X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rich0372
    • Jul 2004

ACURUS A200x3

I was wondering if anybody has or listened to a Acurus A200x3 I know someone selling for cheap $350 I have a rotel rmb 1080 for mains would the sound match I would use it for center and rears It would be a quick fix so I could get my rsp1068 :B Rich
  • aaron
    • Aug 2004

I own an Acurus A200X3. I use it for my center and surround channels, driving a B&W CDM-CNT and CDM1-NT's. It's mated with an Aragon 8008 ST (old school true Mondial Designs piece before the Klipsch buyout). That piece drives my CDM9-NT mains. Everything is fed from a recently purchased Rotel RSP-1068.

The Acurus power is clean and in my opinion, a bargain at that price assumming the condition is mint. Admittedly, I have never used it to run my mains to compare for any critical listening, but I do recall it was the best bang for the buck in it's day and the experts agreed. It's well built, with a general aura of quality similar to its Mondial cousin, the Aragon. I think I still have an old issue or two of Stereophile and HT Mag reviews on it.

I don't think you could go wrong scooping it up.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

That's a good value if you can pick it up.

Acurus were built to the basic same sound quality standard as Aragon, but they didn't have the arc welder current output capability for really difficult low impedance (sub 4 ohm) loads.

For the majority of speakers, they'll work quite well. For surrounds, they'd definitely be "under stressed".

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Go for it! For movie surround duty the Acurus may be overkill, but what the hey. It's nice to have that level of quality in the surrounds, especially when playing multichannel SACD and DVD-Audio. And $350 is less than the price difference between the A200x3 and the A100x3 when they were new

I'm using an Acurus A100x3 for surround channel duty and it works fine. The A200x3 would provide a little more headroom and would be just as clean and capable of handling reasonable speaker loads. When I got my Magnepan MG 3.6s, I used the Acurus to drive them before I got the BEL 1001 Mk V, and it did a creditable job with the Maggies even though I had been warned that the Acurus might not be up to the task. (The Maggies are a more stable load than a lot of people realize and the Acurus is a lot more capable than many of those same folks seem willing to admit.)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"