X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

Professional TV Calibration

Worth the $$$? Just looking for anyone that's had their TV calibrated by a professional. Does the result justify the cost? Had you used Avia or DVE prior to the calibration?

Bill
  • CWD
    • Mar 2004

ISF calibration experience

When I bought my Toshiba 50HDX82 RPTV, I tried to live with tweaking the controls via Video Essentials and Avia Home Theater Tune-up. No matter what I did, I could never get the contrast and brightness to balance out correctly. It was pretty obvious the grey scale was off.

I paid the price (about 10% of the price of the TV itself) to get an ISF calibration done. It has been worth every penny I paid for it. DVDs just look amazing and HDTV looks even more amazing. Fortunately, the TV has separate picture settings for each input, because I did need to tweak for HDTV a bit after the calibration was done via the DVD player input.

Since I had the guy out to my house, I got a reduced price to have my Sony KV-32FV15 (?) 32" Vega set calibrated. I was pretty happy with the picture setting I was able to achieve with Video Essentials and although the technician was able to improve things, it was a slight and subtle improvement. The best thing about getting that set tweaked was that now when the kids screw up my settings, all I have to do is set everything "at the middle" and I'm back to my calibrated picture. Since the settings don't have numerical values like the Toshiba RPTV does, that is worth something, but clearly, the value of the calibration just isn't the same with this TV.

So, if you can tell you are having troubles getting blacks and whites to balance properly or the color is skewed too red or too green and a simple adjustment of Tint kills yellows or boosts blues too much, get the calibration. If you're simply want everything out of your set it can do, then get the calibration. It is worth it when the TV just can't quite get there through tweaking the user controls.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"