X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Need a New DVD player Any sugg.???

My Pioneer 302(multi disk)is dying a slow painful death.
    So I know I would like this to read DVD A and maybe SACD also.
    I want a really good DRC control and maybe even a voice enhancer.
    A 192khz DAC that sounds sweet
    2 analog outs
    Multi disk if possible
    ooh and a strawberry tart!

Thanks ! Merci la!

Budget wise under 1500.00$ Canadian.

Bam!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I heard Yamaha is coming out with a 5-disc universal this spring based on this last year DVD-A only model:

I wouldn't even mind the last year model.... :P

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Bam! I'd look at the Denon 2900 or 2200 for a multi disc unit given your criteria.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Steve, the Yamaha and the Denons are the contenders at that price point right now. Both companies will offer you good quality units that perform very well, but being a BIG Yamaha fan. . . .
        ;x(

The DVD-CX1 has the 192 kHz Burr-Brown chipset, 24 bit audio D/A conversion, dual laser pickups, Faroudja's DCDi processing, 5-disc capacity and its MSRP is $999.00 US. Here's a page showing the back panel and blow-ups: DVD-CX1

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Thanks guy...
          I`ll go check `em out....

Question : How good is the transport on a multi disk...if I can ask?

Salut les boys!

Bam!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
            Bam! I'd look at the Denon 2900 or 2200 for a multi disc unit given your criteria.
            Those are only single disc units Andrew but definately great performers if that's all he needs.

Bam, I was looking at this player last year and I have no idea where I read it but there was a review that stated it was built like a tank and that Yamaha went to great lengths to make it solid, vibration free and well shielded. I would recommend waiting for the new years model, due in the next couple months I'd think, which should add at least SACD.

Here's a couple links to Secrets reviews of the old model:
            home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Bam!
              Question : How good is the transport on a multi disk...if I can ask?
              Bam, actually, I've wondered about this too. Maybe people can explain this to me. Why is the transport (I assume that's the tray that slides out) important in the player, other than making sure that it doesn't jam up so you can't get your movies out? I don't think the disc actually sits in the tray when it spins. Is a single-disc player going to give you better sound inherently over a multi-disc for some reason?

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

Is a single-disc player going to give you better sound inherently over a multi-disc for some reason?
                Well? what do you think?Is it?
                Some tell me yes some tell me no...I wonder too!

Thnacks Chris can`t spell that word anymore thanks to pr@!!!!! and his pictures!!

Take care!

Bam!

Comment

• Bam!
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2004

Thnaks Aud19!

I`ll check it out...there is something about Denon that well....I don`t know..can`t put my finger on it...I guess I am not the biggest fan of Denon...I know a lot of guys swear by it though....

Don`t get me wrong I have never had a Denon...hence no bad experience...1500.00$ Denon???? :? Sounds strange to say I know :yesnod:

Anyway Merci!

Bam!

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

GUYS! :drool:

whatcha you thinka?

I heard this puppy at one of my buddies house. I love Musical Fidelity...the sound is so sweet..I think their DAC has a lot to do with it...

PROBLEM: My Onkyo 575x...will I be using as a frisbee because the sound will not sing like at his place (he has Bryston 4bst) Bryston Home theater Pre Amp....

I didn`t ask him...but how much is this little sucker worth!

option No 2:

This Rotel really stung me also and since I want to go with new 1055 or 1056.... :?

Thanks guys...and I know it is not multi disk!

Bam!

Comment

• mazuly
                      • Feb 2003

Hi,

I do have the RDV-1080 and it is a very good player. DVD-A sounds exceptionally good and CD playback is acceptable but it is no where near RCD-1072 from Rotel. The video playback is also very good even though it is a little soft in progressive scan. The layer change sucks though, it is slow to the point that I have always noticed it on all the DVDs I have watched.

Now, would I buy another Rotel player, only if they offer SACD playback and HDMI/DVI output.

Finally I am not sure if you can find a 1080 since it has been discontinued. I think you have to get a 1060 instead and from what I have heard, it is almost as good as 1080. The audio part might be a little inferior, but the video part is a little better.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
                      Maziar

Comment

• Bam!
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2004

Thanks Mazuly!

Hey CLUB ROTEL...back to back 1080`s 2 minutes a part...I was exactly in that thread when the light went out on me...Took 5 minutes to get back in!

So I swallowed what you said...Thanks....

I still know that I will see and here an improvement over my Pioneer 302...no?!!!

Bam!

Comment

• mazuly
                          • Feb 2003

I am not sure since I have never tried pioneer 302, but I would think you will get improvement over audio part.

I am going to ISF calibrate my TV in March and if you want, I can, let you know what the calibrator would think about PQ of the 1080.

What I have heard was that Rotel bought the transport and some of the electronics from JVC and then improved on it. It is certainly better than the JVC ones.

Can you maybe take a 1080 home for in-home audition?

Thanks,
                          Maziar

Comment

• Bam!
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2004

Mazuly!

Sorry it took so long I didn`t realize you had written back again!

Listen bud your replies they :-y .

The answer is yes by the way...but for the player, they have it in a pawn shop...they are selling it for 475.00$...it is brand new and in the box and no it isn`t stolen..it has been verified...

Thanks bud!

Bam!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"