Why choose Rotel,why not anything else??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Why choose Rotel,why not anything else??

lets talk about this.I figured this is the most popular club in here and I would like to know why.Maybe deeper then just that,lets talk about why Rotel.Why you choose it over whatever you compared it to.

I like Rotel myself and have my opnions of there company,all positive.I would like to hear about yours.The pic thead was great and still is.I love looking at all those beatiful systems.Nice work guys.

So lets hear your experience buying the right amp/receiver/pre to power your loved system....

Dan
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well sound quality, especially for the $ and especially compared to the "major brands".

I think it's also pretty darn good looking gear and solidly constructed.

Rotel's customer support and this club.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

bang for the buck...period.

Comment

• georose
        • Apr 2003

It's the sound quality.

Comment

• stantheman2
          • Apr 2004

See my post "RSX-1056 - A review" with followups, in Club Rotel, final date 5-26-04. That conveys my personal experience, and you will find several other positive thoughts by following the thread.

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Uhmm, I could tell you, but then I may have to :crush: you after :W

Suffice to say, bang for buck, reviews, friends recommendations, brand name recognition, looks... Oh and the sound, which I didn't hear until I got it home...

I didn't really listen to the systems in the audio rooms (this time around), as they were so different than mine it was sort of pointless. I just played with them hands on and made sure I liked operating them. So it was a leap of faith based on many calculated variables. : I really couldn't have gone wrong.

I'm happy so far and would do it again... wait I may have... :W

Dan, you pose a good question, what is it about Rotel..? I find it's a special club here, much like an Airstream Trailer convention, or a specific car club. Everyone takes a lot of pride in their Rotels, it's like owning a club tie and belonging to a very special group.

I think Affordability, plays a big part in this. Rotels, have always been regarded as high power, great sounding units, for slightly more than mid grade price... This has allowed many would be Audiophiles to own great gear with out the stratospheric prices. It would seem that most typical Rotel owners are looking for the most performance per dollar. People that have coveted big exclusive names like Krell, Bryston, Lexicon..etc, but could only dream of them and what a rack of those components would set them back, get comparable performance for much less cost... That to me is very special indeed! :T :T (IMHO )

My name is Bing, and I am Rotellian! :rofl:
            Bing

Comment

• will1066
              • Aug 2003

Value. Looks. On the latter, the current stuff is so many leaps and bounds ahead of older Rotel gear, which looks.. well.. like mass-market Japanese gear. This might be asinine, but I like Rotel's labeling of Video 1 to Video 5 instead of other makes, which usually look like "CD SAT DVD TAPE DVD-A VCR" etc. I'll decide what's what, thank you.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Plus they are available in Silver or Black as standard rather than "Special Edition" :W
                Bing

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

Yeah. Does anyone make black-finish gear anymore?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I figured this is the most popular club in here and I would like to know why.
                    Well that part I can answer :W Basically what happened was when the 1066 pre amp came out it and the Outlaw 950 were the talk of the town. There were threads about it all over the place but the kept getting very long and it was difficult to keep track of the various conversations going on in them. It was at that point that I figured it would be nice to have a single place to talk about the Rotel 1066 and the amps etc....though mainly the 1066 at that point. So I convinced Lex to set up a Club Rotel here on the guide and we've grown from there. What really helpped us though was that I was able to establish a communication link between the membership here and senior staff at Rotel and together we worked to improve the 1066 and 1055 via firmware upgrades into some of the most popular units available at the time. Since then other Rotel items have been released and talk has shifted to more diverse topics about the various offerings from Rotel. Our idea's and concerns are still very important to Rotel and that fact has really helpped to make this site "the" place to come for Rotel info on the web:T

As for what got me into Rotel in the first place it was 1) sound quality and 2) build quality/name reconition. That was back with the 976 pre amp. I actually didn't keep that unit very long due to a bug with its handleing of DTS so I moved onto various other brands but none of them could live upto the Rotel I had once owned so when the 1066 was introduced I knew it was the one I wanted. From there I've had the 1055 receiver and now the 1098 and don't see myself straying from the flock again :B

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Plus due to all the efforts of Andrew, Lex, and the forum contributers here :B
                      Bing

Comment

• walt h
                        • Jun 2004

Thinking of Rotel - - why will I like it?

Seeking new amplification for my new speakers - -they are
                        Acoustic Energy AE1 MkIII small monitors. They are 87db sensitivity, 8ohm impedance. I use them in conjunction with an NHT SubOne subwoofer below 80 cycles.

My speakers lean to the detailed brighter side of things. But-I like a lot of detail - - not the smooth rolled-off sound. Listen mostly at low to moderate levels. Do not listen to rock. Mostly small ensemble acoustic jazz and classical. Not much listening to large orchestral works.
                        Have thought about the RA-1062/RCD-1072 combination. or possibly the RA-1070. The speaker manufacturer recommends 50-150W. At present, they are driven by HK AVR225 in stereo-only mode. Do not need surround amplification. I bought the HK when i had NHT SuperZero speakers. I also wanted the 24/192 onboard DAC's on the HK.

Using Nordost Flatline Gold for speaker cables. Listening room is 14' X 18' with a 9' ceiling. Its a well-damped carpeted room.

I am worried that NAD 320BEE or NAD372 is too warm and rolled-off. I want lots and lots of detail yet not harsh.

I see so many conflicting descriptions of the "Rotel sound". But you guys really know it well.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. I can budget more than Rotel by a little, but don't want to throw money away for little or no gain.

Comment

• JoeHard
                          • Jan 2004

When it came time to upgrade my pre-pro I narrowed my choices to the B@K Ref 50 and the RSP1066. I already owned a B@K 5 channel amp, and am a B@K fan. However I ended up buying the Rotel, at the time they were getting ready to introduce the 1068, and I got the 1066 for $800 less than the B@K. I have been pleased with my choice and would still choose th e 1066 over the REF 50 or the 1098 for the price. The only nit picks I have with Rotel are the crummy universal remote, and the fact I feel their promise of future proof processors is misleading, at best.

Comment

• Drew_W
                            • Dec 2003

Do you not have a local dealer that will let you take a demo home overnight and prove to YOURSELF that it's worth it?

Comment

• Bob Knarly
                              • Mar 2004

The reason I bought the Rotel was I had been through most all 1-2k avrs(my den looked like a warehouse) and when I auditioned the Rotels I was surprised by the musicality for an avr.Its also easy to set up,good build and even looks good.

Comment

• Adrian Smith
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by walt h
                                Seeking new amplification for my new speakers - -they are
                                Acoustic Energy AE1 MkIII small monitors.
                                walt h, it's good to see another AE owner, I have the AE120/Aegis 1/Aegis centre with a Yamaha YST-SW800 sub. Not at the level of your AE1's but they sound nice.
                                Reading through a lot of forums AE don't seem to have much of a presence in US/Can.

Comment

• walt h
                                  • Jun 2004

Acoustic Energy in the US

I think you are right on that. AE's are not a significant player here. However, they have been sold here for quite a few years and have an apparently loyal following. I went in not planning to spend that much on speakers-but bought them on impulse because I had NEVER heard anything that good! Actually, my wife heard the same thing and insisted we get them! Boy-that's a switch! The most single outstanding feature of the AE1's so far is their terrific off-axis performance. Even sitting or standing way off center, you can still hear the placement of the musicians on the soundstage. I have never had that experience before.

I hope you are enjoying your AE's also. 'spose there is always something better, but I won't be getting them anytime soon!

Comment

• Bam!
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2004

As for me....

I just wanted to be a part of Club Rotel!

:lol:

:rofl:

kidding ofcourse.......NOT!
                                    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Tha Freak
                                      • Jul 2003

BAM! you're such a liar...

you DID get it to be in the Club didn't you ?? :lol:

Me, well past experinece with the sound, built quality, and load of thet little things!...and of course to be a membre of the Club!
                                      - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Azeke
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2003

For me it was definitely Bang for the Buck, sound quality, firmware upgrades, and Club Rotel.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2003

When I decided to go separates I narrowed my short list down to Outlaw, BK and Rotel. It didn't take too long to eliminate Outlaw. I then spent some time here at Club Rotel learning more about the different models. I also canvassed the Klipsch forum and was give some very good advice. Finally, the scales tipped in Rotel's favor when I visited a Rotel dealer and got to listen to the RSP1066 and RMB1075. This almost didn't happen because the first time I went into this dealership I was greeted by the owner, a man in my opinion who is as snobbish an a.sh..e as exists. Definitly not a shining example of Rotel's finest. Fortunatly, I went back a second time and met a young salesman who is an audiophile himself, and we hit it off.
                                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• pbarata
                                            • Feb 2003

Before Rotel I had a HT system based on an Onkyo TX-DS595. My speakers are from Monitor Audio Silver model and Onkyo was not able to drive them, also stereo performance was really poor as compared with my stereo dedicated amplifier.

I decided them to upgrade my system for a separates, so that I could have both stereo and multi-channel together, but always with the guarantee that if I need I could dedicate an external 2 channel amplifier only for music listening.

So my quest began and natural brands to look at where NAD, Arcam, Krell and TAG McLaren. After I while it was obvious that Krell, TAG McLaren and Arcam are stunning but Rotel has the highest quality/price ratio. The search was over, the Rotel RSP-1066/ RMB-1075 combo, delivers very good sound for both cinema and music. Order was already in the distributor (I wait a few months for my system) when What Hi-Fi magazine gave a Supertest winner for RSP1066/RMB1075 combo. That only reinforced my decision.

The Rotel‘s Balanced Design Concept really pays off as it delivers high quality products, with an audiophile grade for an unbeatable price. Finally, my though goes to the investment necessary to really take advantage from these more expensive systems. When someone buys a Krell or a TAG McLaren, to really take the benefit from the little extra resolution offered by such system, you have to spend also a lot more on cabling, speakers and signal sources, otherwise you will miss something. In the end, achieving balance for both quality and price based in Rotel, will allow you to spend the extra money in movies and music and that’s what really matters!
                                            Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                                            Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• dali
                                              • Jul 2002

Clean design, excellent performance and a reasonable price. "Bang for the buck" as they say. I've had a Rotel 2ch amp for over a decade, when the home theatre interest awoke I went with what I knew and bought a RSP1066 with a RMB1066. Can't say I regret it ... :T

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"