Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray Player BDP-05FD - Blu-Ray side worth Fixing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • selfilm
    • Oct 2016

Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray Player BDP-05FD - Blu-Ray side worth Fixing?

Hello Everyone,
    I have a Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD Blu Ray player and the Blu-Ray portion of it is not working. It still plays audio CDs and regular DVDs. The reason why I love this machine is that it has RCA audio outs for my system so I know I am getting the best possible audio (meaning I don't have to rely on a low cost and uknown quality output coaxial or optical converter). I sent the unit to United Radio in Syracuse for a repair estimate. They came back with a $594 dollar repair to fix the Blu-Ray Player portion. I literally asked them 3 times if that was the correct price to repair it and they confirmed. So, here's the question: Should I repair this player? It seems like it's way too expensive of a repair just to have my higher quality audio out from a good blu ray player. I wanted to know if anyone feels they are aware of a unit with equivalent audio output of this Pioneer model but a modern available unit which would come under warranty? Or do you think I should just eat the costs and repair the unit?
    Thanks for any advice!
    Sincerely, Scott
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

That pretty much matches the price of buying a new Oppo 4K player, the 203, which also has full discrete audio outputs. Had to have that for GF's HT system, when the Cambridge Audio Blu-Ray player died; her system doesn't have HDMI inputs or any modern decoding. It plays Blu-Ray for a standard HD display (Panasonic Plasma) just fine.

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

Future proof yourself and get a new warranty.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I second the OPPO recommendation.

Comment

• CraigJ
        • Feb 2006

If you are still looking, there is always Craigslist; https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/...467782711.html (Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD. In excellent condition, well taken care of, works great! $120) The Oppo has to have significantly faster load times....Much faster

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
          I second the OPPO recommendation.
          And I third it!

Nigel.

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

The 05 was a remarkable player and I can see why you want to fix it but the Oppo is a much better faster player, I'd go for the Oppo

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

If you want an Oppo might want to get one soon as they apparently are no longer going to be offering new products.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"