X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Canadians with SVS Subs...

What was your experience like in ordering from SVS in the US ? Since these things are heavy, what are the shipping charges like ? I've been thinking about upgrading from my 10" Boston Acoustics sub to something with a 12" driver and more wattage than the BA's meager 100 watts. SVS is just one make I am considering. I'd like to stay under $1K CDN.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

George, I have an internet buddy who has one in Winnipeg, I'll invite him to the forum and see what he has to say...

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

In Canada you might(?) be better off sticking with good quality B&M brands like Velodyne, Paradigm or Adire. I've also found that JBL's more expensive subs are good performers. It's too bad that great companyies like SVS or HSU are a less than spectacular option (financially) for us folks north of the border. In the US they are a spectacular deal. That pretty much goes for anything off the net...

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• pauldryan
        • Feb 2004

George, Bent asked me to respond on this. I purchased a 1646PCi back in May, 2002 directly from SVS for$699 usd; shipping to Winnipeg via UPS was $46.58 usd for the 66lb carton(charged by SVS). Remember that the 1646 is the big one.

Because I didn't want to pay cutoms brokerage fees to UPS, I arranged with UPS to clear the package myself at Customs when they received it in their warehouse here in Winnipeg. The paperwork is easy, the staff at Customs walk you through it. I ended up paying PST and GST only on the converted Canadian value of $1078.13 cdn ($699 usd) for a total cost of $150.92 cdn (7%+7%) No different really than having purchased at Sears.

Today of course, the exchange rate is much more favourable.

The package arrived in impeccable condition and the quality of the sound is far superior to the 15" MTX sub that was subsequently relegated to the rec room system for the kids.

Paul

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

George, I'd suggest contacting Dan Wiggins at Adire Audio. Tell him Doug sent you.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

George I'd also suggest you look at http://www.CreativeSound.ca in BC as they carry Adire products and you wont' have to deal with duty and excessive shipping. For that matter tell me what you need and I'll build you one

For example I'd suggest the following...

250 watt Plate amp

DPL12 Driver

Piano finish box

Total comes to $733 so you're well under your $1K total incl shipping and tax (just GST) and it would only require 15 minutes and a screwdriver to assemble.

Paul Welcome to the forum! I only know one other local that has an SVS Sub

Comment

• pauldryan
              • Feb 2004

Andrew,
              You may not recall that I emailed you and inquired about getting you to build me a Sonosub 2 or purchasing yours back in December,2001. You begged off because you didn't have room to custom build at the time.

That's why I went out and bought the SVS.

Paul

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Thanks, fellas. I'll take all these recommendations in mind.

Andrew, the route you suggest is certainly intriguing. I'll let you know if I want to go that route. I certainly wouldn't expect you to build it for me for nothing.

BTW, I am NOT a DIY kinda guy. But I can use a screwdriver as long as the instructions are clear.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Ah interesting about the prior email...I've got lots of room now to build one

George honeslty the "kits" that CreativeSound sells are incredibly easy to build...you really only need to screw in the driver and plate amp and attach the speaker cable from the amp to the driver...it couldn't be easier and you get to claim that you built it If I were to make you one though it would likely be in a larger box then the one I linked to which is only 14" square so it wouldn't dominate your room.

Comment

• David R.
                    • Apr 2003

Cool, more winnipegers!.

Yeah with the canadian dollar i almost bought a SVS last spring.. The 2039PCi was going to end up just over 1k after tax's, shipping etc i figured..

In the end i went the DIY route, Ended up with this guy: http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...43_99_full.jpg

A friend and myself are toying with the idea of building/selling cylinder subs similar to the HSU's & SVS's.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

David I've thought about doing the same as well...let me know what you're thinking and maybe we can work together on this?

Comment

• David R.
                        • Apr 2003

We actually have a lot of it worked out, material and costs wise.. We decided to put it off though for a couple of months to take care of other projects first. I am working on what you could consider a prototype unit for my friend to test out, its about 1/3rd complete. Might build a couple more proto's sense i have a extra 9ft of sonotube sitting in the garage. lol

Andrew let me know if you want to discuss this further.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I'm about to build a prototype as well...though this will be more like a Carver TrueSub on 'roids

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Look at you shameless thread hijackers! ...lol

Good luck guys If you want to send a free demo model over for "user feedback" and "market research"...let me know

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                            Jason

Comment

• blackstar
                              • Nov 2000

hello all!

i'm the local [winnipegger] andrew was referring to that owns an svs sub. i purchased it online in the fall of last year. after everything was said and done i was looking @ around 800 bux. worth every darn penny. i was thinking of going the DIY route w/ andrew's help; but the money was there, and i wanted the product immediately.

box is packaged impeccably, and breaks down for storage. it is easily re-usable.

i couldn't be happier! with the exchange rate the way it is right now - i personally wouldn't hesitate [and i didn't], but there are a lot of great DIY options as well as other great sub companies. with the advice from this forum, you can't go wrong!

thanks for hearing me out!

mike

The Land of the "Horse"
                              The Land of the "Horse"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

update

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I have decided to take up Andrew's offer to build a sub for me. What he has planned sure sounds exciting. I will advise all as things progress.

My Homepage!
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

George!,
                                  I will be listening for that rumble here in Toon-Town! :P
                                  Good stuff!!! :T

Trevor
                                  My HomeTheater S.E.
                                  Sonically Enhanced
                                  C5
                                  Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

George, please start a new thread when this project gets under way. This one is no longer needed as it's subject is just about subs that aren't supporters of this site.

Lex
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"