Newbie with a dedicated 7.1 room needs scrutiny and suggestions please.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • process
    • Jul 2014

Newbie with a dedicated 7.1 room needs scrutiny and suggestions please.

Hello Experts and all,

First, I am a big fan of the site and the service y'all provide the public. I have been working on this theater a little at a time forever and need to finish it. My wife *****es about the sound coming through the floor or up the stairs to the den so I need to put up the drywall and door to help with that. The rock-wool helped some. Although, I could use some advice first. I copied some of the questions from a previous Newbie post and did my best to describe my current situation. I am look at this AV room as a long term hobby like most here. Just learning as I go. We have a Bose Lifestyle 35 upstairs I am sort of competing with that in my theater cave. So with that let me answer the normal questions below.

Room size and layout?

Total for straight walls 17'-25'
    Listening area is 17'x17'
    Ceiling is 9' in center with a soffitt 1' H and 2' w around the 17x17 square.
    Area behind the square will be a sink, few cabinets, card table, computer, desk and bar. (not concerned with direct sound in this area, it will get plenty indirect.
    Presently there is no drywall, the room is just studs, insulation, speaker wire, hdmi's, lots of electrical outlets and a stapled blackout cloth screen.

Projector/screen?
    On the opposite wall of the sink/bar area is the front wall with a 110" diy screen with BENQ 1080P 3D projector.

What is the Seating distance?
    It is comfortable anywhere from 8.5' to 15.5'. The money spot is about 10' centered

Dedicated room with 4 walls and 1 double door?

Yes a dedicated room with no window and I have not bought a door yet, but left a 40"w opening 8'h at the center right side almost center of the 25' top of the 17x17 square.

Existing AVR: HK 2600 65w 7.1, clean some power, but no pre-outs. Was offered 200 bucks for it but not selling until I figure all this out.
    Existing Power Amp Yamaha M-50 perfectly fine, but sitting in closet due to no pre-outs on reciever.

Existing speakers: Jamo S 426 HCS 3 WENGE 5-Piece they are 6ohms and take up too much space and this AVR seems to need 8ohms. I have a 3 yr old child so I need all equipment off the ground or under lock and key, no stands and no floor towers. The Jamos were a cheap temp solution and served their purpose.
    Selling them.

Existing sub: JBL SUB-150 Selling it.

New Surrounds

Uninstalled 4 surrounds are some EAS-6W In-Wall/In-Ceiling Speakers.
    I was thinking of putting 2 of these in the wall to the side and two in the soffitt behind me facing down or out for the rears. I choose these because of the adjustable tweeter to aim from the soffitt and I got a fair deal.

Specs:
    Impedance 8 ohms
    Frequency Response 55Hz - 20Khz +/-3dB
    Power Handling 100 Watts
    Sensitivity 89dB
    Tweeter 1" (25.4mm) Aluminum Dome
    Mounting Depth 3.25" (82.55mm)
    Dimensions 12.12" (30.8cm) H x 8.7" (22.1cm) W x 3.5" (8.9cm) D
    Woofer 6.5" (16.5cm) Mica Filled Composite woofers w/ NBR/SBR surround
    Crossover Point 2.2 kHz

My questions are:

Can someone make any suggestions for a matching front wall? A sub? And any last ideas for my theater room in general. I am trying to minimize mistakes and leave room to upgrade to a new receiver with pre-outs maybe next year.

Also, I have read to go with bookshelf speakers on stands instead of in-walls or on-walls because of cost and sound. But, I can't use stands. I thought about building out the front wall to 13' deep. Then I could have 3 cavities that I could place the speakers on. Of course I read that I would need front ported speakers to go into the recessed shelf. Will these sound good or should I may as well install in-wall if I am not going to use stands?

Things I need now are the LCR, sub, real screen.

These are some of the speaker models I was looking.

Looking At these for R and L:

Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65 Bookshelf

Klipsch RB 61 Main Stereo Speakers

Definitive Technology Mythos XTR 60 on Wall Speakers 1 Pair Barely Used

KEF Q100 Speakers Black

Paradigm Studio 20 V 2 Mint Pair in Factory Boxes

So please fire away and you won't hurt my feelings making me aware of my screw-ups.

Don't know anything about subs or center? Thank you for your recommendations in all areas.

Regards,

Process
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

The MOST important thing is that your speakers are all matched (same make..same models...same drivers). The bigger the center channel speaker, the better for HT sound. A matched sub would be good also but somewhat less critical. Speaker placement is critical (it's EVERYTHING actually!) as well.......no compromises for 'looks' or how it looks in the room. Small placement adjustments have a profound effect on how they sound......including surrounds. You have a good size room so amplifier power is also a big consideration. Get something with JUICE.......POWER!!. I'm a fan of Rotel gear for this!.

As well, it is extremely important that all the speakers be set up and adjusted properly. Meaning, they are all volume adjusted using an SPL meter...the sub/s are a little more tricky and need to be done 'by ear' using music as a guide to get a correct and realistic bass effect. You don't want boom.....you want 'roll'. If kids are in the picture, keep the speaker grills on and put the fear of god into them should they 'think' of touching any of the equipment!! (It worked in regards to my young daughter at the time!).

Hope this helps a bit!.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"