Any good full-range 6.5" out there for a simple, symmetrical center channel.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SQconstable
    • Mar 2005

Any good full-range 6.5" out there for a simple, symmetrical center channel.

I see some 4" Dayton full-range drivers but nothing in 6.5" size. Any suggestions for one and also a proven crossover design? I already have a sealed .60 cu. ft. enclosure built and can port if necessary. I'd like to go as deep as possible, freq-wise, with this design. I have highpass selections such as 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, and so on...
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Why don't you use one of the Seas coaxes?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• SQconstable
      • Mar 2005

I just found that one in my research. I am trying to place a large order just through PE to avoid paying for more shipping elsewhere. The thing is that PE doesn't carry Seas or I may jump on it. Then I still gotta spend around $35 bucks for a crossover.

Is there a cheaper option that anyone knows about?

Comment

• Biff
        • Jul 2006

You could use a decent autosound co-ax like the Hi-Vi or Vifa and Audax units and do a better XO. I am using the Hi-Vi 6.5s in a vehicle and they are not too shabby as is.

Comment

• mayhem13
          • May 2008

I would have to wonder if a full range would be a viable option for a center channel with so much essential material being routed there. A ceiling mounted coax from pe mounted in your box is probobly the best way to go if it must be that type of design by space limitiations.

Comment

• SQconstable
            • Mar 2005

I wanted to use a Vifa coaxial but the box response plot is horrible no matter what box volume or porting freq! It only resembled a decent looking curve when I had a porting frequency close to 0Hz. Also, the tweeter is too huge in my opinion, blocking a decent amount of the cone surface area. I do like the 7" Seas coaxial but $180 for the woofer and crossover.. hmm.. there has to be something else out there. Are midwoofer coaxials with impregnated tweeters this rare?!? I get the impression that my current Vifa is just a simple marriage of some huge tweeter nad an inexpensive woofer.

Comment

• SQconstable
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mayhem13
              I would have to wonder if a full range would be a viable option for a center channel with so much essential material being routed there. A ceiling mounted coax from pe mounted in your box is probobly the best way to go if it must be that type of design by space limitiations.
              I guess space limitation isn't the issue. My current box is 18" wide, 7.5" tall, and 11" deep. I used 5/8" MDF and there is some bracing. The only real constraint was the visual height (7.5" was a max that my wife and I felt was right) and the 18" width, which was the right visual appearance for the shelf it sits upon... on the DLP. I was able to get .60 cubic feet from this box so I wouldn't call it a real space limitation.

With WinISD, the best I can get from the Seas T18REX/XFC is a 50Hz tuning with the 15.5 liter box I have is to use two 1.5" x 6" round ports. I'd use a larger diameter than 1.5" but I only have a limited depth there. I guess I'd be ok with a tuning of 50Hz for this one but maybe I should just get a separate woofer for this one.. I know I could get 40Hz tuning with a good woofer, add a good tweet, and still be under the price of that 7" Seas coaxial. I wonder if the woofer cone acting like a waveguide in the T18REX/XFC is a good thing for a center channel loudspeaker, having a result that would be far better than using a woofer + tweeter 2-way design.

I already have an SR-71 kit that I need to build enclosures for today.. they're for the mains. Would it make better sense to just use the same components for the center? ER18RNX woofer, 27TDFC tweet. OH how funny.. $180 is the price for half an SR-71 kit! Looks like I'm doomed to $180 haha.

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

A good crossover can make cheap drivers sound good. A bad crossover can make the best drivers in the world sound like garbage.

If I were you, I would seriously consider just using a phantom center channel.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• SQconstable
                  • Mar 2005

I can't do that here... I'm listening to discrete 5.1, not simulated 5.1. Further, SACD recordings have specific info in the center that can't simply be phantomized.
                  For audiophiles who love multichannel music, the center-channel speaker is a problem second only, perhaps, to that of bass management. In many ways, the rerouting of bass to a subwoofer or to the front left and right main speakers is dictated by room acoustics or the bass limitations of the other speakers. On the other hand, most of us had no real need for a discrete center-channel to fill in the middles of our traditional stereo systems.

While watching "30 Days of Nights" last night, I didn't enjoy the dialogue/effects as much without the true center channel connected. It was mixed purposely with a center in mind, and even when I did a 2-channel "downmix" on the Rotel, it still didn't have a realism that a center channel brings. On the 5.1 SACD side of things.. well we won't go there.. it's just plain necessary! Dang, ya know maybe I should just get 1/2 of an SR-71 parts-only kit now that I think more about it, to match my SR-71 mains. The center enclosure is perfect around 16L... the only thing is that I already cut the woofer hole in the direct center so that means a tweeter will have to be placed either right or left of it. This is what I never liked about conventional, 2-way woof/tweet combos for center. Aesthetically, I like the way speaker drivers look and it's not symmetrical with a tweeter one way or the other. I know the sound won't necessarily be distracting having a tweeter to one side of the woofer, but visually I guess I'd have to cover it up. I'm surprised there aren't more drivers like the Seas coaxial for this application. It just makes sense having 1 point source for the center from a DIY perspective. There are other variables though.. in the mixing setups for 5.1 that I've had experience with, they're always 5 identical stand-mounted 2-ways (Dynaudio's are popular). Therefore, the tweeters are always exactly aligned vertically with the woofer in the studio environment. I know, this is all nitpicky, but I assume most people are building MTM's for symmetry reasons. In my case, if I build an SR-71 for the center, I suppose I'm basically plopping a conventional 2-way on it's side. I'll wait to see how I like these SR-71's and then I may just buy 1.5 pairs for the completion of the 5.1 setup (surrounds too).

Comment

• musicgioni
                    • May 2008

Well, YES AND NO

Originally posted by ---k---
                    A good crossover can make cheap drivers sound good. A bad crossover can make the best drivers in the world sound like garbage.

If I were you, I would seriously consider just using a phantom center channel.
                    Hi there I am totally new here and I wanted to congratulate everyone for the enthousiasm shown. It is refreshing for me to see this kind of interest for things I love.

One comment I have regarding the statement that a good crossover can make a bad driver sound good and a bad crossover can make a great driver sound bad... Not exactly my experience thoughout the years. Ideally, the best crossover one can use is NO crossover at all! And a good crosover will never correct for cone break ups poor cone material, ringing and other ills that bad drivers suffer from.

Yes a great driver with a bad crossover will never achieve its full potential but it will not sound like crap either... Its greatness will show though even at a much diminished level...

Anyway, I am glad I found this site and bunch of super dedicated DIYs!

Cheers to all :lol:

Comment

• dawaro
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                      Why don't you use one of the Seas coaxes?
                      like this one
                      Seas Loki
                      I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Bent
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2003

Haha, my first referal link...

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"