X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne1
    • Dec 2016

DIY Modular DAC

Please note that this is a work in progress.

A couple of years ago, I started accumulating parts for a DAC build that would allow me to play back my collection of SACD rips.

I had been using a Logitech Touch with EDO app into a CEntrance DACmini.

A couple of things pushed me into finally starting on the project, I trialed Roon software for a month and I had a chance to use a Raspberry Pi with Kali reclocker board and the Allo Piano DAC board.

Those items changed my perception of what is now available for digital playback and how good it all can sound.

I subscribed to Roon and ordered an Odroid C2 in which I installed DietPi and Roon Bridge. I finally put all the parts together to build the DAC

This is a proof of concept build. There will be many changes to the layout as times passes.

I started with a chassis I had on hand. It had many holes already drilled and I have drilled many more trying different layouts.

As DAC chips seem to change at least once a year, I did not want a full DAC on one board. I chose to break out the sections according to their use.

I decided to use separate transformers for the USB and DAC boards. I went with R cores, I used a 3 pole snubber after the transformer to remove any ringing in the transformer secondaries along with soft recovery diodes. I also used Jensen four pole capacitors for additional isolation. they are part of the CRC network prior to going int the Salas Reflektor Shunt regulators.

The USB board is the I2SoverUSB by JL Sounds. Some of the features of this board are:
    "I2SoverUSB uses reclock to reduce jitter significantly. I2S, S/PDIF outputs, oscillators and reclock are galvanically isolated from XMOS processor and USB ground. The galvanic isolation eliminates common noise originated by the computer. There is an galvanically isolated external master clock input. The board is equipped with NDK NZ2520SD low jitter oscillators 45.158MHz and 49.152MHz. LP5900 ultra-low noise linear voltage regulators are used"

The DAC board plugs directly into the USB board.

I decided on the JL Sounds AK4490 as it offers Direct DSD (no conversion to PCM) and the ability to choose from 5 different filters.

"Native DSD Support
    Supports 2.8MHz (64fs), 5.6MHz (126fs) and 11.2MHz (256fs) DSD
    According to AKM, the volume control module and the delta-sigma modulator can be bypassed for DSD resulting in “direct” DSD rendering. The AK4490 contains an integrated low-pass filter specifically for DSD data."

By moving a couple of jumpers around on the boards, I am able to power each board separately from the Salas regulators.

For the proof of concept build I decided to just use the analog output from JL Sounds. As the project moves along, I hope to try out a tube analog section.

The analog section uses a toroidal transformer. I used a 3 pole snubber and Jensen caps again for smoothing and as part of a CRC before the regulators

[IMG]http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1502643373[/IMG]

The regulators are the Simple Salas Low Voltage (Back in Black) With the stock op-amps the regulators were set for +- 15 v.
    Changing the op amps to the Sparkos Labs discrete op amps I am now running them at 16 volts

Overall. I am very happy with the way the build is turning out. Using Roon I am able to upsample all my files to DSD256 and stream all day with no dropouts or glitches.

The next step my be to relocate the Odroid into the same case as the DAC and run I2S direct to it and eliminate the USB step.

Thanks for taking the time to look over my little project.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Wow. I came here from my op amp thread and I'm glad I did. "Way cool" is the phrase that comes to mind, although I now think I should change the name of my thread to "Change part. Sound gooder" after seeing this. LOL
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• TEK
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

That's a really cool project. I like that you have separated stuff so that it is possible to upgrade in the future.
      What are you feeding this from, and what amps and speakers do you have?
      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Wayne1
        • Dec 2016

Thanks you for your comments and interest in my little project.

I have roughly 12 TB of digital files on multiple hard drives on a Windows desktop in my basement. I run ROON as my audio playback software. From the desktop, ethernet takes the signals to an Odroid C2. This is a Single Board Computer (similar to a Raspberry Pi but with a faster processor and no sharing of USB and ethernet) running DietPi OS as a ROON Bridge. The Odroid feeds USB into the DAC.

My speakers are DIY based on Danny Ritchie's (GR Research) X-CS Encore. They are a MTM with 6.5" woofers designed by Danny M-165 woofer and Peerless T26SG tweeter. The cabinet is 3/4" Baltic Birch
        The crossover is external and built with Jantzen Superior caps and Jantzen wax coil inductors.

My amp is a modified Eastern Electric M88 integrated tube amp with KT-88s that puts out about 40 wpc. I also have a small AV-123 subwoofer designed by Danny for a bit of low frequency fill in.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Wayne....this is fabulous!!!!

please keep the posts coming.......

....& pics, pics of everything!!!!!!!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• scottvalentin
            • May 2015

Very interesting project, thanks for sharing!!

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Looks like a fun electronics modular DIY with a lot of interesting choices in prebuilt boards! That newer AKG DAC chip seems to be a pretty nice one from what I read- it's kept them in the game against Saber.

The only thing not apparent from your photos and description is whether you're running balanced or unbalanced outputs- did I miss that somewhere? The Eastern Electric M88 does seem to have one set of balanced inputs. KT88's are some of my favorite power tubes for guitar amps... but they can also be made to operate very linearly.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Wayne1
                • Dec 2016

Thanks for the comments.

The JL Sounds DAC and USB boards were already stuffed and tested. I populated all the rest of the boards.
                The JL Sounds filter board takes the balanced output of the AK4490 DAC through a low pass filter as well as combining the balanced signals to single ended.
                LME49710 schematic

At some point in the future I hope to build a balanced tube stage output for the DAC

I am thinking of a Broskie Cathode Follower that can be used as an "Unbalancer" at first and then get another board to use fully balanced.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

John Broskie is amazing!
                  90% of his stuff goes right over my head, but i read him all the time hoping it will all sink in some day!!!!
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"