X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David R.
    • Apr 2003

Avia OR Video Essentials DVD

This is more for Andrew or anyone else who might live in Winnipeg, MB.. Is there any place in winnipeg that sells the Avia Or Video Essentials DVD?
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

A&B Sound my friend...not cheap though. It will run you about $80.00 8O

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• David R.
      • Apr 2003

Thanks gordon..

Comment

• David R.
        • Apr 2003

Well i bought the Avia disc from Amazon.ca.. But im getting some differences in the different test tracks.

The meter is set to slow and c-weight as AVIA suggests.

I start by using the tracks in the "Main speaker setup" menu. Using the Left-front, Center, Right front, etc.. tracks i end up making the following adjustments in the reciever:
        Front Left = +1db
        Center = 0db
        Front Right = +2
        SR = +4db
        SL = +8db

Im using the center as the starting point and measuring @ 85db. Im ok with the front right being 1db different then the Left because of the room (3 walls, Left side has a wall, right side does not). But the Surround speaker levels don't make any sense.

Anyway i went on to the verification/evaluation tracks and using the circulating clicks, and the circulating pink noise i noticed the center doesn't seem right.. It almost sounds like the center isnt as loud as the 2 main speakers. Interesting.

After that i noticed there was more test tracks (Wide band pink noise tracks) under the "reference tones" menu. So i started with the center and turned up the volume tell i read 85db on the meter. These are the measurements for all speakers:
        Left front = 87db
        Center = 85db
        Right front = 88db
        RS = 88db
        LS = 92db ????????

The 2 mains and the one surround speakers seem to be 2-3db greater and the left surround is 7db greater, and 4db more then the right surround. If you notice the first settings i had to set the LS 4db greater then the RS speaker. Interesting.

When i re-adjust the levels to match the center speaker (85db) again using the tracks in the reference tones menu and go back to the verification/evaluation clicks and circ. pink noise tracks they sound much better. Going between the mains and the center there is no level or tone differences.

So whats going on between the 2 sets of test tracks? Anyone else find this?

My front mains are set to Large (I have no sub) my center and my surrounds are set to small (Not that my center is "small", right Andrew? HAHA). I tried setting the mains to small and also turning the sub on with the xover set to 80hz. This made no difference.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I've noticed differences between the tests with the centre before but not the sides. I usually end up picking a happy medium between the various avia test and the receivers test tones (to get the rear centre dialed in). Out of curiosity what do the receivers test tones tell you? I wonder if the rears will be that far out with those tones :?:

Comment

• David R.
            • Apr 2003

Andrew i made the measurements you requested.
            front left = 86db
            center = 85db
            front right = 85db
            SR =91db
            SL =91db
            Thats the db readings of the receivers test tones, with the receiver setup using the tracks in the "Main speaker setup" menu of the AVIA disc.

I also did another experiment. This time the receiver is setup using the tracks in the "reference tones" menu, again to 85db for all speakers. The adjustments to the receiver are as follows:
            front left = -4
            center = 0
            front right = -3
            SR =0
            SL =0
            And when playing the Receivers tones i get the following readings:
            front left = 82db
            center = 85db
            front right = 82db
            SR =87db
            SL =83db

Hope everything makes sense.. I think im going to have a look at the SL speaker to see if its wired wrong, and play around with a few other things

Comment

• David R.
              • Apr 2003

Well i think i figured out the problem with the surrounds.. Looks like its something wrong with one.. I replaced the surrounds with some spare speakers i had and the problem went away.. Then i placed the surround speakers on the front main channels and the problem followed.. One side was 4db lower then the other. I checked the impedance of each speaker and they match..

I guess i will be calling Adire tomorrow!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

David to be sure you could swap the surrounds and see if the problem moves to the other side.

Comment

• David R.
                  • Apr 2003

Yeah i think i have figured out the surround speaker problem.. I think its one of the AV8"s.. Probably the poorly sheilded one i mentioned in my other post.

But what i still dont understand is the almost 4db difference between the 2 different test tracks on AVIA. In my first set of measurements the front mains and rear surrounds are 3-4db louder then the center channel when measured using the "reference" tracks.. Weird

Comment

• spiffnme
                    • Apr 2003

The Avia disc is on Ebay pretty much all the time, and can usually be had for about $35 (USD)

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                    All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"