X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Speak Level Calibration Question

Hi All,
    This may be a dumb question, but the usual practice to calibrate speakers is to set your sound meter to the 70-75 db range, send a test tone through the left speaker and adjust the volume on your receiver until your sound meter reads 75db. You then balance the rest of the speakers using each speaker level db adjustment.

Ok here's my question. I have had an Onkyo 787 for three years now and my wife knows that if you set the volume between 25 - 35 (goes up to 80) it won't get too loud. Recently I have upgraded my speakers to 4ohm types that aren't as efficient as my previous speakers (89db vs previous 93db). I've also added two Rotel power amps (RMB 1075, RB1070) and now the Onkyo just acts as a processor. To keep my wife happy (I have to, considering the money she let me spend on all of this ), I set the Onkyo volume at 35 then raised each of the speaker level db adjustments so that each speaker was putting out 75db from my seated position. This meant that instead of the level adjustments being around +1 or +2 db as would of been the case if I followed the standard method for calibration, then are sitting around +8 or +9db for each speaker. Does using such high speaker level adjustments have any determental effect of speakers / or amp?

Thanks
    Stephen

My Home Theatre
    My Home Theatre
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Did you initially set your left speaker to 0db? After that. then set your spl meter to 75db and turn the volume to obtain the 75db reading. Your remaining speakers should then be calibrated from that point.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"