X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muckyd
    • Jun 2003

B&W 602 or603

I'm new to this forum.

I can't decide if I should get the DM602 or DM603 for the for the front speakers. I am going to get the DM601 for the rears and LCR600 for the center. I've listened to both 602/603 several times - the 602 seems 'brighter' - I asked the salesman about this and he stated it was because the 602 was on a shelf above the normal listening position and that the 602 was more loaded toward higher frequencies since it did not have a dedicated mid-range. Is that true about the frequencies? I listen to classical, jazz, blues, opera and like high energy action DVD's. Also, I have a problem with the 602 on stands when my grandchild is around. Just not sure which one to get - has anyone had this decision to make and why did you choose the one you did.

thanks
    greg
  • Harry Tuttle
    • Jun 2003

Greg,

They both are wonderful speakers, and just to confuse your decision even more, I also auditioned the 602.5's. I ended up choosing the 602 (with the LCR60) as I found/liked the tighter bass control this speaker displayed. I didn't notice any difference in the speakers in the upper frequencies.

On first hooking them up at home, I did notice that the speakers were `bright'. But I had been warned about this, so I did let them run in for a good 72 hours before actually sitting down and listening to them properly in my environment.

But it seems to me you prefer the 603's. Due to the fact that you didn't notice the brightness (if it was me, this would always be on the back of my mind) and they are floorstanders. The other option you have is the DM602.5 S3. Basically, it is a 601 in a 603 case. It is perfect with the 601 (rear) you have chosen. It just might satisfy your requirements.

I am a bit concerned by your choice of the LCR600.
    The 601, 602.5 & 603 are designed for small to medium size rooms. The 602 for medium yet the LCR600 is for medium to large rooms. Have you considered you room size? The LCR60 might be a better choice and better matched plus save a few $$$$ along the way. Just another consideration.

The speakers on stands have not been a problem for my 2 (3yrs & 18mths). Fingers crossed that they don't. I hadn't even thought about it. Should I take the sand out, so if they do fall, it is not as heavy. Or replace the sand with lead to make them even more stable - but then if it did fall ...... 2 words come to mind, guts and garters.

Let me know what you end up buying. And if there is anything I can help you with.

HT

Harry
    Harry

Comment

• leeda2
      • May 2003

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
      Greg,

I am a bit concerned by your choice of the LCR600.
      The 601, 602.5 & 603 are designed for small to medium size rooms. The 602 for medium yet the LCR600 is for medium to large rooms. Have you considered you room size? The LCR60 might be a better choice and better matched plus save a few $$$$ along the way. Just another consideration.
      I will have to disagree about the center channel. The 603 and the LCR600 share the same size drivers and is a better timbre match than the LCR60. The LCR60 is designed to be used with the 602.5 and below.

As for which is better... if you listen to a fair amount of music (2ch without a sub) you'd be better off going with the 603 since the bass response would be much "better" in my opinion. Also, if you're at all worried about a speaker falling off of a stand, the floorstander is probably as likely to get tipped over. The 602s are quite heavy and if you purchase an appropriate stand, they should be just as sturdy as the floorstanders.

Good luck with your search!

Comment

• Harry Tuttle
        • Jun 2003

Yes, the LCR600 is a much better timbre match for the 603.

But for my money, ears and living room, I would not put the LCR600 with the 602.

Perhaps, I was reading between the lines, but I read the original post and felt that speakers had been selected without factoring in the integration of the system into the listening room.

Apologies if I had assumed too much.

Harry
        Harry

Comment

• muckyd
          • Jun 2003

I did purchase the 602 this weekend. The store had these with the LCR600 setup in a room and I listened for quite some time and thought it matched well. They had to be ordered so probably next weekend I will be able to gt them in my house.
          Was wondering about a receiver - maybe eventually go for a Rotel amp but need a better receiver now that I could use as a pre/pro. Have considered Denon 3802 or Marantz SR7200 but have been unable to hear either one with these speakers. My thinking was to go for last years models to save some money but still have a good quality receiver.
          What would match 'best' with B&W 600 series?

6th avenue (online store) has the Denon for $595 but I have had a hard time finding the Marantz except for re-furbished.

Comment

• muckyd
            • Jun 2003

What height stand would be 'best' for the 602? Considering the Sanus 22" metal model.
            What height stand would be 'best' for the 601 as surrounds?

Comment

• Wilfred
              • May 2003

I recentlt purchased the 602 too, they are on a pair of Sound Organisation Z522 stands, absoultly stable and good looking!! (stands are available locally) Light/Medium touch is ok, but I don't think anything will stop a kid if he/she runs into a bookshelf speaker+stand combo.

As far as height of stand, you should buy one such that the front tweeters are at ear level, for me that's 24". For the back, according to Dobly specs, they should be mounted 2-3ft above ear level, but I have mine (600) on a 29" Lovan stand instead. Some day I might take them higher...

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Hi Wilfred, it's nice to have another Houstonian around the forum! :later:

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Wilfred
                  • May 2003

Hello David! I mostly just hang around Club Rotel. In an audio desert like Houston, it is nice to know there are people out there with the same interest.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"