• Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Plug my 5 channel into my 2 channel ?

Hey duders!

I have a Rotel 1056

I want to plug my Mains using the Pre Outs....

Into my ????

I have a YBA Pre Amp....plugged to a 2 channel amp with only one main in

How do I plug it ?

I want my mains from my 2 channel driven by the 2 channel amp but by the 1056 Pre amp for 5 channel

get it ?
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    • Jun 2002

get it ?
    Nope.

Are you trying to drive both a two-channel and a five-channel amp from the pre amp?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Hey Bam! -

Presumably you have your two channel music sources such as CD and phonograph (turntable) connected to the two channel preamp and multichannel sources (DVD, satellite feed, etcetera) connected to the Rotel and want to use the same two main speakers for both two channel music and as the front left/right mains for the surround system.

To do that, you need to use the two channel power amplifier to drive them and connect the main (front L/R) preouts from your Rotel to left/right channel line level inputs on your two channel preamp and then connect the outputs from the two channel preamp to the power amp driving the front L/R speakers.

Ideally, the input on the preamp used for the connection from the Rotel should be labeled "unity gain" or some other term such as "front channel bypass for multichannel" meaning it was designed for hybrid use and will allow use of the volume control of the Rotel to adjust all channels for surround program material, while using the preamp's volume control for two channel music.

If the preamp does not have a "unity gain" input, then any line level input will work, with an important limitation, depending on the input. If the two channel preamp has a tape input/output loop that is not affected by the volume control that would be a good alternative. It would work just about the same as a unity gain input using the Rotel's volume control, but you would need to remember to engage the "tape loop" when playing surround material.

You could also use a CD or Aux input on the two channel preamp but then you will have to adjust the volume of the front two channels with the preamp volume control even when using surround sources via the Rotel, which would only control the other channels' volume. That is doable but a bit more cumbersome if you have to change volume a lot (might need to keep your sound pressure level meter handy, too, to keep things in balance.) :>)

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Thanks Burke!

I guess the one's getting to know me understand my dribble... :lol:

So dumb question...

Why set the Pre Amp of the 2 channel to a certain volume....does that mean the volume on the Pre Amp of the 5 channel won' t adjust the mains ?

Thanks so much!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Bam!
          I guess the one's getting to know me understand my dribble... :lol:
          Yep -- I guess I'm getting used to reading "Bam-ese". :>)

Why set the Pre Amp of the 2 channel to a certain volume....does that mean the volume on the Pre Amp of the 5 channel won' t adjust the mains ?
          The 5 channel preamp will adjust the volume level of the mains, but the volume of the mains might be out of balance with the rest of the channels if the two chanel preamp also affects the volume of the input from the 5 channel preamp.

If the two channel preamp has a 'unity gain" input that you use to connect the output from the 5 channel pre/pro, then the 5 channel pre/pro will control the volume for all channels at the same rate -- no problem here (IOW, the input connected from the 5 channel preamp to the two channel preamp is not affected by the two channel's volume control, which would be the case with either a dedicated "unity gain" input or a tape monitor loop.)

However, if you are using a "regular" line level input on the two channel amp for which the two channel's volume control changes the volume, then the volume level of the front two channels would have to be adjusted so that it is in balance with the rest of the channels when you use the five channel preamp. Otherwise, depending on the level you were using to listen to two channel music, the front two channels might be too loud or too soft when you switch to 5 channels.

Does that make more sense now?

Thanks so much!
          You're welcome! Hope this works for you.

Burke

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

:yesnod:

:T

Bam ese!!! :rofl:

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

Burke!

I did it...

Works like a charm....

Thank the lord you mentioned the volume thingy...since I would still be wondering why there is no sound!

Great stuff...the volume is controlled by the 5 channel receiver! That's what I wanted!

Thanks again! :T

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Bam!

You're welcome. Glad you got it working the way you want!

Also, it is always gratifying to get feedback letting us know what happened after trying to answer someone's request for help on something -- thanks for following through like you do!

Burke

Comment

• Bam!
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2004

Burke!

here's the way I see it....

If you are nice enough to take the time to answer my Bamese question...then the least I can do is tell you it worked!

I must say 2 channel sound in 5 channel...... :E

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"