ray and HiRes file distribution, and have garnered no less than 41 American GRAMMY nominations since 2006, 31 of these in craft categories Best Engineered Album, Best Surround Sound Album, Best Immersive Audio Album and Producer of the Year. LUX with Nidarosdomens jentekor, Trygve Seim and TrondheimSolistene won the award for Best Immersive Audio Album at the 62nd GRAMMY Awards in 2020. 2L record in spacious acoustic venues: large concert halls, churches and cathedrals. This is actually where we can make the most intimate recordings. The qualities we seek in large rooms are not necessarily a big reverb, but openness due to the absence of close reflecting walls. Making an ambient and beautiful recording is the way of least resistance. Searching the fine edge between direct contact and openness - that’s the real challenge! A really good recording should be able to bodily move the listener. This core quality of audio production is made by choosing the right venue for the repertoire, and by balancing the image in the placement of microphones and musicians relative to each other in that venue. There is no method available today to reproduce the exact perception of attending a live performance. That leaves us with the art of illusion when it comes to recording music. As recording engineers and producers we need to do exactly the same as any good musician: interpret the music and the composer’s intentions and adapt to the media where we perform. Surround sound is a completely new conception of the musical experience. Recorded music is no longer a matter of a fixed two-dimensional setting, but rather a three-dimensional enveloping situation. Stereo can be described as a flat canvas, while surround sound is a sculpture that you can literally move around and relate to spatially - surrounded by music you can move about in the aural space and choose angles, vantage points and positions.

AIX Records

Blue Coast Records

Experience the critically acclaimed live-in-the-studio recordings known to audiophiles worldwide and now available on all music services.

Bowers and Wilkins - Society of Sound

Cantaloupe Music

Cantaloupe Music is the record label created by the three founders of New York's legendary Bang on a Can organization—composers Michael Gordon, David Lang and Julia Wolfe. Cantaloupe Music has made a massive impact in the new music community, and has been recognized by critics and fans worldwide for its edgy and adventurous sounds.

Chesky Records

Gimell Records (96k/24bit, 48k/24bit, 44.1k/16bit of the The Tallis Scholars)

Information on all Gimell recordings by Peter Phillips and The Tallis Scholars available on Streaming Services, Downloads, CDs and DVDs, including music by Allegri, Byrd, Josquin, Palestrina, Tallis and Victoria.

HDTracks

HDtracks is a high-resolution music platform for music lovers to download their favorite tracks in master studio quality. Join us today for the ultimate listening experience!

High Res Music

High Definition Tape Transfers

High Resolution Downloads, Classical Music, Jazz Music, Rare Audiophile, DSD Downloads, Pure Audio. Blu ray Audio

High-res download test bench (free samples only)

We invite you to join us in this evaluation of future consumer delivery formats. Download high resolution audio files from Norwegian 2L in stereo 96kHz, 192kHz, DXD, DSD and 5.1 surround. MQA and FLAC are lossless encodings derived directly from our original production masters. Enjoy the music!

Hyperion Records

Internet Archive (dot org) - has some high res available - including Hungry Lucy!

iTrax

LessLoss Audio - Free Sample High Resolution Audiophile Recordings

LessLoss offers free high definition music, audiophile recordings, audiophile music, hd tracks including free audiophile downloads, audiophile music, audiophile recordings, hd tracks, high resolution audio downloads. Visit us.

Linn Records

Reference Recordings

REFERENCE RECORDINGS® records and manufactures award winning, ultimate quality CDs, Hybrid SACDs, LPs, and HRx discs and downloads of 176.4 kHz/24 bit music.

Rhino

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Well, I kind of meant a standard for hi-res, they are all over the place from different sources, and you can't get it from any of the major players so you usually end up paying a lot more for it.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Good listing, I use many of them; then too, if you're resourceful, there is the possibility to rip and convert SACD to files that can be played- some techniques more involved than others, and generally requiring some specialized hardware and software, which may not be cheap- I.E. you have to be a little crazy and determined.

I'm not sure that converting DSD to PCM is the optimum thing to do, but then, it depends on how good the specific DAC technology is, as to what may be the best playback technique. I'm an old time SACD kind of guy, have an AWFUL lot of disks, but I'm mainly a high res PCM playback kind of guy these days...
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

Yes, that is true!
                      I forgot to mention that a certain PS3 model has the ability to rip any SACD in your library to PCM.
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
                        Yes, that is true!
                        I forgot to mention that a certain PS3 model has the ability to rip any SACD in your library to PCM.
                        .... say whaaaaaa?
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
                          Yes, that is true!
                          Of course, some march to the beat of a different drummer- I have an Oppo player with a custom board from the Czech Republic, which converts stereo or multichannel SACD into 24 bit PCM, outputting this over Multiple S/PDIF connectors. It's intended for playback into a DAC, and does implement the SCM copy management bit, but my RME Fireface Interface ignores that, to I record the digital stream onto my Mac, using Triumph.

I've got a big backlog of disks to extract, been waiting for the new Mac Pro to come out and have setup some new LaCie Thunderbolt raid arrays for that. That, and I've been too busy with other stuff! :W
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                            .... say whaaaaaa?
                            yup.
                            & as I understand, DSD files are basically the same ones used to make SACD's.
                            The difference in resolution between the two is minimal.
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

The PS3 solution will allow you to rip either directly to DSD or to a .iso

All my SACDs are to .iso which can then be read and pulled through such conversions as you want to do. Basically it's the disc the same ways it was in the physical format. The conversion happens then either by hardware or software.

I like it just because then I can do whatever I want with the discs....

There's a well known thread on another forum that has all the info one could need about ripping SACDs so that you can have them on your computer (and even put them back to disc if you need to).... Something about being a computer audiophile is where the forum is at.
                              -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Huh... cool. Tell ya what, Bill. I know we usually don't link to other forms, (fora?) but putting on the moderator hat, sure, go ahead and tell everybody where this info's at!
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

Here.

Second part of the thread on what all they are doing with SACDs, what's capable.
                                  -Dan

Comment

• Finleyville
                                    • Sep 2006

Please excuse my ignorance....what is DSD?
                                    BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Direct Stream Digital http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

It's basically what SACD's use.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Computer Audiophile:

Combines the worst characteristics of computer tweekers and audiophile nervosa. A deadly mental state or state of being, manifested in a constant and continuous state of uncertainty about what works, what works better, what works better yet, and what is hideously flawed just because you didn't use the new cable all your friends have now...

A kingdom of myth and mysticism, populated with seemingly familiar technical terms and concepts that have mutated beyond all recognition and tenuous connection with reality...

:W
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
                                          • Nov 2004

That's a good one Jon!!!! I believe it should go in the thread of Definitions!

For the connoisseur of fine audio. Whether 2 channel or multichannel format, solid state or tube electronics, discuss it here. Also, hardware related SACD, DVD Audio, vinyl, high end speakers and audio enhancements including high end cables.
                                          -Dan

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

You're right, will do that before the week's out...
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

So what's the status of this? Have any of YOU tried this upgrade? I just found out that I have a potential upgrade path along similar lines, but as I've got a good setup for converting DSD to high res PCM, I'm not sold on investing in the concept. Still, this is clearly a trend- but where will the program come from? Acoustic Sounds High Res is one of the few places I know of selling DSD files online.

the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mjb
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

There's a review of the Loki here: http://www.audiostream.com/content/s...-dedicated-dac

Bottom line: it's a pain to have to manually switch it in and out of circuit (unless you do a PCM to DSD conversion in your player software), and compared to other (admittedly more expensive DAC's), " the Loki sounds flatter and a bit tonally bleached overall".

Final word: "... for $149, playing back PCM and DSD through JRiver converting everything to single-rate DSD, the Loki is one good-sounding DAC."
                                                - Mike

Main System:
                                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                  • Aug 2000

Thanks for the update, Mike! Interesting, but not a world beater- like most things in life!
                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                  Natalie P
                                                  M8ta
                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                  Isiris
                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                  Calliope
                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                  Modula PWB
                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"