X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Doubling Up of Main Speakers

So just for kicks today I hooked up my B&W 601's in tandem with my B&W 603's while listening to stereo music. The 601's were powered by separate amps as were the 603's, 120W/ch to each speaker.

Holy man does it every have bag by doing this. I have often wondered what the system would sound like with the 601's on top of the 603's, kinda like a pseudo line array. Well I got my answer today, my ears are still ringing from the output. I must have been listening to it at a much louder level than I realized.

Sonically it seemed a bit compressed though the presence was very real sounding. I think the compression feel may be due to the fact that I was sitting too close to the speakers (~ 7'). I would need more room if I was to keep this as a permament configuration. Center stage certainly took on a deeper, more solid feel and the system seemed to have a lot more punch overall.

My question is, Am I performing a sonic faux pau by doing this?

Bing
    Bing
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Bing, I would have concern about what this does to overal imaging. Why? Because you have effectively just created 2 dispersion patterns, that are going to converge. What happends when the two dispersions converge? Well, you could have overemphasis of some frequency ranges, and underemphasis of others. At least that would be my concern, but then I may be way off base.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

That sounds like a valid point Lex, but how would this differ from speakers that have multiple mids, woofers and tweeters?

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Wow Bing,,You sure do live on the edge some times.

Anyways as long as you don't accidentally get them stuck together permenently you should be OK!

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Well live on the edge with me brother... lets take your Studio 60's and stack them on top of the Studio 100's, lezz see, that would be 220 watts to the 100's, 170W(?) to the 60's, 2 SVS's and 2 servo 15's, Baby we would be blown right off of the edge :B :B

Seriously, I have always wanted to experiment like this, even if it is goofy. It's kinda like those concert stages where they have "Many Speakers".

lex, I didn't notice a degredation in imaging, however I was impressed by the sonic presence and punch, which may have overwhelmed any imaging errors present.

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

You guys are scary.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Bing did you have the top one inverted so the tweeters were in the middle or was the top on upright?

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Andrew, Actually I had the 601's beside the 603's on the outside. The stands the 601's are on are slightly taller that the 603's. The reason I didn't take them off the stands are because I have the speakers 2 sided taped to the stands, and I didn't want to break the bond.

The though would be to invert the speaker as you mentioned to couple the tweeters.... Is this your thought process?

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

George,

Scary as in, "Those guys have strange ideas but are relatively harmless?"

Or scary as in, "I'm staying the hell away from those guys?"

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Bing yes to couple the tweeters. MTM designs do something similar to this ..might be fun to try

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Bing-
                      Both. Heh.Heh.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"