X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluuz
    • Apr 2004

Behind wall subwoofer?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out - I'm relatively new to the Home Theater world, and am moving into a new home in a few weeks. I've talked my wife into allowing me to install a HT system in the family room, on the condition that I keep the electronics and other equipment out of sight.

The room I'm using is not ideally suited for HT, but will have to work. It's very wide (35') and 18' deep. We're only using one end of the room for the theater setup. There's a closet behind the front wall that will become a dedicated media room for components, etc. I'm planning on putting a plasma on the front wall with three in-wall speakers (Boston), and running speaker wire under the flooring to the back of the room for the surround channels.

However, I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to work a sub into the picture. One custom installer has recommended that I put the sub in the media closet (behind and below the plasma), with a hole cut in the wall for a speaker grate to match the front three speakers. They don't seem to think that I'll have any trouble projecting the sub through that hole into the room.

However, another installer has told me that it's a vey bad idea, and that at all costs I should get the sub out into the room proper. Unfortunately, this would involve running a cable to the back of the room where I could hide a sub behind the chairs. I've been told that coax or sub cable is too thick to put under the carpeting. The room has very high ceilings, arched doorways on the side, and no real good way to get cable around the perimeter to the back.

Thanks very much in advance for any insights / suggestions. I've been browsing this forum for a while and it seems like a great resource!

Mitch
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The second installer isn't the brightest bulb in the pack.....

You could put virtually any front firing sub in the closet (exclusions would be those subs that have rear or side mounted ports or passive radiators).

Also depending on the size of the closet you could build an IB sub. That would give you the finest bass available. But your dealer won't be happy because he won't be making any money ............... 8O

Here's a link to some pix of IB subwoofers

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• bluuz
      • Apr 2004

Thanks Thomas,

Do you know if I would need to rigidly fix the sub to the wall behind the grate, or if it would be adequate to simply place it behind the opening to let the sound fire through?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If you use a freestanding self contained box sub, there's no reason for it to be attached to the wall

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"