How does your pre/pro stack up for two channel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

How does your pre/pro stack up for two channel?

Some pre/pros that are highly regarded for the quality of their presentation on HT surround modes (DTS, DD 5.1, et al) are not considered truly appropriate for "audiophile" two channel music playback, especially those lacking an analog pass-through. Others have DACs that are easily surpassed by external DAC unbits, and in some cases, even a "reasonably priced" CD players' DACs.

A few other pre/pros were designed as "two-channel-music-first" units and the surround modes are more like a "bonus". Some lack a number of the latest "bells and whistles" that dedicated HT "fanatics" insist on, manufacturers championing the quality of their two channel presentation as the paramount concern on their design.

As examples, in my research earlier in the year, I read that a lot of owners of the B&K Ref 30, while ecstatic about its overall quality and operating features, were "lining up" to add external DACs for music playback. The Classe pre/pro was singeled out as being great for music without any help from additional add-on processors -- in a class with dedicated high end preamps (and of course, cost plenty). :>) In fact after looking at the prices of competing models, at one point in my deliberations, I even considered getting a pre/pro for HT and stand-alone high end two channel preamp with HT "pass through", instaed of an all-in-one box.

But I was pleased to discover a pre/pro that does music so well I am not even tempted to look at "add ons" (OK, I'm using a Lehmann Black Cube for my phono stage, but I already had that). :>) And I'm even more pleased that it came in at a price that I could afford without jeopardizing my retirement fund. :>) After several months' use, I am even more convinced that it was the right choice for both HT and two channel music in my system,and feel that it can be rceommended "out of the box:" as an excellent choice for either one. I'm really glad I've been able "converge" my music and HT systems all the way.

How do you feel about your pre/pro for two channel music playback?

- "Good enough as is",
    - "Needs augmentation with external DACs, etcetera" or
    - "Separate music and HT systems -- couldn't find anything that met my standards for both in one box",
    - "N/A - I don't ever listen to music",
    - "Other"
    (please amplify -- no pun intended). :>)

Any observations or comments on use of pre/pros in a dual role? Any feed back on your particular equipmemt with regard to this?

Burke

*This Message was edited on 15-Dec-01 10:32 PM by Burke Strickland*

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Good topic!

"Separate music and HT systems -- couldn't find anything that met my standards for both in one box"

That would be my answer, although I don't think (in my instance) it has to do with my standards. I've always wanted, and finally have, a separate room for 2-channel listening only. This being the case, I didn't have a need for a processor when searching for preamps (although I did ask Cary to mod my pre with a unity gain input 'just in case').

Q.
    Q.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Well my Denon 3300 was decent in HT but its internal DAC's were easily bettered by the MSB Link DAC I that I had. My Sony 9000ES hasn't arrived yet so I'll update my post when i've had a chance to compare the two...

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Well now, here's a can of worms.

Well, I was happy with my MC-1 for music, my primary reference point being the DC-1 I owned previously. That said, the MC-1 did basically everything better than the DC-1, both music and movies. Largely due to it's quiter noise floor, and improved 24 bit DACs, rather than 20 bit DACs.

So, there I was, happy for all intent and purposes, when low and behold, a need arised that I hadn't counted on. That is, to be able to test XLR cables. Sure, I could do continuity tests on them, but there is nothing like a system test to make sure a product is right before it ships.

In comes the Classe' CP-35 pre-amp, a mere 600 buck piece, that quickly using only the 20 bit DACs in my Sony S7000 DVD player, told a story that hadn't been told before. Indeed, this arrangement bettered my 2 channel listening experience by a large magnatude. I was shocked. But became so enamored that now that I had my 2 channel system for all intent and purposes, separate, began thinking that maybe my CD player was still holding this Classe' back.

Enter, Rega Jupiter CD player with awesome 24 bit DACs. Now it seems, that positive step I achieved with the Classe', had again been bettered by the new combo. I was amazed, and in awe of my sound system then.

If I never upgrade another 2 channel component. (fat chance), I think I could be very happy with this setup, and yes, there is no going back for me. 2 channel will remain separated, even if joined at the hip by an AMP that is versitile enough to accept both RCA and XLR, and use either at the flip of a switch-

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Processors MUST have a pass through/bypass mode, (like Sony EDP9ES) or be used with preamp supporting multiple analog 5.1 inputs and total bypass, to facilitate a SOTA stereo preamp. (if the systems are to be joined). Otherwise, it's separate rooms, and that's not in my budget. The new Sony P9000 could meet those requirements, depending on how good it's bypass or analog sections are. Hotrodding, anyone?

Right now, I don't see my modified Marchaned PR41 passive preamp being pried out of my hands unless they're dead and cold- or I get a sudden infusion of ludicrous amounts of cash, and can afford an Ayre, or the time and money to build my own.

Regards,

Jon

-Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Jon what are your thoughts on the new sony TA-P9000ES analog pre amp? I'm getting the TA-E9000ES any day now so this might be something I'll look into at some point down the road...

Comment

• Bruce
              • Aug 2000

To be precise, I never had an all-in-one system. I started out with a two separate devices, a stereo preamp and a processor. I focused 90% of my effort on the stereo side, 90%/10% music/HT.

I wanted to integrate DVD but couldn't convince myself to pay the outragous amounts for processors that had less than stellar 2-channel sound, no analog bypass, and seemed to become outdated so quickly (almost like PCs).

The processor I added was a Technics SH500D DD/DTS processor ($200). I didn't use the SH500's bass management output (SUB=NO), but instead sent all bass to the mains and implemented an active Marchand xover between my mains (Dyanudio Contours) and sub (M&K MX700). This gave me use of the sub in 2-channel as well.

This system has given me great music for the past 3 years, but I'm currently thinking about the Bryston SP-1 with it's 2 separate devices (stereo preamp and processor) in a single chassis. As soon as they come out with DPLII I may spring.

Bruce

Bruce

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Andrew, I think the TA-P9000ES is a very interesting and sensible piece; it got a nice writeup in Stereophile lately, and for someone that might want to integrate a couple of analog 5.1 inputs into a system, it's ideal. It actually facilitates the possiblity of quality "low end" approaches for the video side; for example, a lot of high end DVD players have DD decoders of reasonable quality; you could plug one of those into one set of inputs, and an SACD multi-channel output into the other.

Of course, it makes the best sense paired up with the TA-E9000ES preamp. At about $450 from Oade Bros., it's almost a no-brainer.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

The only pre/pro that I have ever owned (and still do) is the H/K AVP1a. I bought it at the time because I was impressed by it's two ch. sound. Now that's not to say that it is an experience to behold, however, enjoyable none the less. Now it does excel at 5 ch. stereo from a 2 ch. source, but real men would never admit to enjoying those gimmicks!

The H/K now does bedroom duties. I hope one day to get an up to date pre/pro, which would make me as happy as the H/K did for it's era. One that does both 2 ch. and HT well. For now I'll have to stick with my receiver.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"