X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anton
    • Oct 2004

Does the Denon AVR-2805 hit the mark?

After a loooong hard look at the current A/V Recievers avalible for a resonable amount of money vs. performance ratio, I've set my sights on the Denon AVR-2805. It will replace my hard working but older Yamaha R-V905 (or RXV-595).

Does anyone have a take on the over all performance of the Denon, for around AU$1600 it seems like a pretty good unit to run a middy H/T.

I do like all of the features it has avalible. Insight from a more experienced gallery will help alot!
    Canadian heart, Aussie home!
  • number17
    • Jul 2004

I have listened to the 2805 in the store, and my buddy has the 2803. I think the 2803 was pretty good value, but the 2805 is even better.

In terms of features, I think the 2805 delivers on what most people expect in this price range, and then some.

In terms of performance, denon's always been a tad on the bright side IMO. Bright isn't a bad thing to some people though, and at least you do hear lots of details and very clear dialogue when watching movies.

I think denon's one of the few companies that does equally well for music and movie. I think you can't really go wrong with a denon. For that kindda $$ though, I'd at least look at the competition from Marantz, Pioneer, and if you're a Yamaha fan, Yamaha as well. Maybe you can stretch it and look at the rotel as well. At the end of the day it comes down to what you like personally.

Comment

• Anton
      • Oct 2004

Alitttle advice goes along way

Thanks number 17,

With my JM Lab mains, that have a really crisp high end, i hope it won't be tweet city. The automatic room EQ adjust will come in handy in this case. Music is really important to me so if the AVR has a good performance with music thats great news.

Can you 100% trust the way the automatic eq and H/T setup?

I'm always fiddleing with the setup on my Yamaha.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

I've played with a 3805, and the thing was loaded to the gills. It sounded pretty nice too, for HT duties anyway (I found it lacking somewhat for 2-channel though).

The 2805 has most of the features, and a little less power. It seems like a good choice for a "middy" (I'm borrowing your term there) home theater.

Comment

• Prozakk
          • Jul 2004

The Yamaha RXV1400 is pretty good too. They're being phased out for the 1500 (read: prices dropping).

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Yamaha, HK and Denon are in my top 3 of mainstream brands :T

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Anton
              • Oct 2004

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the helping hand!

To know that the Denon isn't a total let down is a great boost .

I'll have to give it a go :T

Lets hope my system dosen't crack up under the presure of a better reciever.

Comment

• number17
                • Jul 2004

You have JM Lab speakers too? I have the JM Lab Chrous 715/CC700/SW700/705 setup.

Because the chorus are a tad on the bright side, I was worrying about the same thing with a Denon / Chorus setup. I never had the chance to test the 3805 with the Chorus but I did listen to the 1804 with the Chrous.

And yes, it was bright.

No where near as bad as the Pioneer Elite with the Chrous (watching X-2 my ears were hurting after 20 minutes), but at the end of the day I much preferred the warm sounds of the Marantz than the Denon 1804 when mated to the JM Lab Chorus.

But don't take my word for it. Test it for yourself.

And honestly, some ppl like how the Denon sounds ... my friend's a super Denon fan and sampling both the 1804 and Marantz 5400 with him, he preferred the 1804 while I thought it's bright.

I still think the 3805 more than just 'hits the mark', but you gotta listen for yourself, and ideally with your choice of speakers.

As for the auto EQ system - it gives you some ideas but in the end of the day you'd still equalize for yourself with a SPL meter, and your ears still have the final say.

I also think the Yamaha RX-V1400 is pretty good bang for the buck in this price range ... some say the Yamaha isn't as good for music though.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

I have the 2805 for about 4 months now, powering B&W DM601s as mains and LCR600 as center. My SVS PCi20-39 will be here this Friday and DM600 as surrounds will be picked up soon after that. I got a really good deal on it for around $500 when it first came out, I'm sure you can probably do a little better now, now that it's been on the market for a while now. I went with the 2805 over the 3805 because I was planning on adding a Rotel 1075 sooner or later and the extra power won't do me any good.
                  If you're planning on using receiver with no added amps, the 3805 might make more sense. I often find myself turning up the volume on the 2805. PM me if you have any more questions.

Comment

• Anton
                    • Oct 2004

All part of the plan

My plan is much the same Blaze Master :T

Power amps are to be added in the next 12 months, Rotel or NAD, I'm not sure yet. One step at a time. I believe it has all the features to expand my system in my H/T and into the rest of my house (with zone 2).
                    Brightness is my main concern.

B&W speakers have a much mellower treble then the JMLabs.

I hope the EQ can tame a sizzling treble.

Will it do the job if its too bright?

Comment

• Anton
                      • Oct 2004

An Amazing machine

Well I picked up my AVR-2805 yesterday and I must say WOW!!!! :B

What an amazing machine, the grip it has on material is fantastic.

I can't wait to hear what it can do over the next few months.
                      The music and movies I've played through it have had detail and dynamics like never before. The way it swings effects around the room is so impressive.
                      It's was a breeze to set up and the OSD is really detailed and easy to navigate. I'm sooooo impressed.

Thanks for the input guys it helped me make up my mind.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                        • May 2004

no probs anton. How effective do you find the Auto-EQ on the 2805 and have you compared to the results that you got through using a SPL meter to balance out the channel levels?

Comment

• Anton
                          • Oct 2004

Like it was magic.....

Well........like all things there is a good side and a bad side.

Firstly the levels, distances and sizes of the speakers are spot on. I ran the auto set up and noted all the parameters, reset the system and did it with my trusty Tandy (aka Radio Shack) dB meter and the measurement were almost exact. The main difference was in the levels for the rears (+0.5dB and +1dB). I was happy to stick with the auto setup settings.

The Subwoofer leveling was a very different story. Subwoofers have always been a very difficult thing for me to get right, so I was counting on the Denon to do the job for me, but alas this was not to be. The level was all wrong (IMO), it was out 11dB. Let just say I trusted my ears on that occasion.

With all that aside I LOVE :T my new toy. The sound field is amazing. I can't wait to dive into the full 7.1 config, I'm only running 5.1 at the moment. the DTS and DD playback is kickass, the movie score and effects are moved around my room like never before. The DTS sound of Saving Private Ryan is so much more detailed it was like watching the movie again for the first time. Bullets flew threw my lounge room in the Omaha Beach opening sequence.
                          I was very impressed with the 'Pure Direct' stereo setting. Everything shuts down except for the input stage and amplification for the main front channels and provides a great stereo sound. Controled and dynamic with good depth. I was surprised by the holographic effect that was presented by some of my CDs and LPs, I've never heard that from my system before (my new Eichmann Series 6 cables might be the cause of that also).

My system has been transformed by the 2805, even with the sub setup I am extremely happy. Thank you for the great posts and words of wisdom guys!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"