X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • majestik
    • Mar 2004

almost there in making a decision but

My living room is 15x13x9 and I have a 36XBR. I decided to start a modest Home Theater. I am close to buying the infinity TSS-750 speakers($699) although I learned recently that the frequency rating only goes to 120 hz rather then the recommended 80 hz( I read in a home theater book)
    I am leaning toward gettingfor a receiver, the Denon 1604(but I do like the Sony ES models but they a little more expensive-and most(audio fans) are down on Sony for receivers. But I will check out an outlet store here in Los Angeles).
    AS far as compatiblity , which reciever would be a good match for the infinity? I hear that they are consider flat so that means to mean to stay away from bright sounding receivers.

And comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Are you willing to purchase products online? There's a number of options you might want to consider before buying those infinities (not that there's anything wrong with them per say)

For example one of these centre's here
    plus twp pairs of these here

And add a cheap sub like [URL=http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=stock&product=36.1[/url] and you'd have a pretty nice sounding system

Or this system here plus a cheap sub like the one above (admittedly this is a bit more expensive then you were looking before but worth it IMO

Cheaper yet the JBL Northridge line is highly regarded and you can pick up three pairs for $170 at BestBuy which would leave you a little for a nice sub (BestBuy link) The larger bookshelf model from JBL is only $200 a pair as well if you wanted larger fronts.

If you're feeling up for a little challenge you might consider the DIY route with three pairs of DIY kits from partsexpress (click on banner above)

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Joe, welcome to The Guide! :later:

I agree with your concerns about the Sony receivers. I'd recommend the Denon, one of the new Yamahas (don't dismiss them as bright until you hear one) or maybe a Rotel, if they have one that falls in your budget range.

Don't dismiss the Infinity's either - they are as good a choice as many others at that price point. However, with a speaker system that rolls of at 120 Hz, you absolutely need to get a sub. There is a great deal of sonic information passed below that point. Now, maybe you don't need something that reaches down to the 20 Hz point, but you do need to consider finding something to get down PAST 80 Hz - 50 Hz is a good spot IMHO. Andrew has a good suggestion above with the Rocket. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• majestik
        • Mar 2004

At one time , I was considering the rockets but the types b/c of the tight budget ,but it wasnt the specs that I wanted. I could get the infinity 750 online for 500 and change. I hear a lot about the sub being lame. But budget wise, that will leave my 300-400 for a receiver, then I have to figure cables and the stands. I got to get it around 1,000. That is hard. I could skip on stands. But the rockets willl cost me clsoer to 800 alone leaving very little for a receicver. I figured I can get a good receiver for 399 with DTS, ES and other features.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Joe, just want to add a few thoughts on money allocation:
          1. 1) A generally accepted guideline is that cables should be 10-15% of your system cost, so don't go too crazy there right now. Lex'll be happy to bend your ear about options in that area.

2) If you have basic woodworking skills, you can make good quality stands for a LOT less than you'd pay for them.

3) I'd not worry 'bout ES, 6.1 or 7.1 right now. Spend what you can on a good 5.1 system and then focus on setting it up in a sonically optimized way. Once it's optimized for your room, THEN see about adding more surround channels. You may be surprised to find that they aren't as important or as desirable as you thought.
          If you are game, these steps should free up some of your budget and give you a little more wiggle room as far as receivers go.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I agree with that sentiment. A properly set up 5.1 system will sound better than a mediocre 6.1 or 7.1 system. With a limited budget you're better off getting the basics as good as you can rather than stretching your budget over additional components.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• majestik
              • Mar 2004

I do agree with you,( sometimes) as I keep doing research I get Tech envy and want more and more with a beer budget. and I lose sight that all I really want is a kick ass 5.1 system to wet my appetite. That said is the ilow end denon 1604 ok ?

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Without a "Rotel (or higher) budget" the brands I tend to like and recommend are Denon, Yamaha and HK primarily and Pioneer, Kenwood and Sony secondarily. So I'd say you're on the right track

For speakers some of my B&M favourites are the smaller systems from Energy and Paradigm. However if you go Energy get a sub from Velodyne or Paradigm.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• majestik
                  • Mar 2004

Okay, this is where I am at. I leaning strongly toward the infinity TSS 750

<a href="http://www.focususa.com/showpage.asp?itemid=3052&template=search_product_i nfo.htmThe sat speaker frequency range is 120 hz -20,000hz I know this could be better and I hope the sub that comes with it can compensate so it can reach the lower hz, and speaking of sub, some who own the 750 feel the sub is lame. But tight budget, I have to make some sacrifices. As far as the receiver, I am leaning toward the Denon 1804 " target="_blank">http://www.focususa.com/showpage.asp?itemid=3052&template=search_product_i nfo.htm

The sat speaker frequency range is 120 hz -20,000hz I know this could be better and I hope the sub that comes with it can compensate so it can reach the lower hz, and speaking of sub, some who own the 750 feel the sub is lame. But tight budget, I have to make some sacrifices. As far as the receiver, I am leaning toward the Denon 1804 http://www.mpsuperstore.com/Electronics/discr73638.htm?Chksource=mysimon
                  so, what do you guys think?[url]

Comment

• majestik
                    • Mar 2004

Okay, this is where I am at. I leaning strongly toward the infinity TSS 750
                    http://www.focususa.com/showpage.asp...the Denon 1804http://www.mpsuperstore.com/Electronics/discr73638.htm?Chksource=mysimon
                    so, what do you guys think?[/url]

Comment

• majestik
                      • Mar 2004

As for speakers, I almost made up my mind on the infinity TSS750 , I can get them online for 500 where in retail they sell for 699. I heard that the sub is a litttle lame and the sat frequency rating is at only 120hz-20,000hz but realistically if I want more , i have to spend more( and with a tight budget )

I saw a Denon 1804 for $353 dollars so that will fit in my budget. http://www.focususa.com/showpage.asp...oduct_info.htm

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I urge you to at least look at some other affordable speakers like these http://www.energy-speakers.com/take5...ers_specs.html or these http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...ema_Specs.html as even if you get a sub that "likes" to play up to 120Hz, that's a frequency where you're likely to notice bass localization. In other words below say 100hz you can't really tell where bass is coming from. Above that however you'll start to notice the bass is coming from the sub rather than your main speakers where it was supposed to...

Jason

Jason

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/ is another good affordable option. They're made by the same parent company as Energy and as such sound quite similar but at a lower price.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• majestik
                            • Mar 2004

I checked the paradigm but the least expensive set was $890 more than I can afford and I did check out athena speakers -the one comparable to the infinity 750 ,the micra 6 home is the same price 500 and change as the infinity. Howevr, the frequency ratings on the sat is 100hz just 20 hz lower than the infinity.
                            I dont know, the infinity still looks like is leading.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

You might want to inquire about these Paradigms. The mini monitor's are excellent speakers and for the price he's selling them for you could pick up a pair of Atom's for the rear and have a nice setup.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Another thing I'll stress is that, of all your components, speakers are usually one of the things you rarely upgrade. A good speaker set should last you many years. Where as you might buy a new DVD player every few years or a new processor/receiver every say 5 years because of new surround formats etc. Speakers on the other hand could/should last closer to ten (or more if your happy with them). As such I'd recommend getting some that you will be happy with for years to come. I'll even go as far as suggesting you spend your entire speaker budget on two good stereo speakers and a sub for now. That way you'll start off with good gear, then as you save money, upgrade with a centre speakers and then surroounds. It will pay off for music listening as well as you'll have a good set of speakers for stereo listening.

You should be able to get one of Velodyne's less expensive 8" or 10" subs for around $250-$300 and say a pair of Energy C-1's that will trounce on what you have been listening too for about the same $250-$300 area. That seems to fall in your price range

Trust me once you start getting in to this hobby you will want to upgrade things. It's the nature of the beast So you're best to start with a good foundation that you can add to rather than later realizing you compromised, not being happy with what you purchased, and having to start from scratch.

Just my $0.02

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2004

Uhmmm....I own athena Speakers...The S2`s and to be quite frank...for the money...they are good...real good

They become very transparent with the right cables and can take a beating. They are very sensitive 92DB`s, and pack great bass.

The overall sound is a bookshelf speaker however (but in home theater that is what you want)but in 2 channel, they pack the bass and the they do not play bright but you can see they are trying to play all the instruments and they are not designed for that. They do have option however to get a a sub put on them like P1 or P2 or P3..they clip on the speaker and totally change the sound...

Anyway enough rambling...I like them ops:

Chow boys!
                                  I am surprised Jason you would talk about ATHENA...

Bam!
                                  Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

I actually recommended Athena's in the 13th post Bam...am I confused here? You seem to be defending them against "attack" but I recommended them as good affordable options...? Please clarify

Jason

Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2004

Jason!

I know you referred them...I am just surprised that`s all...I didn`t think audiophiles liked them....

I am not upset...just shocked I guess...most guys talk about ENERGY or Mirage from that company....

Anyway that`s all she wrote!

Bam!
                                      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• majestik
                                        • Mar 2004

I will consider the used paradigm , I email the dude telling him I am interested and wanted to find out a little more.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"