This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Mxyztplk
    • Sep 2004

- When you local A/V dealer calls you to see if everythings OK because you didn't come by this week.
    - When your wife asks you if you are coming to bed, and you say in a minute (then you press play on LOTR-TT special edition with the full intention of watching the whole thing)!
    - When you build a second theater in the den because you wife gets mad whenever you take apart the main theater to make tweaks (especially since she never notices the improvement)
    - When you start cutting your own hair so you can save up for that new amp.
    - When you request that all birthday, Christmas, and anniversary gifts be in cash or in the case of HT equipment, pre-approval of model number and price.

Comment

• lazermike
      • Jul 2003

When you have buddies who are into HT too...

When you and your buddy are considering swapping main 2 channel amps, just to see what kind of difference they in each others systems...

When all you hear from your other buddy, is the fact that hes going to be getting a High Def TV, but his truck keeps breaking, so now its parked outside...

When you ask your buddy to come over, and listen to the system, and see if he can hear the changes after swapping around interconnects...

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by ekkoville
        ...when you are driving your car and think the windshield resembles "widescreen format."
        A lot of these made me laugh, but this one was the best, I think. Good thread! I'll have to take some time to post my own responses.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• ht_addict
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by ht_addict
          When you replace your Rotel RMB-1095 with a NAD S250 and find the banana plugs isn't as tight so you order 6 sets spades :frypan:

ht_addict
          When you order one set less that you actually need :loser:

When you answer a question on another forum asking how much you've spent on your setup. And after adding it all up you've spent $18K on equipment and movies. Don't tell my wife.:E

ht_addict

Comment

• Drew_W
            • Dec 2003

...when you have purchased and sold so much equipment in the last few months, that when you try to put your upgrade path on paper, you can't remember it all and get yourself confused.

(Kind of relates to what Kevin said. I really had a bitch of a time figuring it out. And eventually gave up.)

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

...When you decide to put off buying a house for a year or 2 to upgrade your HT.

(for HDTV)
              ...When you no longer want to watch football at any location than your house to see it in High Def. and you start making up excuses why you need to leave.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• H.Donald
                • Aug 2004

When your children refer to your system as Dad's toys...

When you have replaced and upgraded every cable,wire and power cord...filled your speaker stands with sand,have dedicated outlets for amp,processor ect...have found perfect placement for your speakers...your system sounds great and you feel it is the best it can be...there is a tint of sadness....but wait you hear about a guy on a mountian side in Mexico making pure platinum connects..I bet my system would really sound good if I could get a hold of them...

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Good one, Donald.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                    Yeah, sliced bread is highly over-rated. :>)

Burke
                    Burke I love that response! :rofl:

:T
                    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• ht_addict
                      • Dec 2002

When your thinking of selling the receiver you just traded for and picking up another.

ht_addict

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                        Former Moderator
                        • Jan 2002

...............When you sell so many pieces of equipment and have some many upgrades shipped to you every week, that now you noticed your home is being watched by under-cover police in a parked car two houses away. :E
                        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• ht_addict
                          • Dec 2002

This one I could get in real trouble for so I'm going to hide it. You get more excitement out of a new piece of equipment than you do out of doing the nasty with the wife :E

ht_addict

Comment

• aarsoe
                            • May 2004

Thank god it have not come to that yet. I can only recommend one thing if that is true!

UPGRADE!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                              • May 2004

this is unreal!!!...I do exactly what all of you guys mentioned above, yet I can't think of a clever one....probably cause you guys get them all. Great thread....whomever started this...

Comment

• Sithlord
                                • Aug 2004

When girls at work complain how guys aren't satisfying them and you reply "Maybe you need another port or a firmware update"

Comment

• mcwilson
                                  • Sep 2004

... your last trip to the ER was when you tried to lift your new amplifier out of the box

... your wife refuses to watch movies with you because you keep rewinding scenes to hear the cool audio

... your basement is worth more than the combined value of the top two levels of your house (including furniture, etc.) and your cars

... your AMEX skymiles card has enough points to fly around the planet 10 times based solely on your HT purchases

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2003

McWilson

... your basement is worth more than the combined value of the top two levels of your house (including furniture, etc.) and your cars
                                    When can we come round for a movie night? :T

We'll bring Pizza! You supply the beer :beer:

Geoff

Comment

• mcwilson
                                      • Sep 2004

Aussie Geoff -

Anytime! Pick a movie and bring a snack. The bar is stocked!

And I have a couple more:

... you're on a first name basis with the UPS, FedEx, and DHL drivers!

... the UPS, FedEx, and DHL vans were all in your driveway at the same time on more than one occasion!

Comment

• aarsoe
                                        • May 2004

When the first thing you do at 5.30 AM in the morning, while waiting for the coffee to run through, is to scan ebay.com , ebay.co.uk and ebay.de for any good deals on "new" gear..

And the second thing you do, now while sipping that cup of mocca, is to go to this site........

Comment

• ekkoville
                                          • Aug 2004

ht addict, you just need to find away to incorporate them both at the same time!!!

Erik

Comment

• H.Donald
                                            • Aug 2004

When you watch a movie with your kids you care way more about the soundtrack and special effects than the content of the movie.

When you watch a movie with your wife and you care way more about the soundtrack and special effects than the content of the movie.

You have in storage the cables that you upgraded from...but also the cables that you upgraded from before that.

If the total cost of your cables is greater than the cost of most peoples systems.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

...when your gear weighs almost as much as a car!
                                              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                • May 2004

True storie - when your invited to a closed cinema session to watch the final clipping of a movie and you "accidentially" tell the director that the sound clipping in a certain scene was wrong, the plane overhead was going from left to right, but when the camera position was swicthed 180 it was still going left to rigth and not right to left as it should have done..

Well - needles to say I was never invited again from that director..

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                  • Jul 2004

...when you refuse to watch movies until your sub has arrived.
                                                  ...when you spend hours contemplating 'what would I do different, for my HT, if I won the lottery'.
                                                  ...when you make a list in your head of what's wrong with your friend's/family member's HTIB they're showing off proudly to you.

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                    • Jul 2004

When your 4 year old son demands to hear his music on your HT system, because his little portable cd player "stinks". Hooked @ the age of 4!!! :T :E :rofl: 8O
                                                    Last edited by Prozakk; 14 October 2004, 15:19 Thursday.

Comment

• GlennG
                                                      • Oct 2004

Man it sure is good to know that I'm not alone in this. Thank You My Twins.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                                                        ...when your gear weighs almost as much as a car!
                                                        ... and costs MORE than a car? :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

Amen Burke!!!

Comment

• Claude D D
                                                            • Jan 2003

...when you have a problem justifying spending $400 on a pair of earrings for your wife on her 30th birthday.But have no problem at all spending $75+ a week on new DVD's and CD's. :T
                                                            ...when you spend more on software than on clothes.

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                              • Dec 2002

Wen you look in the mirror and tell yourself. No More Upgrading. Here's a couple picks of my setup before and after changing out pieces over the last 6mths.

Before:

After:

ht_addict

Comment

• purplepeople
                                                                • Aug 2004

When you get home from a party at 1:45AM and check HTG for new posts....

ensen.
                                                                Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                                  • Oct 2002

When your dealer is calling you every day since 8 years, even when he takes a day off, and each days when he's on vacation...

And if you don't talk together for 2 days, he calls home to check with your wife if you're ok...

And your dealer, when calling you at work, doesn't have to present himself because all your 75 employes recognize his voice...

And each time your dealer got some cool new stuff (projector, speakers, amps, pre/pro, DVD-players, CD-players...) he calls you to try it at your place (and bring all his staff) because "your installation is better then my room at the store..."

And when your dealer sometimes tell HIS customers to call you when they have "technical" questions. It's always funny, because people are always really surprised the dealer gave them a pharmacist phone number, and telling me "I never tought a pharmacist would help me with questions concerning electronics...".

And when people are coming at your pharmacy, and after waiting in line with other people waiting for their medications, are asking to see the pharmacist, at the counter, to ask him what TV or receiver they should buy, or how to connect something, because they heard you were really "knowledgeable" about home theater...

Like yesterday, someone did wait in line for 20 minutes to ask me "what's a DVI connection? and how do I use it?" He was refered at my pharmacy by a seller at the local "Stereo Plus"...

And when doctors are calling you at work (a pharmacist) to ask you which DVD-player they should buy...
                                                                  To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

Well now you can at least tell the doctors what to do Alain!!!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2003

heh. I work for doctors (oncologists). What would be an acheivement is If they actually buy something that costs more than $100 that you recommend. Now that would surprise me. For their income, they act like they make the same money as someone at mcdonalds...
                                                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by LEVESQUE
                                                                        Like yesterday, someone did wait in line for 20 minutes to ask me "what's a DVI connection? and how do I use it?" He was refered at my pharmacy by a seller at the local "Stereo Plus"...
                                                                        That's too funny. I just got this visual image of something out of the movie "Airplane", coming up to Information Desk one by one.

Customer 1: "Do you have something for headaches?"

Pharmacist: "Here, take two asprin and call me in the morning."

Customer 2: "Do you sell Trojan condoms?"

Pharmacist: "Certainly, sir, aisle 5."

Customer 3: "What's a DVI connection, and how do I use it?"

Pharmacist: "DVI is a purely digital video connection, much better than other analog connections. You'll need newer digital equipment with a DVI port to pass the signal straight to the TV. Aisle 9."

Customer 4: "How do I fake an orgasm?"

(scene cuts away)
                                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                          heh. I work for doctors (oncologists). What would be an acheivement is If they actually buy something that costs more than $100 that you recommend. Now that would surprise me. For their income, they act like they make the same money as someone at mcdonalds...
                                                                          I've made friends w/ a Dr. @ work. He said all of his equipment, I said mine...he commented..."and YOU'RE IN MAINTENANCE???" :E

I stated: "I'm sure you have a larger house, & more expensive autos." He smiled. I'm sure that made his ego re-inflate! :rofl:

Comment

• Prozakk
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2004
                                                                            • 104

You know your a HT addict when..... you are at a BB or CC, & you give fellow customers TRUTHFUL/KNOWLEDGEABLE advice.

Comment

• choppi
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2004
                                                                              • 2

wife objects to volume

[QUOTE=Adz
                                                                              When you sit down with your wife to watch a movie and she leaves pissed off because you refuse to turn the volume down.[/QUOTE]
                                                                              Oh oh - Your wife wants you to turn the volume down ?? That does not sound good. Is it possible your system is causing 'peaky' sharp higher frequency sounds which you are unable to hear (or which you hear at such a low level that they are not a problem to you) ? 'They' say women often have better high frequency hearing than men.
                                                                              My girlfriend is happy to sit and listen to my analogue sources at very high volume levels, even though her hearing is much better than mine. Some CDs though, make her cover her ears - even when played back on my Sony SCD 777 ES, which has never been accused of being too bright.
                                                                              Maybe you should have some younger ears give your system a careful listen. If there is some extra energy up there in the 10-20 KHz band, or some distortion up there, you could roll it off by changing cables.

Comment

• Cowanrg
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2004
                                                                                • 225

...not one single piece of gear in your system is older than 1 year

...you refuse to let anyone listen to your system because its "not right" because you are using a cheap ($100) sub cable while the active shielding on your synergistic research resolution reference gets fixed.

...when you scoff at any dvd player costing less than $500

if you didnt notice, the "you" was "me"

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"