X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

new Aragon Pre amp

Home Audio Products for Every Lifestyle, Application & Budget. Since 1946, no compromises in Legendary Sound. Free Shipping on All Online Orders in the US.

SHIPPING IN MID-FEBRUARY!

The Aragon Stage One is a new high-end THX® Ultra2 Certified preamplifier and processor with a built-in tuner. This technologically enhanced unit supports 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 decoding for today’s most popular digital formats including DTS-ES and THX® surround EX.

The Stage One utilizes 24bit/192kHz DACs and adheres to Mondial Designs’ classic minimalist design approach and THX® Ultra2 specifications, which together ensure the highest level of premium performance and reliability.

The Stage One circuitry was designed, above all else, to do no harm to the audio and video signals. The intuitive, one-touch user interface not only allows the front panel to be striking without being overloaded with rows and rows of buttons, but it also eliminates the need for on-screen character generators that compromise video signals. Wide bandwidth relays allow HDTV, Component Video, Progressive Scan, composite and S-Video signals to be routed without signal degradation.

The Stage One features a machined aluminum front panel with an engraved Aragon logo and elegant blue LED lighting that perfectly complements the available black or silver finish options. A software controlled dimmer function allows consumers to choose full or half brightness, as well as allowing them to completely turn off the LED lighting.

The Stage One has a full complement of digital and analog audio and video inputs and outputs and control jacks including seven A/V inputs and an on-board AM/FM tuner. The large vacuum tube florescent display adds to the user-friendly, ease-of-operation and a learning, preprogrammed infrared remote control comes with each unit. In-the-field software upgrades are possible, if needed, through in-system programmability via an RS-232 port.

• Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Aragon couldn't have said it better themselves! :>) Looks like a high quality unit with a nice complement of advanced features.

But it always amuses me when a manufacturer leaves something out (like OSD) and then feels compelled to do verbal cartwheels to try to make sure its omission is perceived as a positive "feature". :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Personally I see the lack of OSD as a HUGE plus. I hate walking in and out of menus just to control a function. Have a friend with the new Lexicon MC-12. He goes through 5 menus just to change an input or speaker output level. To me that's nuts.

I tend to 'gain-ride' during action movies. So OSD would be completely disruptive to the viewing experience. As a result I'd never buy a processor with OSD.

It will be interesting to find out how the 'new' Aragon compares with the old.....

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Burke I tend to agree with Thomas on this one...now that I've had chance to use my old Denon 3300 with its fairly nice OSD vs my new Sony pre amp w/o OSD I have to say the Sony is actually easier to use...its also a lot faster to change a pharameter on the fly vs cueing up the OSD.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

You guys just need to try a pre/pro that has the best of both worlds -- with a very user-friendly OSD (which is available at user's option on one monitor output, but by design is completely absent from the other) for easy owner-capable set up -- but with a lot of truly useful "on the fly" adjustments (like individual relative channel level adjustments) from buttons on the remote.

I won't belabor the point by mentioning which brand and model of high quality pre/pro has these features... but I sure enjoy mine. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Burke I was only trying to say that OSD can be useful but IMO its not as big a requirement if the setup screens on the face of the unit are done right. The Denon's display is certinalty not set up for doing OSD type interface ....its to small and not as clear as what the TA-E gives us. Given that we look at the pre pro's display all the time I'm glad its large enough for OSD work since it means its large enough to read from across the room...unlike the volume display on the denon's.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The OSD on my unit is pretty user friendly. And I am fortunate enough to have channel adjustment on the fly so, no need to access the OSD for that. I maybe wrong but, this maybe standard with units featuring Dialog Normalization.

I had a Sony reciever a few years back and have to agree with Andrew that, they really have a well laid out display. I feel that if the OSD is well thought out, then I don't mind them on my unit. But if a unit is done as well as the Sony's are then there is no need.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Kotches
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

I saw the "unveiling" of these at CEDIA 2001, and I know I published pictures.

The Soundstage 1 is going to be followed up by a higher end piece (the Soundstage 2).

Looks like Klipsch is letting the R&D money fly

Also, with respect to OSD, a well designed processor should give the user the option of having OSD on or off. B&K got this right...

Regards,

---
                Editor, PC/Home Theater
                Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
                My Home Theater
                NEC LT-150 specific page.
                ---
                Editor, PC/Home Theater
                Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
                My Home Theater
                NEC LT-150 specific page.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

The Aragon is a looker. Very nice. But trust me on blue front displays. Across the room? There's no worse color. So, no OSD + blue display = Very bad combination. Many times, I cannot see my MC-1 front panel from 12 feet away. Blue get's fuzzy. Amber is much more readable from the same distance. I know, I have had both.

Nice piece, but I would have liked to have seen somthing else break up all that stainless. Something like the MC12's base.

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I agree doug amber is easier to see for the most part..esp when you can't dim the blue down a little so its not so bright. On my Sony I can dim the display from 100 percent to 0 percent (I think I have it at 50 percent now) so once I dim it its a lot easier to read.

I do have a personal dislike for lights though so unless you can turn off (and keep off) that blue glow I'd have to return it.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"