X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

Aragon Stage One in the house!

My new Aragon Stage One came yesterday I got the black version (actually very dark grey) because the silver was back ordered 2-4+ more weeks and all my other gear is black. The blue lights look very cool. Compared to the Aragon Soundstage, the Stage One has more features such as component video switching, 7.1 modes (such as THX Ultra2, dts-es discerete and matrix, dd-ex, dts-neo, and dpl2--5.1 only). Set up is more complicated, probably because of these extra features and THX setups, as well as the Pronto Neo remote.

Having just listened for one day, I would say the sound for DVDs is pretty close to the Soundstage....lots of resolution/detail but never harsh or bright. Bass actually might be a little stronger, believe it or not. I have not listened to 2 channel music yet. For my 7.1 speaker setup, DTS-Neo is good for DSS.

If I had a 5.1 setup, I would easily just keep the Soundstage as IMO it's a better value than paying $1200-1500 more for the Stage One, or $980 to upgrade the Soundstage to 7.1 with component video.

More to come later.....
  • Rich B
    • Jun 2002

Congrats!

Sounds like it has lots of great features, but does it have a phantom center mode?

:P

Just kidding, of course.

Can't wait to hear it.

Rich B.

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Very cool, Ricky.
      I give it 6 months in your "collection"

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• JohnT
        • Jan 2003

Nah, I will go out on a branch and say Ricky keeps this pre-pro for two years ! thats right two years, as the only unit that may beat it ( within reason monitarily) would be an mc-8 ?..

Keep us posted on your findings and comparisions to the soundstage particularly

Comment

• Ricky
          • Aug 2000

I'm better now that I was a few years ago! The MC1 lasted about 14 months, and the Onkyo 989 about 8 months before that. The decision the past month has been between an upgraded Aragon Soundstage and a new Stage One. I went with the Stage One because it has THX Ultra2 processing, I got a pretty good deal, and I don't have to wait long. I think the Stage One will rule my HT for at least as long as the MC1 did I'd have to pony up serious big bucks, $4500+, to get the next step up....Meridan 568v2, MC8, Theta CasablancaII.

More impressions. Initial mixed feelings on Ultra2 and THX. On Gladiator, the 7.1 Ultra2 sounds as good as the discrete 6.1 dts track. Not sure yet how much improvement Ultra2 imparts on standard 5.1 tracks in the rear soundstage. I think an improvement is there, but more hit or miss, and not as evident as 5.1 Logic7....Lexicon still rules the game for the rear soundfield. THX processing, even with Re-Equalization turned off, seems to alter the sonics a little. Maybe warm it up or tame it a little. Not sure if this is a good thing yet, as I loved the pure sonics, slam, detail produced by the Aragon Soundstage.

DPL2 music/panaroma, limited to 5.1, might sound better than DTS-Neo in 7.1 (6.1 with dual mono rear centers).

The Pronto Neo remote is easy to use, has good menus...but my wife and I will continue to use our trustworthing, non touch screen, Marantz RC2000II for everyday use.

Comment

• Ricky
            • Aug 2000

Some music comparisons. In 2 channel, the Stage One has perhaps a little more detail and warmth than the Soundstage. A couple of days ago, I originally thought the Stage One was closer to my Rogue. I was wrong. The Rogue produces a much wider, deeper soundstage with seemingly bigger sound. In fact, I think the Soundstage probably had better soundstaging capabilities. The adjustable DPL2-Music mode adds more spaciousness to 2 channel, albeit with a slightly different sound. But the 5 speakers still cannot match the Rogue's soundstage. I had to turn off the prepro to make myself believe that no subs or other speakers are on

A couple of buddies are coming over next week to hang out. Hopefully, they bring a copy of CD tracks that they have memorized...then we can do the same sequence: aragon 2 channel, aragon DPL2, rogue 2 channel. All leveled matched to the exact volume on the first note of the song (I usually use 80dB).

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Glad to hear you're happy with your new Aragon, Ricky. It's on a short list of units I'll be considering when I finally get around to setting up for movie surround again.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Yes, congrats on the new gear Ricky! Sounds like you are having a blast with it.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ricky
                  • Aug 2000

John,

Thanks, always nice to play with new toys

Jon,

What are you doing for DVD playback now? 2 channel? Since you have several classic Aragon amps, you might want to consider a used Aragon Soundstage too. Would match cosmetically with your amps, and has balanced outs. You'd have until June 30 for the upgrade to 7.1 (if you need it).

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Yes, a used Soundstage would make sense, if I can find a good deal when I'm ready to move on that. I've got so much stuff going on with two channel right now (three speaker projects, an evolving DAC design, and an Aragon mod) that I just really haven't thought about surround seriously in a while- most of my DVD watching at home right now is done in my bedroom on my NEC presentation monitor- the living room is reserved for two channel audio only at this time. I have a screen, but no FPTV- (used to have 4.1 also) that's another thing on hold since my 400Q went to ThomasW! The new speakers for my daughter, if they work out the way I hope, will become my "template" for compact surrounds (about 22 liter per enclosure, 7" two way SB strong to mid 30's, so some flexibility on crossover points. 60 Hz a piece of cake...)

A guys just gotta set his priorities... I'm just working down the list! :W

~Jon

Earth First!
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"