what kind of speaker plug should I use? (kinda B&W related :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmt
    • Jan 2005

what kind of speaker plug should I use? (kinda B&W related :)

Hi,

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that I moved in with my girlfriend, until my house has become a reality (in a year or two).
    My 802s can fit in the bedroom, but there is no place to put the amplifier near the speakers, the only free place has a door in between the amp and the speakers! You may think: that's no problem, just attach the cables on the wall above the door. Wrong!! She will scream in horror when I would present that solution.

Another solution would be this: fit my speaker wires with a plug (they don't have a plug now), that way I can quickly connect and disconnect the wires from the amplifier whenever I want to listen to some music. No cables will lie on the floor, so no-one can trip over them when I'm not around.

Now the question: what type of plug should I use? Is a banana plug the only type of plug in existence? BTW my amp is a Classe CA-401, so banana plugs should fit. I can attach a plug myself to a speaker wire I suppose??
  • worldys
    • Dec 2005

depending on the cable you have, it may be more complicated than you think, if the current connectors are soldered on, you would have to desolder them and resolder banana plugs, they do sell crimp on banana plugs as well, but unless you have heat shrink of the right size, the job will look pretty amateurish and no one will want your cable when you want to upgrade

i would say just sell you cable on audiogon and buy some cable with bananas already on

s

Comment

• RNKC
      • Jun 2005

I concur - just buy cables with bananas on both ends. It's a temporary solution anyway - when you move to the house you'll set things up properly anyway. (You will do that right? )

Comment

• tmt
        • Jan 2005

Help! What is heat shrink? I thought all banana plugs used the "crimp system". ops:

Btw I forgot to mention this: the cables I use don't have a connetor. I've always connected the bare wire to the speaker and amp terminals. (Isn't that as good as using a plug?) The cables I use I bought some 5 years ago for my previous system. They are simple copper cables, but pretty thick. When I move in the new house I will upgrade my cables anyway, buy some of the right length. I won't sell these cables simply because they are too cheap

Comment

• worldys
          • Dec 2005

if you have 802s and a classe 401, it is a shame that you are using such cheap cables, buy a pair of used cables with banana plugs on one of these audio sites, you won't regret it

s

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"