X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atorak
    • Feb 2004

Next Jump from 1075?

Hey. Listen, this topic MIGHT fit into a few categories, but since its technically about Rotel, I wanted to throw it in here.

I bought the 1075, and I love it driving my N804s. Problem is, I dont REALLY use the home theater anymore, so I might want to jump down to a stereo amp/monos if at all possible.

I was thinking of grabbing the 1080, since at 200wpc that would put me at the recommended B&W N804 limit. But as I was thinking (yes I have the upgrade bug), Ive been making good money, so why not upgrade to the next level.

Only problem is, I dont know what the next level is! I mean, I know a lot of amps that supposedly drive B&Ws well, like Krell, Parasound, Pass Labs, Rotel, etc, but does anyone have any personal experience with jumping up from a 1075? Can you let me know of your experience, and what you went to, as well as what changed, and by how much?

Im assuming my next jump will be pretty big, so I would be willing to spend under 2k or possibly more for a new amp, just not sure which one.

Thanks. See? Its Rotel related. PS: Love Rotel, but I cant stop the bug!
  • gostan
    • May 2003

Atorak:

Keep the 1075 for HT and add a 2 channel amplifier for the fronts strictly for audio. I was going to add a 1080 to power my fronts when I came across an amazing deal on a 70LB 200 x2 discontinued behemoth made by Aragon. My new amp is still breaking in, but the music I am now hearing from my fronts now powered by another amp other than Rotel is very dynamic and is providing new notes and sounds to my ears. I too love all of my Rotel equipment, but see no reason why one should not consider adding a wonderfully designed 2 channel or other well designed amlifier from Bryston, Classee or even the former Aragon, now part of the Klipsch empire.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Stan
    Stan

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I agree, unless you need the money from selling the 1075 to purchase the two-channel amp that is? Otherwise just get a 1080, 1090 or other "better" brand if you prefer and as your budget allows. This will allow for both awesome 2-channel performance and on the few occasions when you want to watch movies, you still have the capablity.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

I've got 804's myself, and started off with the RMB1075 too.
        Lasted about 3 months, then I sold it again and got a used Parasound HCA2205AT, which imho is a bit better suited for driving the Nautilus speakers.
        First, the Rotel wasn't really my "sound", and the Parasound has a LOT more grip on the speaker.
        Of course it has a damping factor which is more then 5x higher than the 1075's, and about 100W extra power per channel, it's also twice as heavy and costs 3x more, so it's not really in the same league.
        But then again, it wouldn't be a step up if it was
        I still like Rotel, and it's excellent value for money, just turned out it wasn't right for me.
        So perhaps you can give some other brands a listen too, Parasound for example makes several 2-channel amps as well, both in the Classic (HCA1200 / 2200 / 3500) as the new Halo series (A23 / 21).
        I've always admired Classé too, that's the amp that made me a B&W Nautilus fan actually, but it's a bit expensive. (especiallly the new series)
        I love the Classé's natural, airy, detailed and overall clear sound.
        The same goes for Bryston, maybe B&W likes Canadian amps ? :B

Comment

• Atorak
          • Feb 2004

Wow thanks! I didnt mean to 'insult' Rotel, I just feel like my current amp leaves a little to be desired, thats all. Im really not utilizing any of that power from the other 3 channels right now, so why not jump to a 2 channel, and run everything stereo.

I was watching a movie or two, like Kill Bill, and honestly, running JUST the two N804s and a powered subwoofer was more than enough. The 1068 does a nice job of handling the HT even with only 2 channels.

Anyway, I guess ill have to demo a few amps, but ill be sure to take a look at Classe', Parasound (especially the A21 :P), Bryston, etc.

Thanks for the advice, though I could always use some more opinions!

Comment

• Atorak
            • Feb 2004

Also, just to let you know....I dont HAVE any other speakers right now. I am running my entire setup in the same room as my dad's, and hes got everything built into the HT already. It is a very nice system, but my two fronts and my equipment is still a considerable jump up, which is why I like to use it. Plus, he would kill me if I unhooked all his stuff, and hooked the rears, center, etc into mine...

So, 5 Channel is unused right now, I really only need 2.

Comment

• aphexist
              • Jan 2004

Well, until this week, I was running the same setup as you are now: 804s (2 channel) driven by a 1075. I was satisfied with the sound, but I knew that they would handle more power very well.

I started to consider a high powered 2-channel amp. I was looking at the Bryston 4BSST, the Classe CA-300/301, the Rotel 1090/1080, and some Levinson models. I happened upon a used Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3 (300wpc x 3) at a great price, of which I had heard great things, including good performance with the Nautilus 804. I received it on Monday, and it has performed exceedingly well. So I can recommend the Cinenova. It is a three channel amp, so if you decide to get the HTM-1 later, you will have the same power across the front. I am keeping my 1075 to drive the surround channels (when I get them). It only ended up costing a little more than what I paid for my 1075. The only downside (for me) is that is is a physically huge amp, and weighs almost 120lbs. There are many deals to be had on this model, so I would put it on my short list of amps to consider.
              Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3

The main thing you will notice from your 804s with a better (high powered) amp is more bass. The bass even at low volumes is much more satisfying, without being flabby, and at higher volumes it is tight and clean. On a bass heavy track with my 1066/1075, I would start to hear clipping as I turned it past "70." With the Cinenova, they reach that point and beyond and begin to violently shake things in the house, and still sound really good. Vocals at higher volumes are much smoother. Ambient sounds on live performances sound very real.
              Last edited by aphexist; 06 May 2004, 11:03 Thursday.

Comment

• simonb68
                • Jan 2003

Possibly look at Chord and Theta too, they might be a bit outside your price range, but used may not be.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Since you're asking for advice about other brands its likely best suited to the HT or Audio area's

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                    • Oct 2002

The new Anthem Statement P2 at 2X325W is another option.

I have the new Anthem Statement P5 (5X325, 2 power cords, 130 lbs), replacing a Rotel RMB-1095, and they are in 2 different categories.

The noise floor of my P5 is similar to my Bryston 4BSST (no noise at all...), and more transparent then the 1095. And we won't talk about the noise-floor of the 1095... :roll:

And you can buy the P5 or P2 at a really good price.

I did pay my P5 almost the same price has my 1095, for more then 1.5 times the power, better sound and a much lower noise-floor... :T And it was a great jump from the 1095 sonically and in build quality (when I got my 1095, there was a loose connector in the back, and the power knob was angled and recessed, and unusable)...
                    Last edited by LEVESQUE; 11 May 2004, 10:12 Tuesday.
                    To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
                      • Apr 2003

Alain,

Can you go into more detail about the sound of the P5 compared to the 1095? I currently have an AVM-20 with the 1095 with Thiel 2.4's for mains and a Thiel MCS1 center. I am very interested in the P5 and would love to hear more about your experience going from the 1095 to P5. I know once you start getting into the higher levels of equipment the sound differences are so subtle that it is hard to justify spending the money. Here in the States it will cost me about $3,500 to make the jump from the 1095 to P5 and just not sure if it will be worth it. I noticed your comment on the 1095 noise floor. Mine is not too bad but if I go up to the speakers and put my ear near the tweeter sounds like bacon frying.

Anyway looking forward to hear your thoughts.
                      Best Regards,
                      Matt
                      Regards,
                      Matt

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                        • Oct 2002

I know there is alot of Rotel fans in here... but here it goes!

The P5 could easily power a small commercial theater.

For those interested by this, the build quality of the P5 is quantum leap in front of the Rotel. The P5 is made in North America, and it shows...

Compared to the 1095, the P5 is build like a tank, with really thick and heavy metal plates. The 1095 was almost ''flimsy'' compared to the P5. And my 1095 was delivered with a recess power button (unusable)... :roll:

The 1095 was a good amp, but the P5 is a better amp. More powerful, more transparent, and with an incredibly low noise-floor (none...).

The biggest difference are the highs. The 1095 was more "laidback", more congested. The P5 is more like my Bryston 4BSST, completely transparent. Not bright, but transparent.

But it's only my opinion, and with my particular configuration. IMHO, the P5 is a superior product, with more power and better build quality, and a more transparent sound then the 1095. :T
                        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"