X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John LaCava
    • Sep 2002

DVD color fluctuation

Hi all, maybe some of you have ready the odd post or two from me in Club Rotel (guilty as charged 1066 owner). I must admit I don't check in altogether too much except to keep track of firmware upgrade and a tad bit of HT gossip now and again. But this time I'm having a problem of major urgency concerning my DVD setup. Here goes:

First I'll explain my video setup. I use a 22" NEC Multisync Monitor (FP1375x) for viewing. You guessed it I also use this for my computer which is in my living room. This monitor has dual inputs so I use one for my HT and the other for PC, I can't toggle both b/c that confused the monitor (perhaps because I use a digital output from my computer), but as long as only one source is active I can view one or the other. Ok. So to get video into my monitor I currently use a little box called the XGA theater that will take an S-video signal and pass it thought to VGA at 1024 X 768 resolution.

My first DVD player on this setup was the Technics DVD-A10. A fine machine in all respects, save for the occasional layer change artifact. Colors were always true, if perhaps slightly dry, and image was always sharp. All and all it looked as excellent on this monitor as anything I've seen in the hi end shops.

Here is where the trouble begins. I had to send this player off for repair and decided to buy another in the mean time. I first got the Denon 2800 mkII. I noticed right away a wierd problem where the colors on the DVD were fluctuating from time to time with regard to brightness and saturation. A scene would start with one balance and then get darker and more saturated. I didn't generally notice it getting lighter again though. The next scene might start at the proper balance and then again I'd notice a change. It was quite obvious. DVDs I tested were Amelie R2 (it was pretty bad on this one) and Crouching Tiger Hidden Draggon R2 (much less obvious but still noticed once or twice). Also the color change was reproducible on the scenes I tested it against in Amelie, so it would do it in the same scenes everytime I played them.

I immediately denounced this player as crap or broken and returned it. I spent a couple ;-) more bucks and got the Arcam DV88+ which is widely acclaimed as a reference player, top notch quality at any price, best of the best. I played Amelie R2 and didn't have nearly the problems as with the Denon (for the record the Arcam shits all over the Denon for picture quality), however, I did notice a very subtle effect in a scene but was unable to reproduce consistently. I thought I was in the clear when I watched Snatch R2, and Silence of the Lambs R2, without a hitch. But then I watched Mulholland Drive R1 and there was the problem with the color, probably worse than it was on Amelie. I watched a few more movies, some had the problem (Pulp Fiction [a little], Something About Mary [moderate] both R2), some not at all (Training Day, Born Romantic both R2).

Can anyone tell me what is the problem here?! I never noticed this with the Technics DVD-A10 and the Arcam DV88+ should be as good a player as that, if not better. I also never have this problem with the DVDs when played back on my computer. I don't think it could be the XGA theater because I'd have this problem on every movie equally, so it must be the DVD player I guess. I just don't know. Both the Denon and the Arcam can't be defective! The guy at the store I ordered from says he has sold many of both of these player to very high praise from customers. He said that I'm choking the preformance of the unit by using S-video (fair enough) and that I should switch to component for better results. I don't think this makes a difference though. S video should be good enough, and there should not be such color fluctuation in any DVDs produced to high quality, such as many I have watched.

I have only had this player for 2 days now though, does it need "burning in" or something before it preforms consitently well on all DVDs? I'm at the end of my rope as I have spent a considerable amount of money on this player for quality, but I'm not satisfied. I can always return within a week but then I don't have a player and since both had the same problem I think maybe any player will be the same. Do you think it is the S video? I am in the process of obtaining a video sclar that does component video at even higher resolution than my current setup (AVT-3700) but I will be very sad if I buy this rather expensive component only to get the same result.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
    John
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi John,

I don't have any idea on this yet, but I do have a couple of questions:

1) Can you disconnect the monitor from everything extraneous and try a direct-to-DVD display (no extras in the signal path)?

2) Have you gotten the Technics player back, and if so, how does the picture it's outputting look now?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

That's an interesting problem...not really sure where to begin other then to try and isolate the problem somehow.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

It sounds suspiciously like copy-protection on the dvd. Tex's suggestion of hooking the dvd up directly( with nothing in the signal path) is one way of finding out if this is a copy-protection thing. If you ever tried to connect a dvd player to a vcr and then run the signal through to the tv you will get this aberration of colour due to copy protection on the disc.

Since most, but not all discs contain copy-protection, that may explain why John didn't have trouble with some movies.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I'll chime in with George and the others. It really sounds like the influence of the macrovision output.

Let me chime in with another less mainstream suggestion... since you're using a 22" NEC monitor, why not use a computer DVD source? I got into computers for DVD back when they were the only progressive scan DVD solution. Now, of course, you've got stb players with progressive scan- but not with the scaling to take advantage of your monitor.

For more on the virtues of scaling, see this thread:

My bedroom video system is a dedicated PC for DVD with an NEC 29" presentation monitor, running at 1280X720 or 1280X1024.

It's a small amount of effort to get one going smoothly; there are a variety of software players and video boards; lately I've switched to the NVIDIA NVDVD 2.2 player with GF4 MX440 (NV17 chipset designed with extensive hardware decoding support). Don't need a high power PC; I've built good DVD players with 450 MHz Celerons! Radeon video cards with Cineplayer or TheaterTek is also a good combo.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• John LaCava
            • Sep 2002

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. First off, I haven't gotten the technics back (and may not, don't do business with www.techtronics.com, I will happily elaborate for interested parties). So I cannot do a side by side comparison. I have watched a few movies recently, including The Ussual Suspects, Amores Perros and Kalifornia (all R2)without any problems.

I cannot plug direct to monitor without the video scaler. So the XGA theater cannot be removed from the path.

The suggestions by George and Jon make a lot of sense because my Technics had macrovision disabled, so I would never have seen such an problems. This Arcam DV88+ does have macro so that is a very promising suggestion as to the cause of the problem. I had never previously seen what Macrovision actually does so I didn't realise that might be the cause, I thought it caused more severe interference.

I have use my computer for DVD sure, although the picture looks great, and no layer change pauses, though it does have the occasional hiccup on the odd disc (I use a GF4 4400, with a version of WinDVD that came with the card). The reason I don't use my computer is because it is very very loud and annoys the hell out of me when I'm trying to watch movies or listen to music. I do not want to build an additional dedicated computer just for DVD either. So I don't really see this as an option.

With regards to the macrovision, is there no way to use a video scaler in conjunction with a DVD player without suffering this side effect? What if I use the component out puts with a Scaler?

Although I'm not totally sold on the macrovision theory yet. I didn't see the same problems in Amelie with the Arcam as I didn't with the Denon. Surely if the cause was Macro it'd be consistent player to player?

I will retry some problem discs for the hell of it and see if they still have the same problem.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated gentlemen.

John

Comment

• John LaCava
              • Sep 2002

Yeah still have more or less the same problem with color/brightness in Mulholland Drive R1.

Any ideas about using DVD players with video scalers when they have macrovision? Is this ussual? Is there a work around? I'm not aware of a way to disable Macro on the DV88+

J

Comment

• John LaCava
                • Sep 2002

I posted a way to remove Macro from the DV88+ on a new thread, but I think it only works for the component and RGB output.

Check the post and add anything if you know otherwise or more tricks.

J

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"