X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

High End Cables Do Make A Difference

Friday I picked up a package from the post office. It was an order I had been waiting for from CatCables, containing my Thundercats digital cable.
    Most of my HT cables are a mix of Monster and Ultra Link, plus a custom made 27 foot set of component cables. My son, who is a tekkie in the commercial big display/broadcast industry had the component cables made for me. But within my system there was still one cheapie I had been meaning to replace. It was an inexpensive RG 59 coax cable running between my Sony 7700 dvd player and the Denon receiver as the digital coax connection. This I decided to replace with a good high quality cable. And after checking out the CatCables site, I decided to go with the Thundercats. And boy, am I glad I did.
    The first test was with a movie I had picked up the same day, The Tailor Of Panama. Now there is nothing spectacular about the sound on this movie, but I have never been happy with the dialogue from my Boston Acoustics center speaker so I wanted to see if the Thundercats would make a difference.And they definitely did. Dialogue had never been so well positioned or clear. The background music in Tailor of Panama is, as you'd expect, latin influenced, featuring an assortment of strings and percussion.Let me tell you, I thought someone with a bongo drum was at the front of the room, with a guitarist standing next to him. Later I tried out a few loud movies like U571.The low end on this title was scary even with the cheap cable, but bass now seemed to have a tighter feel to it, and for the first time, I could feel air moving my pantleg.My matched set of Boston Acoustics never sounde so good.
    Yesterday I tried out a few cds. I don't normally use the HT setup for music, but I wanted to see how the Thundercats handled music, and I wasn't disappointed.Everything is just more pronounced, from the highest highs to the lowest lows and everything in between.And clean. Man is it clea
    Last but not least, the Thundercats are a thing of beauty, and it seems a shame they have to be hidden behind my rack.Thanks,Doug. As promised, you made me a beaut.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

:b

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

another satisfied client welcome to the litter george

Comment

• Trevor Schell
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Nice Review George!,
        Which color did you get?
        Now you will have to rewatch all of your DVD's again.

Trevor
        My HomeTheater S.E.
        Sonically Enhanced
        C5
        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I got the red,blue and green babies,Trevor. Yeah, they're an excuse to revisit a lot of my dvd collection. Trouble is, I haven't caught up to my unviewed movies.Colder weather will keep me indoors soon, so I'll eventually get there. The great sound from these CatCables is something else.
          Regards,
          George

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

George with the nasty weather you guys are supposed to get soon you'll have lots of time to catch up...glad we don't get the rain you do

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Andrew,
              That storm missed Nova Scotia. We haven't had any rain in ages. My lawn looks like hay. Newfoundland is getting dumped on, with many homes dealing with flooded basements. I'd like to get a little rain, but not that much.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new cables!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Thanks,John. It's hard to describe how really good this new cable sounds. Last night I watched Vertical Limit (lousy movie,great pic and sound) and I swore the avalanche was in my HT.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"