X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awtryau89
    • Dec 2002

Going back to Lexicon

Just wanted to let anyone who's interested know, I am selling my new Silver B&K Ref 50 and going back to a Lexicon processor. When I evaluate my listening habits, I am much more HT than music than I want to admit. For HT there is just no substitute for Logic 7....so back to the Lex I go. I will post the Ref 50 in the sales forum.

Eric Awtry
    War Eagle
    Eric Awtry
    War Eagle
  • craigdcan
    • Dec 2002

Which Lexicon will you be going back to?(MC1?)
    Is it only for Logic7, or is the whole surround experience better?
    If the Ref50 better for music? How much better?
    What will you miss from the Ref50?
    If it is the MC1, it doesn't support DTS-discrete...is this a non-issue?

I look forward to your reply.

-Craig

Comment

• awtryau89
      • Dec 2002

Which Lexicon will you be going back to?(MC1?)
      Is it only for Logic7, or is the whole surround experience better?
      If the Ref50 better for music? How much better?
      What will you miss from the Ref50?
      If it is the MC1, it doesn't support DTS-discrete...is this a non-issue?
      Let me see if I can offer some answers.

1. I am trying for an MC-1 but a DC-2 will do nicely at the right price. I do not need the additional inputs but I would like to have the direct access to the expansion port DACs on the MC-1 for 2-channel purity.

2. I came from a DC-1 and cannot speak to how much better the MC-1/DC-2 will be (I have heard it is much better) but overall it mainly goes back to Logic 7/Music Logic. There is no substitute for this although I have tried to convince myself otherwise. The adjustability is also a key to me. To be able to dial in the sound is important. The B&K has this but it is in more of a general sense.

3. The Ref 50 is definitely better than my old DC-1 for straight 2-channel music. I cannot speak to how much better it will be than the MC-1/DC-2. Most of my listening is moving upwards of 80% HT right now. I have a lead on a great 2-channel preamp with HT bypass for the future if I need to go that way again. Overall the Ref 50 is just warmer, smoother and more transparent than the DC-1.

4. At this time, I do not think I will miss anything about the Ref 50 aside from the remote and knowing I had all the latest formats and bypass. These latter are not as much of a concern as I will use L7 for everything and since I have had the B&K I have used the bypass only once for a very short listening session.

5. DTS ES Discreet is a non issue for me as the software is so sparse and Logic 7 will do 99.9% as well to my ears.

I hope this helps clarify. I do not want to disparage the B&K as it is an outstanding unit and I really like it alot. There are some underlying issues going on with me and Logic 7 is really a deal breaker for me when I really analyze my listening habits.

Eric Awtry
      War Eagle
      Eric Awtry
      War Eagle

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Let me throw in my 2 cents. I owned a DC-1 for over a year, before the MC-1 came out. I took advantage of the trade program. So, I had an MC-1 here, prior to my DC-1 leaving. So, my time between using the 2 products was very slight. Immediately on plugging the MC-1 up, it's quiter noise floor, better DACs, improved 2 channel were apparent. The MC-1 is a very good product. Short of it's lack of analog bypass and software upgradability, there's not much it doesn't do right.

I can't really comment on the DC-2. I've heard a lot of claims that it's basically an MC-1. I don't think that's true myself. I know for a fact the DACs in the MC-1 are better. Let's face it, for digital processors, that's an important difference. Even if everything else is the same, the DC-2 will still come up short of the MC-1 on the basis of the DACs.

I'll leave discussion of the MC-12 for another time.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ricky
          • Aug 2000

Eric,

Welcome back to Logic 7; I know you missed it!

Lex,

Buzz Goddard (and Phillip Brandes) have repeated stated that the audio innards of the DC2 and MC1 are the SAME. So the dacs will sound exactly the same; whether or not you try to verify this with your own ears is irrelevant. DVDs, DSS, and analog sources will sound the same.

The MC1 expansion port A dac is different; these are 24/96 capable dacs that do not go through the dsp board or any bass mgmt...true 2 channel 2.0 (no sub, no center, no surround speakers).

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Ricky, while that may well be true, it is contrary to what Lexicon said when they came out. That's what I'm saying.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Ricky
              • Aug 2000

Whatever was said in ~ 1998 before the DC2/MC1 launch is pretty irrelevant when Buzz Goddard, former Head/VP of Marketing at Lexicon, has repeatedly stated in the past several months: "THE AUDIO INNARDS ARE THE SAME." He never seems to elaborate on this, as the statement really stands on its own. And Lexicon *Expert* Phillip Brandes concurs.

As far as I'm concerned, unless Buzz reverses his statement, the DC2 and MC1 are sonically the same.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"