X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

Anyone use SVS subs with B&W speakers?

I did a search and did not find any threads that mention SVS subs. Are there anyone out there using them or do you all stay with B&W subs?

Thanks,

-Lou
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables
  • aphexist
    • Jan 2004

I use an SVS PC-Ultra with my Nautilus setup.

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

B&W makes there own line of Subwoofers and if you match your B&W speakers to the same level of subwoofer, you have a pretty magical setup. B&W subs are very musical and reproduce Home theater very well. I'm willing to bet most B&W speaker owners are very happy with there B&W subs. Personally I like B&W subs.

Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

SVS subs are better for home theater than B&W and cost a lot less...

B&W subs (with their sealed design) do tend to be more musical.

I've been a SVS owner for a long time now...and absolutely love it (for the price they are). One of the best "bargains" on the Internet. Course with that said, I don't like having a sub with music, so I don't use it for that too often. However when I have, it fit in perfectly for being a ported designed subwoofer.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Guys, ok, some people have SVS and love em'. good fer em'. But this is the B & W club, and I'm not going to let this turn into a 4 page 'Gotta get an SVS sub thread'. Lou, that's why there's not much in the way of those threads, because the owner of this Club and the other clubs holds clubs closely to their designed intent and that is to talk about brand specific products. Integration with subwoofers of other brands of products is a general home theater or audio topic, not a specific B & W topic, so it is in short, a home theater or audio topic just as integration with any other piece of gear is truly.

With that, I don't feel this thread serves Club B & W very well. I'll leave it open for now, but discussion along these lines won't be allowed to continue to long, as it has no relevence to B & W.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
            • May 2004

It has everything to do with B&W

Lex,
            I respectfully disagree. It has everything to do with B&W. People who post on this forum are in general die hard B&W fans, like myself. However, B&W are not the most affordable speakers out there, yet many still find a way to have them at all different levels. I use all B&W's, but when it comes to subs, I do not see a need to drop the cake needed to get the B&W sub that matches my system, there are many more affordable high-quality subs out there. Some go that route, other go another route. I do not see how talking about adding an SVS or any other type of sub to one's B&W system hurts you, B&W or any other manufacturer out there. B&W also owns Rotel and Classe, yet when I spoke with the B&W factory about amp symetry, they gladly condoned other brands.

The original poster had asked about adding the sub to his B&W system, the best place to ask is the B&W forum.
            Steel

Comment

• Hammie
              • Oct 2005

Lex,

I realize this is a B&W thread. I'm sorry of I offended you. Maybe my question should have been put in another forum, maybe not. I just thought that since the PRIMARY speakers in all of your systems were B&W that someone in this forum could help me decide on an alternative subwoofer which would compliment B&W speakers. I had heard good things about the subwoofer in my original post and wanted opinions.

So, if I understand your response, I guess what you are saying is that only people who have an ALL B&W setup should visit and participate in this forum. All others need to go to a general home theater forum to discuss things?

I will ask my question in another thread. Hope they don't tell me to go to the Club B&W thread for my answer.

We should not ask "what speaker wire to use," "wishing you a happy holiday," "Sofa dilemmas," "what amp to get," etc., etc. because they are not direct questions regarding B&W speakers.

I don't know if it's because I am new to the B&W forum or what but there have been many other questions that could be iffy regarding relevant to B&W.

Just my 2 cents. I'll continue to come back because I think you all provide good information, but probably won't post again.

BTW, thanks LikeCoiledSteel for the backup and support.

-Lou
              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

oh geesh, here we go again. No Lou, I am not that easily offended. What was offended were rules, it's that simple.

I've told some of you all before, just because you use a sofa in your B & W setup, doesn't make it a topic for Club B & W. All systems use sofas, and that makes it a generic topic of home theater integration, not a B & W specific question. Now, if it's a B & W brand sofa, or a sofa designed expressly for B & W, then that's one thing. But you guys can play this by association rule only so far.

First off, I'm not a huge SVS advocate, so no, I am not going to give them free top billing at my forum specialty clubs, sorry, not gonna happen because we don't have club SVS, and we aren't going to. But that is not the real issue here and my reasons are well? My reasons. Second of all, it's discussion of products that are not about B & W and B & W makes a fine sub in their own right.

And you know sometimes, it's enough for the forum admins to say, these are the rules. You can either choose to like them, live by them and participate, or you can choose not to participate. It's really that simple.

But you know, no he really didn't ask about adding a sub to his system here. He asked a VERY generic open ended question that would invite possibly many to chime in about their SVS setups, and where? In Club B & W. That is not the intent of Club B & W. now, had he said, I have a pair of 804s. I've narrowed my search for subs down to sub X, sub Y, sub Z. Any of you guys use one of these for your 804 setup? That's another thing! I believe that Geoff has tried to get this point across to you guys. I don't come in here expressly to bust heads often,I don't. So, I do expect a little respect when I do, as owner, and I expect respect for my ideas of what makes HTG work, or not work. After all, I did build it this far, I and my staff, right?

Lou, if you want to leave HTG over this, or choose not to post again, that's fine, thanks for trying us. But we are not planning to re-adapt our rules for any one person, and we are not planning to be bullied into allowing a rules free for all in any one forum.

We've said if subs come up in casual discussion of your setups, then fine. But we've also said, no focus groups for amps, receivers, pre-pros of other brands in the B & W area, the Rotel area, etc... You guys are not going to turn Club B & W into an individual A/V forum by itself, where it's the only place you post at HTG. It is not the intent of Club B & W.

If that means we loose a few posts by you, or even a few posters, then so be it, but we will maintain our focus. We've pushed integration into the rest of the forum for other topic areas for a good reason. IF you cannot understand that reason, then I am sorry, but there is a very good reason for that fact. In isolation, Club B & W gets to be like a Berlin wall thing. none of the members outside the wall gain anything from anyone inside the wall, and vice versa, you guys only get a very collapsed view of things, never an outside perspective! We do not like walls at HTG. We aim for guys to come out of the clubs to discuss other products in other areas. Requiring this to happen, has meant our clubs have generated some fine members for other areas of the forum. You guys are missing that expereience if you stay here, in isolation.

Thus, in general, we say, talk about things of association casually. but if it's an entire focus of a non-B & W item, it needs to go on outside the walls. Bass is bass, there is no B & W system designed bass outsid of B & W brand and even then, the argument could be made that it's bass, come on!

Also, I don't even mind you guys disagreeing with me, hey, I don't even agree with me all the time. But keep in mind, I am the one with close to 12,000 posts here, and I did start this forum, so I've done a few things right. Nough said and in the end, what I say is sort of important here. That is by design.
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"