X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

You're using a clean box, so you shouldn't have to worry about the voltage out from your receiver. I would probably leave the receiver channel level at 0 and then adjust the volume on the amp. A lot of people recommend setting the receiver to like -10, but I don't like this. One, the receiver is just a preamp, not an amp and isn't amplifying the signal much, so it doesn't really matter. Two, if you turn it all the way down on the receiver, you can't adjust it on the fly during movies with the remote.

I think currently, I'm about 60% on my amp and -4 on the receiver. Not much logic there, but it works.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Try it without the cleanbox.

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

Didn't I read somewhere that the cleanbox has poor FR from around 20-25Hz and lower?
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• sprint_9
          • Jul 2007

That and I thought that someone was making something one off for the DIY market to replace the cleanbox. I forget who it was now and where I saw that info, but if I can remember right I thought ThomasW was in on the design, although I may be vagly wrong.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sprint_9
            That and I thought that someone was making something one off for the DIY market to replace the cleanbox. I forget who it was now and where I saw that info, but if I can remember right I thought ThomasW was in on the design, although I may be vagly wrong.
            Correcto!.....

We just received the first run of PCB's. When Chas is back from vacation he'll build and test the first one. If everything is okay we'll have boards available for sale.

There will be threads on 3 forums about the project when everything is a go...

FWIW the Cleanbox can be upgraded by replacing 2 caps at a cost of $0.50 ea
            Attached Files

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sprint_9
              • Jul 2007

Cool, I knew Id read that stuff somewhere.

Comment

• azagthoth
                • Jun 2007

The buzzing problem seems to be solved, it looks like it was being caused by a crappy coffee maker that was running on that same circuit. Either way in the end the home theater stuff will probably be on its own circuit.

Should I remove the clean box from this setup ? Seems like people have had some poor experiences with it. I tried hooking up the reciever directly to the ep2500 and the levels are very low compared to the volume on the left and right channels. So far going through the cleanbox was the only thing that gave me decent levels.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If you need the CleanBox use it. The only issue is it attenuates some of the lowest frequencies.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• azagthoth
                    • Jun 2007

I got the drivers mounted today. Just did a quick hookup using my surrounds for fronts. Things sound pretty good I am very pleased. It will be a while before I can do the measurements and setup of the feedback destroyer. I will be building some walls and adding a carpet before I bother doing that.

Comment

• sprint_9
                      • Jul 2007

Nicely done. Keep us updated as your theather progresses.

Comment

• JonW
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Very nice looking project. :T

For what it's worth and in case it helps... I've got a Clean Box on my DIY sub. I didn't need it until I added in the BFD. The BFD dropped down the levels enough that I added the Clean Box to bring the bass back up. In doing so, I got a hum in the system. I think the Clean Box just magnified the hum, something I could not hear at all before having the Clean Box. I took out the Clean Box and dropped the left and right channels in the prepro to compensate. But I only have a +/- 12 db variation in channels with my prepro (is that typical?). Bass output was better but not enough. So I added back in the Clean Box, using it to increase the signals less, and the hum is there but not as much as before, because of the changed channel levels. I wonder if Chuck's little box will be any better. I should write up the details in a separate post sometime, in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"