Paradigm Monitor's (esp. 5's) extended break-in needed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregoriusM
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2000

Paradigm Monitor's (esp. 5's) extended break-in needed?

Hi!

I recently moved from a Denon 3300 with Titan mains, CDP-170 center and ADP-170 surrounds to a Denon 2805 and changed out the Titans with a new pair of Monitor 5's.

The Denon 2805 was all I was willing to pay for at the time (two weeks ago). I found the sound not very musical, and found the highs harsh, bright and a great deal of "sibilance", if I'm using that term correctly, where the S's mostly and the T's "ssssssssssstand" out extremely and make the music or HT or TV hard to listen to.

So, I did a long listening session with the Monitor 5's at my dealer, and compared the Denon 2805, and Denon 3805, and Rotel RSX-1056 (which is known for its musical qualities as a receiver) and found the 1056 to be better with music than the 3805, especially for the imaging, especially the depth. I didn't listen to HT, since I'm not as critical when listening to HT, even though I do about 60% HT and 40% music. (Obviously I decided I needed to pay more for the receiver).

Does anyone with experience with the Paradigm Monitor series, especially the Mini's, 5's or 7's, have the bright, somewhat harsh, "sibilant" sound with them?

If so, did that go away with "break-in"?

I have had the Rotel and Monitor 5's for 2 1/2 weeks, and have put at least 60 hours of time on the speakers. I have them crossed over at 40 Hz with a Paradigm PDR-10 subwoofer. (The Rotel allows different crossover points for the fronts, centers and surrounds.

Do you have any suggestions?

Also, for those with Monitor 7's, why did you pick the 7's over the 5's, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!

Greg
    Gregor
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by GregoriusM
    I found the sound not very musical, and found the highs harsh, bright and a great deal of "sibilance", if I'm using that term correctly, where the S's mostly and the T's "ssssssssssstand" out extremely and make the music or HT or TV hard to listen to.
    Hi Greg,

My only experience is with 2 Studio 40's and a 100 watt Denon stereo reciever......
    Now, what you describe here is exactly what I heard and felt the first 2 days of ownership.
    I really didnt look forward to returning them....and I didnt.
    Since then I've learned the metal tweeter may have something to do with it.

Maybe someone will chime in that owns the speakers you mentioned.
    ......Pat

Comment

• GregoriusM
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2000

Patt: I was thinking that the Studio 20's might be a better fit, but it sounds like they may not be.

You kept the 40's, but are you still finding them overly bright or harsh or exactly how would you describe them?

And what are you using to drive them? Receiver? Pre-pro/amp? Manufacturer(s)?

Thanks!

-----

Also, I changed the crossover to 60 and then to 80, as a couple of people suggested, and there was really no difference in the brightness, harshness, sibilance.

I put my Titans back in, and they sound much more "subdued", but much easier to listen to. Better midrange, and just the slightest "sibilance" and the ssssssss's, but I can turn them up and listen to them for hours, compared to minutes with the Monitor 5's. However, the Titans are more boxy and somewhat "veiled" and quite a bit less open. But, I'd rather have that than open and harsh.

Hmmmmmmmmmm........ what to do.... what to do....
      Gregor

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Perhaps Greg, you may have to take those Paradigms back to the store and try out some other brands and models...? Like my Energy's or some PSB's, Totems etc....? That was one of the deciding factors of me going with my Energy C's over Paradigms as I found the highs to be just a crisp and airy with out the harshness/grittiness or being spitty of the Paradigms (as well as a few other brands )
        Jason

Comment

• CWD
          • Mar 2004

I bought a set of Monitor 7s, a CC370, and Monitor 3s for surrounds a few years ago. I also bought the PW-2200 subwoofer. At that time, the speakers were paired with a Denon AVR-2700 receiver. I do remember the highs seeming a bit harsh during the break-in period compared to the NHT SuperOnes/Zeroes the Paradigm system replaced. I played them for many, many hours before either they broke in or my ears gave in!

I have played around with placement, toe-in, etc. and upgraded the receiver to a Rotel RSP-1068/Outlaw 770 separates combination. The system sounds great after all the changes and tweaks.

Why did I buy Monitor 7s?

1) They do go a bit lower in the bass range compared to the Monitor 5s and I intended to run them full range with music, especially with SACD/DVD-Audio music, and then blend them with the PW-2200 via it's crossover control, etc. I've been able to get a nice full bass presentation with this strategy. By the way, for movies the RSP-1068 crosses them over at 60Hz and lets the PW-2200 carry the bass load.
          2) The most obvious reason -- no need to buy speaker stands! The cost difference between the Monitor 5s and Monitor 7s is less than the cost of nice speaker stands as I recall. If you have the space for the Monitor 7s, then go with them.

Good luck and enjoy!

CWD

Comment

• GregoriusM
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2000

Thanks everyone. I'm still working this one out with the dealer. 8O
            Gregor

Comment

• methenyfan11
              • May 2005

Hey, this is probably too late now. I wonder what you ended up doing with the P's. I tried the 11's out. They're marvelous speakers, but I did find them too bright pared in the upper middle wtih Rotel running them. That has to be taken with a grain of salt though because even with the B&W's I'm now trying, I find the upper mids a bit strong, but much less so.

I think they would work really well with a tube amp or other 'soft' electronics.

good luck!

Comment

• bimmer528
                • Sep 2004

Hi!

I recently moved from a Denon 3300 with Titan mains, CDP-170 center and ADP-170 surrounds to a Denon 2805 and changed out the Titans with a new pair of Monitor 5's.

The Denon 2805 was all I was willing to pay for at the time (two weeks ago). I found the sound not very musical, and found the highs harsh, bright and a great deal of "sibilance", if I'm using that term correctly, where the S's mostly and the T's "ssssssssssstand" out extremely and make the music or HT or TV hard to listen to.

So, I did a long listening session with the Monitor 5's at my dealer, and compared the Denon 2805, and Denon 3805, and Rotel RSX-1056 (which is known for its musical qualities as a receiver) and found the 1056 to be better with music than the 3805, especially for the imaging, especially the depth. I didn't listen to HT, since I'm not as critical when listening to HT, even though I do about 60% HT and 40% music. (Obviously I decided I needed to pay more for the receiver).

Does anyone with experience with the Paradigm Monitor series, especially the Mini's, 5's or 7's, have the bright, somewhat harsh, "sibilant" sound with them?

If so, did that go away with "break-in"?

I have had the Rotel and Monitor 5's for 2 1/2 weeks, and have put at least 60 hours of time on the speakers. I have them crossed over at 40 Hz with a Paradigm PDR-10 subwoofer. (The Rotel allows different crossover points for the fronts, centers and surrounds.

Do you have any suggestions?

Also, for those with Monitor 7's, why did you pick the 7's over the 5's, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!

Greg
                I'm not really set on the whole breaking in thing. I am way in the minority on it but it's my belief that should should satisfy you right out of the box. If your not happy upon first listen in your living room or where else.... Chances are, I dont think u will be. I think tuning might be in order as far as placement, adding some features in your listening room to absorb some sound... or change the sound some. This will make a much bigger impact then waiting for a break in that again, I don't really believe in.

When I purchase audio, I ALWAYS bring it home first before I buy it.. (unless theres a good deal on audiogon or ebay). This way, you can't go wrong because you know what it sounds like in your dwelling.

my bro in law has the moniter 9's ( i think) they are the rather big towers. They sound great with his b&k referance amp and preamp. Even better watching movies.

Comment

• Patt
                  • Feb 2005

Patt: I was thinking that the Studio 20's might be a better fit, but it sounds like they may not be.
                  Gregg, There are many guys that wouldnt give their paradigm's up for anything.
                  You kept the 40's, but are you still finding them overly bright or harsh or exactly how would you describe them?
                  To me but not to the happy owner's, the tweeter sounds to far forward and when pushed...boxy.
                  And what are you using to drive them? Receiver? Pre-pro/amp? Manufacturer I had them powered at home with a Denon 100 watt Stereo reciever then a 125 watt amp/reciever combo and they still sounded the same to me. I auditioned the Signature Series #40 and they sounded the same being powered by a Krell 200 watt integrated, much better but still the same.

I traded them in on the Klipsch RF7's and once I get the crossovers re-worked and proper amplification everything should be great. I have had Klipsch for many years so I'm a little more familiar with the sound. An RF 7 with a reciever is a horrible sound by the way :E

Break in? I vote always listen for at least 6 hours before passing judgement and being dis-satisfied. I agree placement is of the utmost importance with any speaker.
                  ......Pat

Comment

• RenoReno2
                    • Jan 2005

I'm running monitor 9's with a B&K ref 50 and 125.7 and I have no complaints. Prior to my B&K purchase I borrowed some rotel gear and it was very bright, as for now with my B&K gear it sounds very neutral my only complaint is my 10 year old velodyne sub.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"