X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mac7719
    • Nov 2003

Pre/Pro Upgrade Decision Help

Hi All,

Once again, I return to the forum for guidance. I recently received a call from my local HT shop to notify me that Rotel is announcing a replacement for the RSP-1066 in January and that if I want to take advantage of the trade-up program, I should do so before the end of the year. Based on comments from the good folks at Club Rotel and on a side-by-side comparison of the two Rotel products, I had already decided to make this move. I went to the store today for what I thought would be a simple transaction (I guess that was my mistake) and I stumbled upon an additional option. The dealer has a demo Krell Showcase Processor that I could get for roughly the same price (okay, a couple hundred more). I have no experience with Krell products. As far as I know they have a good reputation. Can anyone provide advise to assist me in my decision between the Krell and the RSP-1098? I am interested reliability and support as well as actual product performance. I use the system for 70% music/30% theater. The other key components are a RMB-1075 amp and Dynaudio Contour series speakers. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

--Mike
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That's a really tough choice as both are going to be wonderfully sounding units. I'd guess the Rotel will have more features while the krell will be more bare bones but I could be off base and given your preference for 2 channel it might not matter. Does the krell have a true analog input for DVD-A and SACD?

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, Krell's had a good reputation over the years. I believe they have slipped from the limelight some though the past few years. Sometimes, you see bargain Krell stuff on various auction sites. That doesn't mean they are bad.

But I think Rotel is likely more in tune with the home theater market, just guessing. The Showcase line has been around a couple of years, but you hear remarkedly little about it, you hear of few people that own it. Why? That's the question I have, is why. We know what a following Rotel has, look at Club Rotel.

Were it me, I'd look at a Lexicon before a Krell, but Lexicon may not be in your group of choices.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi Mike,

Tell your dealer this will require a home-audition for the Showcase and the Rotel. If he/she's a stand-up dealer, this will not be an issue. A decision for you at that price point should involve hearing the units in your home. Remember, you are in the driver's seat here - the dealer needs your money, you don't need the equipment. An A/B listening session will tell you what you need to know.

Both Rotel and Krell are well established, well thought of electronics firms. Rotel is a more mid-range focused company moving upward while Krell is a high-end firm that is moving into the mid-range electronic environment. Both will most likely be around to support your purchase for years to come.

Good luck.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"