X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Welcome to the new Digital Audio Forum!

We are going to be exploring and trying to keep up with all the new and latest technologies in the realm of Digital Audio! This is something that I'm pretty passionate about, so I'm hoping we can bring some more people in and start getting great discussions on ways to get audio on and off our computers as well as get the best possible signal to our DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) to produce the best sound. Now with the Best sound, that's really relative because everyone hears differently so there's no one right or wrong way to set things up. With the thousands and thousands of products available, it's literally a smorgasbord of delectable bites for your ears!

And just like an amazing vinyl rig.... every single piece and part can help enhance or take away from the "purity" of the sound. This is really an Audiophile tweakers heaven. That's where I fell in love with the idea.... how can I get the best sound from what I have without spending TONS of money.... although I realize now that spending some money will get you very far indeed... You don't have to go nuts mind you (you can if you want!), but the average cost of a decent digital setup will cost you about the same as you would if you were to buy a good CDP or record player.

I think it's become more apparent that a lot of people are starting the trek to remove themselves from having physical media that they have to put into their player and at minimum interested in how to store, track, and be able to playback on the system they already currently have.

The fun part of this... is that most people are basically set up for this right off the bat with little more than a computer and a few cables to start off with. And for a few $$$ you can really move into a much better level of sound.

My favorite thing about this topic is going to be helping people really start to explore this new change in how audio is delivered to you. I'm not saying we are going to be shunning vinyl or CDs, or any of that. We hear welcome all those formats. I'm saying we can use these tools to help preserve, enhance, and simplify the way listen to our music.... and in the end, have a great time along the way!

-Dan
    PewterTA
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

We HERE on the forum like to HEAR good sound...........That's for sure!!.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Pleased to see this addtion- a bit more specialized than Audio Hideout!

I'd love to post here immediately, but as I'm knee deep in alligators with work issues this weekend AND trying to get ready for an international hiking trip, free time is currently an oxymoron!

But I'll probably contribute to the gear list and some other ruminations from our trip, as there should be WiFi in most of the places we're staying... we hope!

Just yesterday evening finally re-arranged things at GF's and got the system reconnected and did a little listening- first chance since the Northern CA DIY and the following Sunday when I brought the system to GF's instead of unloading at home. Eventually we'll both live there- me and the system. :W

The more I hear the TotalDAC D1, the more I'm in love with it. But there's some other interesting news in somewhat "budget" digital, out from NAD, so I'll post some thoughts and questions about that to get the ball rolling, too.
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Wooo Hooo Sounds great!!!!
        -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Congrats to Dan on his new role as moderator!!

We have needed a place like this for digital & computer-based audio & I know of no one more knowledgeable (other than maybe Jon Marsh ) to take the reins.

Without Dan’s help I would never have been able to take advantage of this new technology & incorporate it into the system I now have. Other than vinyl, all my music is played via lossless FLAC files from the 4 gig sever he hand-built & set-up for me. The best part is Dan’s vast knowledge & ability combined with his willingness to help everyone with any questions regarding everyting related to digital & computer-based audio.

I look forward to some great conversations & sharing of info on equipment, software & its implementation, & especially how other members are incorporating digital into their own systems. It will be great to hear what Jon Marsh is up to. His contributions will be (as always) SOTA (State Of The Art) & fascinating. Who knows...? We may even get a visit from ET or The Chancellor from time to time !

Originally posted by madmac
          We HERE on the forum like to HEAR good sound...........That's for sure!!.
          Also, nice to sea we can all look forward to madmac's relevant & informative posts, too.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I just got two new DAC units myself, so I'll post when I can.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

What two DACs did you get?

I think my next DAC is going to be the Schiit Statement... I think they are going for a grand slam with this DAC and I'm sure the price range will fall nicely into my realm of "can buy." ha ha.
              -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I got two of Parasound's new Zdac's. These things are awesome. They took the DAC out of the new Halo CD 1, and it's the same as another DAC from another CD player costing thousands and thousands of $$$, all packaged in this little unit for an MSRP of $475. I'm going to put one in my main house/theater equipment room, probably for my CD player, but the first one I'm installing now is in my Z setup that I use for my office system. I'm going to have to get balanced XLR cables to fully take advantage of the unit in my equipment room. In my office Z stack, everything is unbalanced RCA.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• JeremyG
                  • Sep 2008

That's a good looking DAC, Chris. I'll be interested in seeing how it sounds. Since I've recently upgraded my left and right mains, I'm starting to plan for the next link in the chain.

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Chris - Looks awesome! Definitely would like to hear what you think of how the thing sounds!
                    -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

I haven't started to test it out yet. The Zcd I got along with the Zdac for my office "Zystem", was DOA, so the new replacement should be here any day. The other Zdac is going in my home equipment rack, probably to use with my Parasound Halo D3 disc player, which I currently use as my CD player. I haven't had time to do the hard rackmounting installation yet, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of difference that makes.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"