Cheap Tweak Series, article II: yup, you guessed it, calibration!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Cheap Tweak Series, article II: yup, you guessed it, calibration!

You remember the great power outage of 03, right? Well, those poor folks in NY to Canada had more on their minds than A/V, but think for a moment. Does your system reset when power goes out? Do you loose your settings?

Now the question we really get to. Do you own a Radio Shack or other sound calibration meter? If you do, you may have some work to do.

Get that meter out of the cabinet, put a hot battery in, sit down and calibrate your audio. But first, have you really checked your speaker toe in? Direction of surrounds? Check that first. I recommend your main left and right just slightly toed in. If you've got those speakers on a shelf up high, tisk tisk. We need to get them down where the tweeters are at or slightly above ear level. Toe them in ever so slightly toward the sweet spot. Surrounds, if they are mounted up high, aim the tweeters just slightly over your head.

That done, sit down, set weighting to C, click the dial on analog meters over to 70, and adjust the white noise to 75 using the +/- for each channel. You need to sit down out of the way, while adjusting the sound, position the meter vertical up slightly above your head, and adjust each channel.

That done, you may want to think about your video too. Run Avia or Video Essentials and adjust the brightness, color, contrast to maximize your viewing pleasure.

If you don't know what to do on a step, get stuck, just pop back in and ask the experts your questions. They'll be glad to help-

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Fortunately all my rack equipment has memory backup, but a good suggestion for those who don't.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

George, it was a nice way of reminding those that don't calibrate at all. They are out there! Hey, I've been guilty myself at times. Just don't take the time to do it. Things can happen that cause resets, or new equipment is moved in other moved out. Changing a pair of speakers, changes calibrations. Just trying to remind people of this.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"