X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

Adding more subs to existing setup

I just wanted a quick sanity check. Since it seems the chances of getting an 18" woofer of quality on the cheap are getting slimmer and slimmer, I'm looking at alternative options to add on to my 2 existing 18" subs (which are in a huge room and don't really get as hard-hitting as I want -- and IB is not an option). I'm inspired by the Genelec HTS6 array, and I keep thinking, "what if I made one of those... but with 15" drivers?"

Would there be any problems setting up an array of 15" subs alongside the 18"s? I was thinking about adding on 4 of the RL-p15's, since it seems that two of them are displacing a little bit more air than the existing 18"s are individually, and they can go in smaller boxes or tubes. I admit I also don't know the effects of the difference in the drivers' resonance frequencies (Fs 24hz for the RL-p15, 16hz for the Ava18 ). Will that cause problems if they're all in ported boxes, say tuned to 16hz?

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome.
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

What do you make of the Alliance 18? I think it models pretty good - could have used a bit more excursion though. I'm guessing it will be $300 at launch.

Comment

• wildfire99
      • Aug 2005

I kind of gave up on Ascendant... IF they launch it sometime this year then yeah, that's probably a good thing to look at. However I'm underwhelmed by their "new" drivers, for no particular (or scientific) reason.
      - Patrick

Comment

• SteveCallas
        • Aug 2005

I agree, I find the Alliance 18 to be the only one worth consideration - as for the rest, it seems there are better performers for the dollar out there. What ever happened to that "new motor technology" they were supposed to use?

Apparently, there is some secret fault of the Avalanche drivers, but it seems they would have been better off sticking with their xbl^2 drivers and accepting the "insults" from Adire.

Comment

• wildfire99
          • Aug 2005

Speaking of value for the dollar, I came across the AE AV15 subs yesterday. They certainly seem to be a great value, and I can't find anyone talking bad about them. On the other hand, they seem to be new and I can't find a lot of good, either. But they certainly fit the bill for a 15" driver array on the (relatively) cheap. I'm waiting for ssabripo to play with his AV15.
          - Patrick

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

When John is actually shipping product, AV15"s will probably be a best buy... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Scott Simonian
              • Nov 2004

When were the "new" AV15s gonna be out? I really liked the Mark I/II AV15s that used to be popular a couple of years ago.
              My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

John had a 6 or so MKII's a few weeks back.

Probably a couple months or more for the new ones. Deon said he'd let me know when they were ready to start shipping.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by wildfire99
                  Speaking of value for the dollar, I came across the AE AV15 subs yesterday. They certainly seem to be a great value, and I can't find anyone talking bad about them. On the other hand, they seem to be new and I can't find a lot of good, either. But they certainly fit the bill for a 15" driver array on the (relatively) cheap. I'm waiting for ssabripo to play with his AV15.
                  ssabripro is bringing his AV15 to my house this weekend to build the enclosure for it. I'm sure we will take some pictures and if we get finished, turn it on and listen. Maybe some quick measuring also.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"