X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • number17
    • Jul 2004

Energy Encore vs B&W 303 / 601

I have been shopping around for a set of HT speakers and I think I'm down to either the Energy Encore or the B&W 300 series.

I went to Audioshop in Ottawa to get a listen of the Energy Encore and the first thing that striked me was how SMALL the speakers are. I have never seen the speakers in real and I always thought the speakers are bookshelf size ... so it was a susprise when I saw that the box's so small. I listened to a movie (Driven) and some music and I was surprised at how well these tiny little speakers perform. While I think the encores are better for movies than music, that's what I use it for 90% of the times anyways.

Audioshop quoted me Cdn$1,400 + tax for the set. I kindda wished I get a bigger sub than the 8" that comes in the system but it would do for now. I can always upgrade / add another sub later on.

I tried a few systems then, including Polk Audio and PSB Image series ... didn't come close to Encore for performance nor value, and I thought the Encores were a no-brainer.

But then I dropped by Regency HT systems in Toronto, and got a listen of the B&W 300 series. I never thought much of the 300 series cos honestly, I always thought most entry level speakers of these big name companies are crap. The 300 series turned out to be a pleasant surprise though ... the 300 series has a wider soundstage than the Encores, and has more resolution to it, potentially because it has a bigger box. I think while the Encores come out as 'sharper' and more accurate in the high end, the B&W sounded 'deeper'. The 300 series system comes out to be ~ $100 more than the Encores, and the guy said I could also upgrade the 2 front speakers to 601 for $200 more, and the center to LCR600 S3 for another $200. These prices are before negotiation so I can probably get them down a tad more. The other cool thing about the B&W system is because it doesn't come in a set like the Encores, I won't have to take the B&W Sub ... and I most probably won't. I'll probably get a HSU STM-2 or something like that instead for the $$.

So what do you guys think? I was impressed by both systems. On one hand i think the Encores sounded 'clearer' and 'sharper' at the high end, and are overall a quick response set of speakers, but on the other hand I think the B&W 300, maybe due to its box size, has more depth and resolution to it. I could also upgrade to the 601, which I probably will ... if just for listening to music. I am not sure the upgrade of the CS is worth it though.

I'm on a budget so I definitely want to get the whole speakers set for under Cdn$2000 ... and preferrably closer to $1.6-1.7k than $2k. Other than the speakers I've looked at, is there anything else you guys suggest at that price?

Meanwhile I'm also looking for a used receiver ... I like the marantaz 5400D ... if someone knows anybody who's selling one at good price please let me know.

thanks!
  • Brian Barnes
    • Jul 2004

I checked out the encore package and compared it to Klipsh & Paradigm. I orginally liked the Encore compared to the Klipsh (Klipsh sounds like a horn) but when I listened to the Paradigm speakers I was sold. Don't get me wrong the Encores were nice but they did not carry the range that the Paradigm bookshelf speakers. I posted a thread titled "$3000 Challenge" check it out, I received some really good advice in my selection process. I am building a HT system on a $3000 budget so I knew I could not spend a ton of money on speakers but as I was advised numerous times, don't skimp on the speakers. Ultimately, the wife would not allow me to get anything bigger than bookshelf speakers. Here is the system that I am planning on buying.

Here were my original selections:
    TV: Sony 30" Wide Screen HDTV model :KV30HS420 $999
    DVD player: Zenith DVB318 or LG equivalant $200
    Receiver: Denon AVR 1804 $400
    Speakers: Energy Encore $1000
    :::::::::::system Total: $2600 (plus cables, connectors, etc...)

And here is where I am now with my choices:
    TV: Sony 30" Wide Screen HDTV model :KV30HS420 $899 currently offering $100 rebate.
    DVD player: Denon 1910 $250 (due out Later in August)
    Receiver: Denon AVR 2805 $550 (refurb)
    Speakers: Paradigm: Monitor 3, Cinema 90, CC-330 & PDR-12 $1272
    :::::::::::: System Total: $2977 (plus cables, connectors etc...)

Not sure if this helps you out but thought I would throw out what I went thru. Once again, you will not go wrong with the encores, but I was more impressed with the Paradigm speakers. If you do go with the Encore system, don't buy their subs. I have been told numerous times to stay away from their sub. Some popular subs are HSU, SVS http://hsuresearch.com/ http://www.svsubwoofers.com/

Brian

Comment

• number17
      • Jul 2004

I gotta check out the Paradigm's then.

As for the sub ... I talked to Audioshop (in Ottawa) but they wouldn't sell me the Encores without the sub .... and that's another advantage with going with the B&W's ... I don't have to buy their sub and I can spend my $$ on better sub's like HSU STM-2 instead.

What's you guy's take on the B&W 330 and 601 speakers though? There aren't too many reviews on the web and I wanna know what you guys think of these speakers.

Also, the price that I got for these speakers ... are they in the ballpark or should I press for more?

Energy Encores 5.1 = Cdn$1600 tax included
      B&W 4 x DM303 + 1 x LCR3 + 1 x ASW300 = Cdn$1700 tax included.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"