X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worldys
    • Dec 2005

DIY ISF Calibration on a Sony KV-36XBR800

I have been reading up about the importance of periodic ISF calibration and would like to try to do it myself. Everywhere I read warns NOT to do it myself as I can really screw things up. I realize I am flirting with disaster but I figure that if I got through four years of graduate school, I should be able to work my way through this. What do I need? Will a service manual for my TV provide a walk through? What calibration disk should I buy? Will the Digital Video Essentials work for ISF calibration or do I need something more technical?

I understand that if I blow up my TV, it is no one's fault but my own so please don't hold back with the advice.

Cheers,

Sasha
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

First of all an actual ISF calibration requires 10's of thousands of dollars in testing equipment, so just hire someone for a full on ISF calibration.

Otherwise a user-level calibration via DVE or AVIA is a great idea :T
    Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

You need a color analyzer for one. That alone will not be cost prohibitive for you to purchase.

Comment

• worldys
        • Dec 2005

Thanks for the input, that clears things up a little bit. So ISF calibration is out of the question.

I was thinking of buying the DVE NTSC (2003) disk. Is this the best one to buy?

The consumer menu seems pretty minimalistic. There is a slight bowing of the picture at the bottom of the screen, hardly noticeable but I think it is real. Can I use the DVE disk and enter the service menu to fix any divergence/convergence issues and improve my picture quality?

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Honestly, at that level you're better off paying a pro to do the full calibration for a few hundred bucks IMO. Then pick up a copy of DVE or Avia for DIY tuneups and to calibrate your speakers/HT as well. I like DVE, lot's of people like Avia, they both work fine
          Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

I prefer avia. It's easier to work with. It will get you 70% there. The last 30% will need to be attended to by an ISF guy. That last 30% still is rather huge though.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"