X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MichiganMike
    • Mar 2004

Recycling Parasound C2 Controller for 2 Channel Audio

The price of used C2 controllers in good condition is about 30% of the MSRP when new. These are no longer state of the art for home theater and are spurned by many potential HT buyers because of the lack of HDMI video inputs. However, the audio quality through both digital and analog inputs is competitive with many more expensive preamps. The aesthetics and flexibility of controls of the C2 are also very good.

I am using a C2 controller as a preamp in a two channel system powered by McIntosh 501 amps to drive Salk speakers with excellent results. I currently have four sources connected to the C2:
    1) a Denon 2900 DVD player used primarily for DVD-A and SACD but also a fine CD player in its own right; both analog RCA and digital coax outputs from the Denon are used in my system.
    2) a Classe CDP-10 which is a highly rated CD player from several years ago; balanced analog outputs are connected through direct balanced inputs on the C2, plus digital coax and analog RCA outputs are also connected.
    3) an inexpensive Yamaha multidisc player used primarily in shuffle mode for background music at gatherings; both analog RCA outputs into the direct 7.1 inputs of the C2 and digital optical output are connected to the C2.
    4) an analog RCA input on the C2 connects to my Ipod.

I am enjoying both the audio quality the C2 controller provides as a preamp and the ability to switch between digital and analog inputs using different DACs in the source or the C2 to tailor the sound. IMHO the C2 controller offers a relatively inexpensive preamp and DAC option for two channel systems that deserves more consideration.
  • blownrx7
    • Dec 2004

Newer does not always mean better

Hey MichignMike,
    I heartily agree with you!
    I would put the Proceed equipment into that same category at an even lower price point compared to the Halo C1/C2.
    The latest and greatest does not always buy you superior sound.
    Lets keep this to ourselves lest we start driving the prices back up

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I tell you what, after all this time, I'm still completely happy with my C1's audio quality. Paired with the Zhd HDMI switcher and an outboard HDMI audio decoder, (passed through the C1) I'm not missing out on any audio decoding or processing capabilities. The only thing that's possible is that I might be missing on a bit of audio quality, since it's not all onboard the C1 itself. Do I still want a new Parasound Halo pre-pro that does it ALL? Absolutely. But until then, I'm plenty happy with what I've got, and the awesome performance it gives. Not remotely considering ditching my C1.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• cameronl
        • Jul 2004

hi, I am still happy with mine to :-)

I have a high end sound card (LynxTWO-B) giving me 5.1 with my C2 and it still sounds great imo. I use Windows 7 for full bass management and uncompressed audio for music and hidef.

Despite what the marketing says, I am still sure that analogue sounds great. :-)

CaM

Comment

• slayer
          • Dec 2005

I'm still using my C2 as well. Love it. Still the best looking components out there. Works flawless. I just picked up a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC to cuddle up to it when I'm in 2ch. Really hoping it kicks my 2ch into another level. I've been using a Toshiba SD-9200 as my cd and dvd audio player. I've read it will also play SACD discs in 2ch but have yet to try it. I run both digital and analog out of it to the C2. I find myself going back and forth between inputs deciding which unit has the better sounding dac. It's close but I've never been happy with my 2ch performance. Well see if the Tri-Vista changes that.
          Parasound Halo C2
          Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
          Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
          Oppo BDP103
          Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
          Xbox One
          Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
          Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
          BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
          Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
          Energy Veritas 2.0i center
          CAT Tiburon series side surround
          Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
          Velodyne SMS-1
          Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"