X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Longer power cables..

Hey members...
    I've moved to a new place and the room that I'm setting up my system has a different layout. I now have a much longer throw distance and therefore need longer DVI cables and power cables. I've seen alot of power or AC cables out there, is there a particular type that I should look for to be used with a FP? It would have to be something in the 7 to 9 meter length range. My projector is the Infocus SP5000, in case it matters. Thanks.
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Only thing to worry about for the AC is voltage drop. At 9 meters (plus whatever the run is from your panel to the wall outlet), you might want to use a little larger gauge power cord (12 gauge) than you otherwise would need to.

On the DVI, there are a few cables out there that will probably work, depending on the quality/power of the DVI transmitter in your source box. There are several mfrs who offer a refund if the cable will not perform. Make sure you use one of them and try it out before running it inside walls/conduits.

BB

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

thanks Brandon for replying to help me out. For a second there, I thought no one was going to help me. I've seen a few of the AC cords at HomeDepot, not sure if they'll work. Would these work?

Comment

• wildfire99
        • Aug 2005

The wire in your wall is only 14 or 12 gauge, and from the residential wiring I've seen and done, it goes at least that far (9m) before it attaches to your wall outlet. I ditto the recommendation for the 12 gauge cord, though. They aren't that much more, and you're guaranteeing you don't lose any extra voltage you don't have to. I have a long yellow one, but most of my 12g extension cords are orage with a single black stripe on the side. If it's way thicker than the others, it's a winner.

Personally, I'd see how hard it would be to just put in another outlet, skimming off the closet circuit you can find. Don't run the video cable next to the power cable.

I have the same issue also with regards to the video run (power is ok). I'm probably going to get a long HDMI cable then use DVI adapters on the end, so I can keep the same cable even if my next projector uses HDMI. Since some of my processing gear is DVI-out and DVI-in, it all always stays useful.
        - Patrick
        "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

Ya...I thought about going with a longer HDMI instead of the DVI, since HDMI is newer and most likely the future connection. But I'll have to spend a lil bit more to get that DVI adapter. And in my case with a Infocus Projector, looks like I'll need 2 of those since, Infocus uses a M1 adapter. As far as keeping the video and power separate, I don't think I run them through the same cable hider on the wall, but they're going to the same path.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"