X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cincy Dad
    • Feb 2003

Advice on proposed system needed

After some research; visiting stores, reading mags, reviewing comments in forums, my proposed system is:
    Marantz VP-12S2 - video projector
    Stewart Firehawk - 16 X 9 screen
    Anthem AVM20 - pre/pro
    Anthem PVA7 - amp
    Paradigm Studio 100 - left and right speakers
    Paradigm Studio/CC - center channel
    Paradigm Studio/ADP - side surrounds
    Paradigm Studio 20 - rear surrounds
    Paradigm Servo-15 - subwoofer
    Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai - DVD player
    My theatre room is 12 ft by 24 ft by 8.5 ft. It is totally enclosed with no windows. I may need to cut $1000 - $1500 off this system. Where would you make the cuts?
    I would appreciate any comments.
  • Kevin_McC
    • Jan 2003

Cincy,

It looks like you've planned a great system. You mention trimming $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 off the system. Are all of these from a dealer or are you using internet pricing? Do you have a preference in using one or the other?

The first place I would look at for cost reductions if it were me would be the sub. The last time I looked at Paradigm subs they were pretty expensive. Have you compared their performance and pricing against say SVS or HSU subs?

Comment

• JohnT
      • Jan 2003

Good advice from Kevin, you could get an svs for about half the price and 100% of the performance. I would also add that even if your paranoid about buying used equipment , that a used amp is a safe bet as they dont break down near as often as other components.

Comment

• Cincy Dad
        • Feb 2003

Thanks for the feedback.

The prices I am working with are from a dealer. They are giving me 15% off list. The Paradigm sub (Servo-15) lists for $1500. I would consider buying from an Internet dealer and I have called two but they have not returned my calls (AbsoluteAudioVideo.com and ElegantAudioVideo.com).

As far as switching to svs and/or a used amp, both look like reasonable alternatives based on your input. When I do the final $ rollup, if I cannot make the numbers work, I will definitely check those out.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
          • Feb 2003

Cincy,

Do you plan on playing a lot of 2 channel stereo in your new system? Or are you primarily interested in HT and multi-channel music? If it is the latter, I would consider getting smaller speakers for the mains (substitute for the Studio 100s).

With a very good subwoofer (either the Servo-15 or one of the SVS or HSU subs), you would be better off in most cases routing all low bass to that subwoofer. With that in mind, you could get a set of smaller mains (Studio 40s?) and save on the cost.

There is also the issue of whether the PVA-7 is sufficient to drive the Studio 100s. If you were considering the MCA series of Anthem amps, then I wouldn't be as concerned.

I understand the appeal of large main speakers. I own floorstanders for the main and side speakers (Canton Ergo 92DCs), but I am also using Marantz MA-700 monoblocks to drive them. But I was also interested in 2 channel stereo, so large mains were purchased (not to mention that my wife preferred floorstanders).

Michael

Comment

• Cincy Dad
            • Feb 2003

We will use the system primarily for movies, probably 80/20 split. I demo'd the Paradigm Studio 100s versus the Studio 60s, not with a movie but a Jazz CD. The sound from the 100s were much better than the 60s. But as you suggest, with a good sub and using all the speakers, I may not notice as much of a difference.

I just set up an appointment to listen to the equipment under that scenario for Tuesday.

Thanks.

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
              • Feb 2003

Cincy,

I should have probably posted this in Club Anthem, but since you are about to purchase the AVM-20 I thought I would provide a point of clarifiction that may affect your speaker purchasing decision (and maybe even the decision to purchase the AVM-20 in the first place). I apologize ahead of time if you are already aware of what I am about to post.

The AVM-20 v2.x is advertised as having separate crossovers by speaker. People figure they can get large mains and small speakers for the rest and use the separate crossovers to take advantage of the differences in speakers. For instance, using a 50Hz crossover for the Studio 100s and an 80Hz to 100Hz crossover for the center and surround speakers.

The problem is the AVM-20 does not work that way. The individual crossovers do apply to the speaker group (main,center,surround,rear) in question, but they do not route bass BELOW those crossovers to the subwoofer. What happens is that all speakers defined as "small" have their full-range signal sent to the subwoofer channel. These full-range signals are summed, along with any present LFE (.1) channel, and then routed through the subwoofer crossover within the AVM-20.

Unless you select nearly the same crossover for all speakers, including the subwoofer, you will either lose bass or have bass overlap. In addition, if you decide to select a low crossover for all speakers (say 60Hz), this will have the potential for lopping off some of the LFE channel.

There is a possibility that Anthem may change the software in the next month or so to allow for that last situation I mentioned, but I do not believe that the AVM-20 will ever allow for the low-pass summing of bass (bass below each speaker's crossover) to the subwoofer.

If you have any specific questions about this, you may want to post them in Club Anthem.

Michael

Comment

• awtryau89
                • Dec 2002

I can save you some money. I have been pushing my Aragon Soundstage on everyone else so I might as well here to. I have a nearly new Soundstage that I am trying to sell for $1400. The unit was $4000 when new and although it does not have the latest and greatest 7.1 formats it can be upgraded to Aragon Stage One level for $800. You would have $2200 in the unit and it would be sonically superior to the Anthem. It has global crossovers but allows you to set different crossovers for stereo and multichannel. Anyway if you are interested please contact me.

Eric Awtry
                War Eagle
                Eric Awtry
                War Eagle

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                  • Jan 2003

Cincy,

Did you calculate into your budget all the cables you'll need to connect everything. This could add hundreds more to your bottom line.

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

I used to have Paradigm Studio 100s several years ago, they are a good speaker (although you would do better with Vandersteen 2ce, Absolute Sounds best speaker in its price range).
                    As was pointed out already, you will need money for cables. Saving $1000-$1500 on this system is easy. Buy your speakers and amp used from Audiogon. With a little persistance you will probably find someone selling these items in your area so that you can see them before buying.

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Hello all. First off, we can't always second guess what decision is right for a person. Each of us are somewhat different in that regard, ie.. comfort level buying used, over the net, from different dealers.

I will say there can be advantages to using a local dealer, though I think for a complete system, he should be able to do a little better than 15% off. I mean, if you get home, and something is DOA, you simply run back to the store and say, hey, you sold me a piece of junk here, I need another one. Of course, dealers will take care of you, as he doesn't want the whole ball of wax coming back.

There are lots of decisions possible. Myself, I might point you to Sonus faber concerto mains, Concertino rears, solo center. I don't know the price range, but used, Sonus faber, become quite a great value. I've seen all those speakers used the last week.

There are literally hundreds of amps for sale, and speakers too at Audiogon, and of course, Ebay. But then you are back to comfort level buying used.

You may also wish to consider a used MC-1. Great theater controller, and beginning to be a real bargain in 2K range.

Cables? Well I have some suggestions there. Email me if you want. :LOL:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Cincy Dad
                        • Feb 2003

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice.

I have already prewired my theater room with speaker wire. I do not know what kind but I took a local store salesman's suggestion. I did not prewire the video as it was pretty expensive and at the time, I was not sure as to the type of display, i.e., front projector from the ceiling or rear projector TV in the front of the room. I had hoped that all the rest of the wiring would be no more than $1000.

I am a little uneasy buying used equipment, particularly from individuals, i.e., Audiogon or eBay. I did check out Audiogon and as several have mentioned, there is a wide variety of equipment available. I guess my preferences would be: 1. new equipment from a local dealer, 2. new equipment from a "good" internet company, and 3. used equipment.

I do need to reduce the $ a little so my plan now is to demo some more equipment to see if I would be happy, specifically with less expensive mains and subs according to several people's suggestions. If I am not happy with the sound, then I will look into used equipment, most likely for the amp and speakers. The technology in the video projector and pre/proc seems to be changing rapidly so I think I want the latest technology equipment in those areas.

I appreciate people's time in responding to my request for advice. I have learned a lot (but still have a ways to go).

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"