X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

DVD player..whats a buyer to do?

I am considering a new DVD player. I currently have a 32" tube but in the furture will upgrade to a wide screen probably rear projected HDTV. I mention that because picture quality is somewhat of a concern. I am also hoping to be able to find a quality unit that incorporates the DVDA and SACD capability. I have heard the Pioneer doesnt have the best picture and in particular the 45A doesnt have a strong SACD. I saw the 47ai today and it is a little pricey @ $840.00 but again I have heard the Pioneer's arent the best picture quality. So, whats a buyer to do. I know there are some coming, but I am not sure what, when, How good and or how much I can expect from these new ones. Any suggestions other than buying two units would be appreciated. I am not 100% against two...but the WAF (wife approval factor) goes way down on buying two additional boxes even if the total amount spent is the same as one that does it all. So, thats the delimma...please help. :?:

You just can't fix stupid
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

The best combo player, IMHO, out right now is the Denon 2900...you can read about many players including that one here:

Great site that gives you detailed test info of many of the top players out there!

Good luck...

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Foxman,

Just to let you know if you're interested. Refurbed Pioneer 47ai's are on limited stock right now at Ecost.com for $489. They say that this includes free shipping, but I recall hearing somewhere that they still tack on a handling charge.

Like everything, if you're interested, I'd do some research, especially on the issues of warranty and whether they're an authorized dealer. I bought my Denon 1600 from them (thanks Andrew) and it works fine. Just to be sure, I bought a two year extended warranty @ $19/year. Still, it was way under retail.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Foxman
        • Jan 2003

Thanks for the reply. I had never heard of ecost.com. I checked them out a little. The more I hear about the 47ai the more I think it is not going to suit me. As much as I hate to spend a grand or slightly less it looks like the 2900 is the consensus choice. I havent ruled anything else out, but I am tracking the best price possible on a 2900 and so far a used one "new in the box" if that makes and sence has been found for about $150 less than even the likes of crazy eddie., I wil keep you posted.

You just can't fix stupid
        IMO

My Movies
        Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yamaha has a clone of the Denon as well that was all the rave a few weeks ago so you might want to look into that one as well. Both the Denon and Yamaha are using the panasonic guts which is why they're both getting top marks for video performance.

If you have the room though you might consider the Denon 1600 and a Sony 222ES SACD changer..should be similar in cost and the 222ES should make a better CD player...of course this would mean you'd have two 5.1 analog inputs to deal with.

Comment

• clm811
            • Nov 2002

Guys,
            I have had my Denon 2900 for a month and I compared about half dozen Universal players before making my choice. On my widescreen HDTV, it IS the best: audio, video, and versatility-wise(the DVD1600 only has one digital output -toslink. I appreciate having the coaxial out as well on the 2900). -cm
            Charles Moore

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I'm still waiting for the next Holy Grail of DVD players, which for features needs DVD-A, DVD-V, MP3, and SACD capabilities, with a DVI output. The next step after that would be to add Windows Media 9 capability (or any other software-based HD player about to come out) for TRUE high-def DVD's like the latest Terminator 2 disc.

Currently, I'm sweet on the Samsung HD-931, which apparently can play DVD-A, DVD-V, and others but not a SACD. It does have a DVI output, and even upconverts ALL video it spits out to 720p or 1080i at your discretion.

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I guess I have to come down on the other side of the fence.

Has there yet been an all-in-one box that REALLY was able to play each the various formats at a high level? Seems like you always have trade-offs of some kind or other. I still vote for the separates route for reaching the best level of each format available. Foxman, in your situation, I'd recommend holding off until something better is out there. I mean why purchase a unit that'll play DVD-A and SACD if one or both are output at a quality level barely above that of good Redbook CD?

Curious (and somewhat damp from the hurricane) in Houston. . . .

One caveat here, tho. Foxman, I understand that the WAF does play a major role at times in these decisions, and that can be the overriding consideration. Apologies for not having a better suggestion than waiting.

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dr C
                  • Feb 2003

Gonna slightly divert this thread and ask if you guys haven't considered DVD recorders. What are your thoughts on them and has anyone used such machines ? is there a format of choice +RW or RAM or -RW ?

Personally I have used such a device (+RW) and haven't explored all the features but so far it's been cool

Unfortunately we don't have HD programming in our part of the woods so cannot report on this possibility (copy protection ?) but am asking someone to try it out in Australia.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

David- Something i've been wondering-- isn't the format reading really just a software function, not hardware? If so, why is it a big deal to make players which can read various formats, and why do some sound better than others on particular formats?

CHRIS
                    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"