X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt Broeska
    • Nov 2000

onkyo receivers and what speakers?

hey all,

i know everyone's gonna say you have to hear it with your own ears, but i thought i'd ask people's opinions first. this summer i'll be jumping head first into my first surround sound setup. what i had in mind so far was either the marantz sr-7000 or denon 2801... but now with word of the onkyo tx-ds696 coming out and looking at it's specs and that it's in the same price range as the aforementioned receivers well... i've gotta consider that one too.

now what speakers should i look at? i've asked a few people and paradigm keeps coming up. i was looking at monitor 3's as mains, a cc-370 center, adp 170 (or 370) surrounds and a ps-1200 sub... but what else should i consider? what's in the price range of those speakers by either energy or psb or whatever that i should demo?

any help would be great, thanks.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

For speakers the PSB Image series comes to mind. You'd probably be looking at the Image 1B's with 8C for the centre, or 2B's with the 9C for the centre. The rears can be the respective front's or the new S10. For Energy, the eXL line would be the ticket. The eXL16 for mains, and the eXLC2 for the centre. Rears can be the eXLR or the respective fronts. Or if you can find a good price, a full set of the AC300's would be really nice. The new Veritas line might be worth a listen, but I think the price would be much higher than you're looking at.

Sub wise, I've hear reports that the PSB sub's are sub par. Paradigms are great, as are the Energy's. My 8" energy works pretty well. The Mission 10" sub has been measured to be one of the best performing subs. The paradigms are also highly rated.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Matt Broeska
      • Nov 2000

thanks, paul. i'll add those to the list and check out their websites and reviews.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I agree with Paul. I recently listened to the PSB line. I was impressed with the sound as well. Not quite as forward as the Paradigms in my opinion. I actually think that the soundstage from the Image line was a tad better than the Monitor series. Of course, I was using a lot of jazz to audition with. I would be happy with either series. They each bring there own sound yet, both are enjoyable.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Matt whats your budget?

Comment

• Matt Broeska
            • Nov 2000

well... i went to creative and they demo'd the marantz sr-7000, monitor 3's, cc-370, mini monitors as surrounds and a ps-1000 sub and they told me that'd be about 3g's... i'd like to keep it around there not going much higher.

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Matt, what's the pricing on the Onkyo 696? That's the new one that has DPLII and preouts right?

Paul

Paul

Comment

• Matt Broeska
                • Nov 2000

paul,

i think the 696 will be in the $1000-1200 range (i'm talking canadian of course). i thought i saw it on the net somewhere in the $600-700 usd range but i can't remember where.

and you've got one of the best signature lines ever.

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I've been looking around and Onecall has it for US$799. So that would probably mean CDN$1,300 or more.

And to answer my own question. It has DPLII and Pre-outs, plus has HD Component switching, a composite to SVideo converter. It doesn't have DTS ES or DD EX, which would have made this the killer unit to have. But I think DPLII would be more useful than DTS ES support.

Glad you like my sig. I think I'll keep it around longer.

Paul

Paul

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Sounds sweet, DPL II. I like it.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• GregoriusM
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2000

Matt: I'd audition the setup with the Mini Monitors all around. I find (and others too) that the 8" drive in the Monitor 3 is a little muddier than the 6" in the Mini Monitor. You've got a great powered sub in the Paradigm line, so you're not looking for low bass from the speakers.

Great choice in the CC-370 center. You'll love it.

But try the Mini's and thoroughly listen to the dipoles before you use them. Some people love them, some don't. I do.

... just a thought!

Greg
                      Gregor

Comment

• P-Dub
                        Office Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

FYI, the list for the 696 in Canada is $1,599.

Paul

Paul

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"