X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomydingo
    • Jan 2003

Which cables

this is what the back of my TV looks like:

also, i have a PS2 as my DVD player, so I need cables that will plug into the PS2. I was looking at the Monster Cables and I don't know which ones I need or which are the better quality.
    here
    and here

i was guessing the more expensive are the better ones, but are they the ones that will work with my TV and PS2?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Tomy,

The first set (PGL400CVAA10) will work very well whether you plan on using your TV speakers for sound output or your receiver. Just plug the 5 RCA-type connectors in to your 5 jacks in the "DVD in" group on your TV to use it's internal speakers, or you can run the two audio (L/R) plugs into your receiver to output the sound through your HT/music system.

The second set (PGL450CVDV) will work better if you plan on using your receiver as your sound output system (and if it has a Toslink-type input). The 3 RCA-type plugs will still plug into the 3 jacks on the right side of the "DVD in" group, but the 4th one is a Toslink (optical) connector. It'll plug into your receiver so that the sound will come out of your HT/music speaker system. The reason I say this'll work better is due to the fact that an optical connection is superior (better sound quality) to 2 RCA-type jacks you'd be using with the first cable.

Does this make sense?

Also, check with Lex and see if CATCables has comparable cables - you might be surprised.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• tomydingo
      • Jan 2003

Thanks David! Looks like I'll be buying the first one because I'm going to be using my TV as my audio source. So, CATCables make just as good quality as Monster ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

CATCables make just as good quality as Monster ?
        No they make better quality cables Monster isn't that bad really but you're paying a lot of markup on them...plus you're paying for their marketing and packaging etc. You are also limited to buying the lenghts they sell even though you may only need a 4 foot run you have to buy the 6 foot cable so now you have two extra feet to coil up which isn't good. The custom built cables tend to be high quality (hand made) and can be built to the lenghts you need which helps keep things neat and tidy and you're not paying for more cable then you need. As you might have noticed I'm very fond of my Catcables :LOL:

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Tomy, I edited my first post and put an active link to the CATCables website if you are interested. I like my CATS too.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• tomydingo
            • Jan 2003

the thing about the catcables is that they won't work with my PS2, you need a certain plug to plug them into the PS2:
            the thing all the way to the right is the part that plugs into the PS2

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Sounds like a challenge for Doug.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Well, the RCA cables aren't a challenge, it's that other funky plug that is. I'll be the first to admit that video gaming is not my primary market, though we do sell a nice S-video for the X-box, or any other that uses S-video.

Thanks for considering us though. Remember, for DVD, CD, anything audio, we can and do make people happier than the mass market boys nearly every day.

thanks,
                Doug
                Owner
                CATCables.com
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• tomydingo
                  • Jan 2003

the funky plug is the plug that you plug into the back of the PS2, i looked on the catcable site and i couldn't find anything that would work for the PS2. I would rather support someone that is more independant than give my money to Monster Cables.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Unfortunately, a large number of those plugs are proprietary. (Specific to that unit only). Monster is licensed to sell these cables with these connectors. Nobody else can likely buy them.

Again, gaming just isn't where company's like mine really shine. but when you need audio or video cables for your A/V system, then, I got you covered!

Thanks,
                    Doug

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"