'Plug and Play' with Rotel and Paradigm?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D1 Meyer
    • Sep 2004

'Plug and Play' with Rotel and Paradigm?

I'm new to the forum and will soon be acquiring a new stereo system. Based on the reading I've done, and the friends I've talked to, I expect to base the system on a Rotel pre-amp (RC-1070 or RC-1090), a Rotel amp (RB-1070 or RB-1080), and Paradigm Reference Studio 20 speakers. Unfortunatley, we live about 5 or 6 hours driving time from the closest dealer that sells both Rotel and Paradigm. I'm wondering if I can expect such a Rotel/Paradigm stereo system to be "Plug and Play' out of their boxes. I'm familiar with the basics of connecting stereo equipment but I'm not savy enough to troubleshoot problems with a new system. Any suggestions on how I should go about setting up our new stereo system?
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

My Paradigm/Rotel combo was simple to hook-up and problem free.[knock on wood].
    I don't know what you are expecting...just keep positive to positive,negative to negative,in to out,out to in ect...I use the 40's with the 1075 amp which is similar in power to the 1070.I would be careful with the 1080 and using the 20's.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yup pretty straight forward. They'll probably require some break in time to sound their best. Other than that, experiment with toe in and position etc to get the best results.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• D1 Meyer
        • Sep 2004

Thanks Herman and Jason for the useful advice. Sounds like I should be able to put the system togther by myself. Herman I appreciate your caution about using a Rotel RB-1080 amp with the Paradigm Studio 20 speakers. I thought the 1080 might be a bit much for these speakers. Actually, I'm guess I'm a little confused about matching amps with speakers since everything I read about amplifiers leads me to believe that you can't have too much power? Any guidance?

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

You really can't have too much power. You're far more likely to damage your speakers by underpowering them. That said the 1070 would likely be more than adequate for the 20's, the 1080 would give you all the headroom you'll ever need and if you ever decide to upgrade the 20's to something bigger/more power hungry you'd already be set amp-wise. Just because you have more power in reserve doesn't mean your going to play them louder or so loud you'll damage the speaker. To be honest even the 1070 probably has enough juice to blow the 20's if you cranked it right to the max so it's more a matter of headroom and future-proofing IMO.

IMO if you have the budget, get the 1080 for the headroom and future-proofing. If the budget's already stressed, go for the 1070.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The issue would be that it will come down to a question of which is the better buy...a 1080 and studio 20's or the 1070 and studio 40's as the prices might be similar. Between the two I'd got for the 1070 and the 40's as the 40's are quite a bit better then the 20's

Comment

• H.Donald
              • Aug 2004

Question...if you are using the 20s how much difference would there be between the two amps?Some yes, but not a great deal...as opposed to the two speakers which would be a dramatic difference between the two...
              The 40s have worked well for me in my H.T. setup and for music...don't tell anyone but I like to listen to music using 5.1 surround but for stereo music they are also good.
              I have sat people in my "sweetspot"and they were suprised when I tell them that the center channel was not on.[i think that's called imaging]Which ever way you chose you can't go wrong..welcome to the club

Comment

• D1 Meyer
                • Sep 2004

I'd like to be able to consider the Studio 40's, but unfortunately they are too big for the bookcase in our living room that we plan on using for our new stereo system. The Paradigm Signature S2 speakers would fit into our bookcase, but I'm not sure our budget can handle them. I hope to listen to both the Paradigm Studio 20s and the Signature S2 speakers this weekend in Phoenix AZ. My guess is that I will be able to hear a bigger difference between these two speaker than the two amplifiers. Maybe a good trade-off would be the Paradigm S2s and the Rotel 1070 amp. Thanks for the feedback! This is really a great service for audio buffs!

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I wouldn't put them in a bookshelf if at all avoidable. It will wreak havoc on the speakers bass output especially but also imaging etc.

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

As Jason says placing the speakers inside a bookshelf is among the worst places you can put speakers as it will kill the imaging and soundstage. speakers need room to breath...esp. if they are rear ported (not sure if the 20's are?)

Comment

• Scherr
                      • Dec 2003

The 20's are rear ported.

My back center surrounds are on top of a bookshelf which does not seem to pose a problem. Of course, it is on the top of the shelf so it is open behind it, on the sides, and above it. I would suggest trying it on top of the bookshelf rather than inside it if there is no other alternative.

Scott

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                        • May 2003

V3's are front ported.
                        all of them.
                        One of the things i like about mine is i can put them that much closer to the wall if i need to.

cheers,
                        mikey.
                        "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                        -Dark Helmet

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"