X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Issues with DVD ROM drives

Well, folks, it never seems to amaze me how many DVD-ROM drives seem to have their quirks.

On my audio test system (Slot A Athlon 600) I've been using a Sony 16X drive for almost two years without problems- I recently installed the Cineplayer 4.0 from Ravisent on this system, and at that point, this system moved to the head of the pack (my PC's) as far as DVD playback quality goes.

It stayed at that point for about two days, until the Sony drive died. What's even odder, is that it seems to have taken out the secondary IDE port. Now, the question can be asked, did the drive kill the MOBO port, or the other way around?

I tried a couple of other drives on that connection, and though they were recognized correctly at boot up, they couldn't be used to read data. The system thought it was looking at a music CD. I tried another new 16X Sony drive in this test. Strangely, another friend putting together a new desktop based on my current desktop design (KT266A MSI Mobo) experienced blue screen of death problems with his new Sony drive, too.

Cure? For this older system, without any RAID or ATA controllers built in, a short trip to my local Compu USA, and picked up an ATA100 board. I also swung by my Central Computer, and scarfed up the three Pioneer 16X slot load DVDROM drives they had in stock. One went to my friend, one for my daughter's system (where the new Sony DVDROM had been destined), and one for my Athlon 600.

Within minutes of getting home, flawless DVD playback in progress. Now, it's true that when the 16X Pioneers spin up to full speed, they are a skosh noisy, but I found that it just idled along nicely (in my system) for reading DVD. After a brief test session watching a whole FarScape episode and Swordfish, I buttoned the box back up and considered it a problem solved.

For the record, other brands of DVDROM's I've used have been Toshiba, Creative, Hitachi, and ACER. The Toshiba's have been reliable, but prone to firmware quirks and stutters on playback. The Hitachi was the first ever DVD-ROM bought (bundled with a Chromatic Research based video/dvd card, in 98), and it still works, but doesn't seem to be compatible with XP and some of the newer CD copy protection schemes, so it's just been retired. The ACER and Creative labs have been solid performers, the ACER being a value leader before I picked up these Pioneer drives at $82 each. I *thought* Sony was fine, but two failures in a month in the small sampling I work with has spooked me a little.

Happy Holidays, folks!

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Hmm, interesting findings Jon, glad you got them working great now though!

My DVD Rom is a Pioneer slot type. Seems to work ok, but is a bit noisy.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Jon you are a true Hardware junkie!

I was reading on the new ATI All In Wonder Radeon and was thinking about you. It has what is VIDEO IMMERSION™ II. using some advanced adaptive de-interlacing algorithm, temporal filtering, and video gamma enhancement for unprecedented video quality and integrated digital TV decode capability. support for component output for HDTV at 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

see it here

Has your name written on it.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Ya know, I had "hoped" that the new 8500DV would have my name all over it, BUT, issues with the current drivers, including a serious gamma/gray scale tracking have led me to sit on the sidelines with that one.

Of course, it wouldn't be the holidays if I didn't buy at least one video card upgrade, so today I received the GeForce3 Ti 200 that I ordered last week; hopefully I'll install it tomorrow. I'm expecting "Aqua Nox" to look really righteous with it, as well as IL-2 Sturmovick- a couple of my Christmas presents this year.

And nVidia has a new DVD decode engine in the NV17 and upcoming for their next generation stuff- who knows, maybe there will be more nVidia hardware in my future (as if I haven't owned several of their boards, including the original 1st generation tile based stinker they brought out eons ago!

Happy New Year!

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Patrick Sun
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

I bought a cheapo $50 16x/48x DVD ROM drive at CompUSA's Sunday-Tuesday sale and I couldn't believe the amount of noise this sucker makes when it initially spins up a DVD or CD. I thought my PC was able to fly away due to all the spinning up noise. I'm seriously thinking about returning it due to the spin up noise, but are all of these new fangled 16x DVD ROM drives noisy?

I previously had an older Philips 5x/32x DVD ROM drive (gave it to my dad in his X-Mas PC gift) and I am missing its quietness more and more. Sometimes newer or more is not better.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
          PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Noise is an issue depending on the operating mode.

Full tilt high speed reads are pretty noisy on some of the less expensive drives; their mechanisms aren't as well balanced. Even the Pioneer 16X drive is a bit noisier, but in practice, I haven't had any objections, and playing DVD's it's quiet. The Sony was OK, though again, when it spins up fully, it makes some noise, though maybe only 1/4 to 1/2 as the "noisy" brands. But I know what you mean about about liking the noise levels of the older drives.

-Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"