X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdecker
    • Jun 2002

Speaker settings...Large/Small???

I just bought a pair of Klipsch KG 5.2's. I now have 5.2's as my mains and surrounds and 4.2's as center surrounds. My center is a KG 2.2v.

The preamp is a Rotel 1055, with a Rotel 985mkII and a RB 1070 powering the speakers. Subs are 2 SVS 20-39's and a 25-31PCi.

The Rotel 1055 allows the subs to crossed over at 40hz, 60hz, and 80hz. It does go higher but I have no need of the higher frequencies.

I currently have the speakers set to small with a 40hz xover. With this setting nearly all room mode issues are gone. The problem is the KG 2.2 is not capable of playing down to 40hz. The other speakers have no problem going down to 40hz in my room. I wish the Rotel had the Outlaw or HK triple crossover.

I have been thinking of setting all speakers to large except the center. I could then HP the center at 60 or 80hz. This would solve the center channels problem, but the rest of the speakers cant go much lower than 40hz with any volume. I was using 60hz as a HP xover before I got the 5.2's as surrounds, but then I have a few bass issues(peaks and valleys). This worked out ok for HT but for music I really prefer the 40hz setting.

Anyone have any thoughts. I have a BFD and am pretty good at using it, but I would really like to get rid of any extra wires and adapters in my system. They can only add noise.

Earle
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

With this setting nearly all room mode issues are gone.

Earle, with that situation, I'd recommend NOT MESSING WITH IT! An essentially flat room curve is something to be treasured. :T Have you tested to see how much, if any information you will be losing in the sub-60 Hz (or is it sub-80 Hz?) region in the center channel? With dialog being the CC's reason for being (generally), I'd suspect you won't be missing much IF ANYTHING. If you are losing enough to warrant it, how about putting a small dedicated sub on the CC output? That would introduce less variables to have to overcome than changing the output of all of your other speakers.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• sdecker
      • Jun 2002

David,

thanks for the response. I get the flattest in room response with the speakers HP at 40hz. The problem is my center (KG 2.2v) cant go that low. Im thinking a building a center channel stand, hoping that by getting the speaker off the TV, not the best spot for a speaker, I might get a little better resonse from the center channel.

I have gone back to a 60hz HP for all speakers and put the BFD back into the loop.

Your thoughts on adding a sub to the center channel have intrigued me. I would have never thought about adding a sub to a speaker that is HP at 40hz, but am now thinking that the Sony 12" sub might be perfect for this application. It has plenty of output at 40hz and would never have to go deeper. Would spliting the preamp outs of my 1055 cause any problems? If that is OK then I may split the R/L outputs and put the 25-31PCi there and set the mains to large.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

earle

Comment

• sdecker
        • Jun 2002

I love to tweak!

Im back at 40hz and am using the BFD to try and get a slight room curve down low.

I think Im gonna try the center sub. I figure nearly any small sub(<$200) is capable of good output to 40hz. It will be a cheap test and if it doesnt work out I can always use the sub on my PC. The sub would make a nice center channel stand too.

Ill post my findings

earle

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hey Earle, that sounds like fun! I don't think there will be any problems with splitting the pre-outs however, I'll leave any detailed responses to the Rotel crew, as I have no knowledge of how your unit will handle that.

Let us know how it goes. . . . Hmmm, a center channel stand - I wonder if Jen would buy that as a justification for a new Velodyne HGS-18?

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• sdecker
            • Jun 2002

Ok, I just found a open box Polk PSW202 at CC for a great price. It has a 10" driver.

I am not able to use it as a center channel stand as the center channel blocks to TV. I have the sub sitting in front of the TV with the 2.2v on the TV. My webstie has pics of the setup.

I just ran the sub from the 1055's 2nd center preout, I forgot the 1055 had 2 center preouts. I calibrated it by ear by placing the 1055 in 7 channelstereo and uplugging all speakers except the center. I adjusted the lowpass crossover until it sounded good and then just adjusted the volume.

I have to say that it makes a pretty significant differnece. There seems to be alittle more umph(for a lack of a better term) up front.

I'm thinking about trying to add a house curve with the BFD, but everything sounds great now. Ive finally started to go with what sounds better to me than trying to get a picture perfect response.

Earle

PS.
            David,

That would be alittle overkill for a center channel sub, but hey can you ever have too much of a good thing

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"