New at this: what is needed to move/integrate my 2 channel to HT?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • canali
    • May 2004

New at this: what is needed to move/integrate my 2 channel to HT?

First my equipment:
    --sony 999es cd/sacd/dvd player
    --pair of gibbon 8 (devore fidelity)
    --svs 20-39pc+ subwoofer
    --Unico (integrated 2 channel analog) amp by unison research...it
    has NO HT bypass or anything...is a 2 channel analog integrated amp.
    ...it did recently have 2 full range preamp outputs installed to run my svs subwoofer at low line level via RCA.
    ...and my Sony flatscreen tv for HT.

Here is my problem: i watch alot of music DVD (from Diana Krall, Norah Jones to Rush, Led Zeppelin) and so music quality is important, and many people say that when you listen to any or these in a GOOD 5.1 HT you'll never go back to 2 channel. ...but the gibbon 8 and unico are VERY wonderfully sounding speakers and i've read it's $$$ to really get a good musical HT system.

BUT i've heard that a good preamp processor is important for very good sound (ie, the expensive lexicon m8 or even the cheaper rotel 1068RSP...then you need a multichannel amp to drive the center and surrounds (i have a pair of older mission 731 pro bookshelf speakers for the rear...need to maybe get the gibbon matching 7.1 for center but it is expensive @ $1500....

I am thinking of selling the whole shebang and just getting some bluesky active monitors (see www.abluesky.com)...say 5 of their 6.5 sats.

This whole area is a bit confusing to me: I basically want something VERY musical & versatile for SACDS (my sony 999es was modded) but also great for Music/concert DVDs, too.

Any suggestions without having to go see my banker is appreciated!

Feel free to email me directly @ joseph.collins@telus.com
    Joe : as i do not always visit this forum.
    Last edited by canali; 19 May 2004, 16:28 Wednesday. Reason: spelling etc
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well the way I see it you've got three options.

1- Add equivelant equipment to your existing gear and build on what you have. Probably the "easiest" but probably also the most expensive. Likely worth it if you have the budget.

2-Keep your existing 2-channel gear for a dedicated 2-channel system and buy a completely seperate, moderately priced 5.1 system for movies. Likely the least expensive and would allow you to maintain your current high quality setup. You'd be able to do critical 2-channel listening (including SACD/DVD-A stereo tracks) on your existing system, however multichannel listening won't be as stellar due to "moderate" 5.1 setup.

3-Sell all your current gear and start from scratch with a new sytem. Could be either the most expensive or mid-priced option depending on how high up the food chain you go with the gear.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"