How do you feed the signal to your projector?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

How do you feed the signal to your projector?

I'm just curious. I've got a traditional HT setup, equipment rack next to the TV. If I was to get a projector, I'd have that mounted close to the back wall, or on the ceiling. But distance from my DVD player to the projector concerns me. Firstly, how long can you run component cable before signal degredation? Second any quality cable, like CAT Cables, of >2M starts to get expensive, at least for me. I imagine I'd need at least 4M, 1M up from the DVD player to ceiling then 3M to the projector.

Another option I have is to use our laptop for DVD playback. I've used it before and have been very happy with its performance. Also, my laptop has a digital connection. I would sit it ontop of my HT rack, run the digital out to my receiver, and hookup a long VGA cable to the projector. Works great. Only problem is navigating menus since the laptop is not next to us. Though that could be solved with a longer coax cable.

So how do you run your video signal to your projector? Do you use a long run of component cables out of your DVD player to the projector? Are you using a HTPC and thus using the VGA cable?

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

You'll need a decent length of component or RGB cable. As long as the quality of the cable is decent, the cable is shielded, and it isn't run parallel to a power cable, you should be fine. My friend, that I helped install the Pro895X for, used a 25' RGBHV (5-wire) cable.

If you went with a CAT cable, I'm sure Lex would be willing to give you a bulk discount! :B

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

I am using 21 foot true-video (75 ohm) component cables (with RCA plugs at one end and BNC connectors at the other) custom-made by ElectroTex, Inc. to my projector from my DVD player and an S-video cable of the same length custom-made by Monster to my projector from my pre/pro for all non-DVD sources with no degradation of signal. I've read on cable vendor sites that runs of up to 50 feet should still be ok, and that the signal would be down about 3db at 100 feet (meaning a signal booster box would be advisable at lengths greater than that) .

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Pat
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

I have a 30' cable that has a VGA connector on one end and 5 BNC connectors on the other.
        The VGA side connects to my DVDO iScan and the BNC's go to the PJ.

Pat's Page
        Pat's Page

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I run a component cable driect from the Sony dvd player to my lcd projector. The run is 25 feet and the cable was made especially for me a few years ago by my technician son. It has RCAs for the outs and BNCs for the ins on the projector. I also run a Monster S-Video cable of the same length. I bought this about 5 years ago and can't recall how much it was, but it was expensive. There is no degradation in the signal with either of these cables.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Wireless
            • Feb 2001

I'm running a 25' 5 BNC to HD15 cable from my Faroudja DVP 2200, My HTPC is connected with a 6' cable to the Faroudja's passthrough connector. My DV09 is connected to the Component input and the CLD99 to the S-Video of the Faroudja. I've hooked the HTPC straight to the projector and there was no difference to my eyes in pq versus the passthrough.

John
            My HT Picts
            John
            My HT Picts

Comment

• Westly197
              • Aug 2000

I relocated all my equipment in a closet at the back of the room. The projector is also in this closet and I cut a small window in the wall where the lens on the projector is (The projector is in the closet at the top, above the closet door). I use a high quality 6' component cable and a 6' VGA cable to connect my computer and DVD player to the projector. Since they are both at the back of the room, only my front speaker cables have to be long. I also had to get an IR repeating system for the remotes to work. On the other side of the closet is my garage, and I installed a small door to access the back of the components and wiring. I also had to install a small array of fans (that run very slowly to keep them silent) to move the hot air out of the closet.

- Wes

My Home Theater
              - Wes

My Home Theater

Comment

• Westly197
                • Aug 2000

PS, the link to my home theater has not been updated, so you see my old setup.

- Wes

My Home Theater
                - Wes

My Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"