X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

The Widescreen RPTV dilemma....

Hey guys, I've been tossing around the idea of jumping off into the widescreen RPTV market. Problem is, there just seems to be too many with so many different features. I said I was going to wait but I think I've talk myself into it.

One thing for sure, I'd like to have a 65 inch model. After that, I just don't know what to look for.

I'm thinking Sony, Toshiba, and Mitshubushi, but again, I'm confused (as normal).

Can I get some help as to the more important things to look for?

I feel like I'm jumping in way over my head here. :roll:

Thanks!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sonnie,

The one thing that I'd STRONGLY recommend that any set you purchase have as a minimum is:

DVI (Digital Video Interface) inputs. These will allow you to connect a digital HD tuner to your set and receive full-bandwidth HD signals once the protection wars on the HD signals are over. Example: my Pioneer 610 Pro Elite (58" 16:9) has only analog HD inputs. Unless I get VERY lucky with the outcome of the protection war, all I'll eventually get through these non-digital inputs are down-res'd near-HD images.

I know this doesn't help you very much in narrowing which brand, but it is a big issue that you shouldn't overlook.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

So what are some of the reasons you want to go for a widescreen right now instead of waiting? HDTV? DVD? Both?

I think David's got a really good point. I also recall an older post about something to do with the digital connection not being finalized. That would piss me off if I got a widescreen set now that I couldn't use 5 years later.

I haven't been looking at widescreen sets for a while, but have recently noticed a lot more selection up in Canada. To me that means there should be 10 times the selection down in the US.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

I wouldn't worry too much about the digital connection issue right now if you plan on using the set to watch DVDs, or even HD at this point. There will be DVI-to-component boxes, trust me. If they make such things illegal or disabled via copy protection, they'll have the wrath of thousands (millions?) of early HDTV adopters to bear.

My favorite sets are Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Hitachi and Sony. They seem to have the best pictures overall (especially after tweaking). Mits offers Firewire on their HD sets, the others offer DVI. It's still up in the air which will ultimately win.

I guess what it all boils down to Sonnie, is what you plan on watching on it. If you're planning to watch mostly widescreen DVDs and HDTV on it, then a widescreen set is the way to go. If you're still watching mostly 4:3 material (e.g. cable/satellite TV), you may want to invest in a 4:3 set with an anamorphic squeeze feature (most sets have this nowadays).

Give us more info on how you plan on using the set and we can offer more suggestions.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
        My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'd also thow in the new Panasonics to that list Kevin since they're getting excellent reviews and are priced nicely

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

Okay, I did mean to include Hitachi in that list. Last night I was a little scatter brained after reading so much and looking at so many. It did appear that Hitachi has had some good reviews on their latest sets especially.

Currently I plan on using the set to watch DVD's and some HDTV. I can also receive HDTV through Dish Network. I don't now but it's an add on module for my satellite receiver that is very inexpensive.

I'm not fond of watching my DVD's with the bars on top and bottom, especially with 2.35:1. 1.85:1 isn't so bad. And their appears to be more and more HDTV becoming available. I see the notification when I start to watch some of my favorite shows. Some shows I watch are actually letterbox. Not many but a couple.

Obviously I'm swapping the bar location on 4:3 viewing to the sides, right? How does that effect your viewing. Seems like it wouldn't bother me as much, but I need to go look first.

I believe most of the sets I'm considering have the DVI input or Firewire (Mits). I think maybe the Toshiba set is the only one that doesn't, at least not the model I looked at. Also the Toshiba only has 1 set of component inputs. I'd really need two. One for DVD and one for Satellite.

My thinking is that they have become very affordable at $3K or less now (except for the really suped up ones). I figure I'll probably buy another one in 5-7 years, but wanted to get some enjoyment now if I can find a respectable set.

I do plan on visiting some stores once I narrow down my info search. However, I want to be somewhat educated.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I too have been searching the last few months for a WS tv. I just could not make a decision! There is so much to choose from. And I couldn't ignore the DVI/Firewire issues. I decided to just make do with my current 32" (4:3) for now. I can manually squeeze it so, no real hurry here.

However, those in your situation Sonnie that plan to upgrade in the next 5-7 yrs anyway, I say go for it. If I could afford to do that, it would have been much easier to make a choice.

From what I've noticed when shopping, all the mfg's have a set or two that have wonderful pictures. So to choose based on that would be very difficult. I think that reliability, customer svc, features and of course size, would really determine my choice.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

The only thing I can add is that if you go widescreen and mostly watch 4:3 with the black bands on each side, just be sure the set is calibrated correctly. High brightness and contrast settings will cause those black bars to burn in on your crts. Now if you go with an lcd or dlp RPTV, then the burn in thing is a non-issue.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

Thanks for the tips guys, Angibug and I plan on getting out and looking at several over the next few weekends. I'll update yall on what we observe.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Pat
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                    I'm not fond of watching my DVD's with the bars on top and bottom, especially with 2.35:1. 1.85:1 isn't so bad.
                    Sonnie, even with a widescreen tv there will still be bars on the top and bottom. They will be smaller but they will still be there.
                    16:9 = 1.7777:1
                    If you have it set up for minimal overscan you will still have narrow black bars even on 1:85:1 material.

Pat's Page
                    Pat's Page

Comment

• Robbie
                      • Aug 2000

I'll throw my .02 here with my experience. I have a Hitachi 43" WS and the picture is great. However there is one thing I can't stand about it. From the user manual there is only an automatic "MAGIC FOCUS" convergence adjustment. This isn't the only TV which does this as I noticed the Toshibas also listed this as a feature. I guess this is the wave of the future. However this thing stinks. It doesn't do nearly a decent job. (guess I need to find how to use the service menu). If I had to do over again I would take that into consideration and avoid automatic adjustments.

Just something to think about.

BTW love the WS. Although the bars are visable even the wife doesn't complain about em cause they're so much smaller than with the 4:3.

George: It's called the STRETCH MODE. eliminates the black bars and once yu get used to it it's not even noticeable.

Fun Shoping

Robbie

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Sonnie!,,

I am a big fan of Toshiba. To my eyes they produce the most colorful images that I have seen.

I beleive Mitshubishi is producing a 71" version..That makes me go :E

Trevor
                        My HomeTheater S.E.
                        Sonically Enhanced
                        C5
                        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                          • Jan 2002

71" 8O

Yes it does Trev!

Thanks again guys..... haven't even had a chance to go look at anything yet. Too much working going on. :roll:

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Okay, gotta throw in a post for Pioneer Elites here. The picture quality on these sets is superb, period. Once it's been tweaked, or (even better) ISF'd, it's georgeous. I've had the 610 (58" 16:9) for a year and a half and am still convinced I bought the right set. The ONLY drawback is that the x30 series is the DVI-capable one and it's not scheduled to be released for a few more days/weeks. Yeah, I know they are more expensive than the other "mainstream" brands, but IMO the PQ and secondarily, the Urushi finish on the cabinet make them worth it.

Lex, you with me good buddy?

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

Yeah David, the only reason I've not considered the Pioneer's is due to pricing. I figure if I'm gonna be replacing it in 5-7 years I may as well not spend over $3K..... of course unless I come into some excra mony, ya know!

BUT, BUT, BUT, now I've found another twist to possibly throw into the mix of decision processing.

It appears the FCC is requiring the TV Manufacturers to include DTV tuners in 50% of their sets that are 36" or larger by January 2004. Geese, that's only a year and a month away. Of course those sets would probably be the more expensive ones anyway. Then again, I haven't been researching the more expensive sets and they may already be in some of those now. :?

Kevin, I also read that it would be wise to make sure I purchase a set that includes either DVI or IEEE 1394 because there doesn't appear to be any chance for a legal adapter. An adapter would defeat the purpose of the copy protection. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Just more stuff to consider in purchasing during a conversion period. I don't know, maybe I should wait one more year.

Robbie, talking about the stretch feature, I viewed this on a set in a store several months back, probably close to a year ago. It seemed, well, stretched. I wasn't impressed by the warped (so to speak) look. Has this improved or is it as you say, just a "getting use to it" thing? Thanks!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Sonnie, yes the 36" and up sets are going to be the more expensive ones, but remember it's ALL sets 36" and above so you'll have quite a price range to work with. Plus, that's the deadline, which means the manufacturers' will have their models out on the shelf well before then (generally).

David - HTGuide flunky
                                Our "Theater"
                                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                  Former Moderator
                                  • Jan 2002

Sonnie, Hi,
                                  The Hitachi UWX & SWX series both with DVI inputs. Hitachi is the only company that builds and manufactors every part they need for their sets. They do not manufactor tube tvs any-more. The sets uses a five lens system versus the conventional three lens system with their pattend HD wide-neck lens that allows more light and better rendering of colours. The 51" UWX retails here for $4,499.99 cnd that's what...errr $500usd George?

The closest to the Mits 71" is the Hitachi 65" SWX. The good thing about that unit is the it can be separated (Top from the bottom) for shipping and ease of delivery.

At the moment, I am toying with a DLP whether or not to purchase it but for the most part after reading this thread today I am gonna wait a tad longer til all the legal babble has been worked out for my RPTV.

Now for the sake of all others with RPTVs without DVI inputs what's the solution gonna be?

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                                  CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

$500 USD ? Now don't get me going on that subject, Uncle Clive... :evil:

My Homepage!
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                      • Jan 2002

Hey, don't I wish it were only $500 USD..... 8O I'd own quite a few of them.

I have read up a lot on Hitachi lately and it appears they are highly recommended and many rank them as the best. I believe the Hitachi's are priced a tad higher than most I've looked in to but maybe they are worth it.

It appears the HDTV add-on module for my older Dish Network receiver is a little harder to come by now since it's so old and there is no add-on module for my PVR 508, which sux. I really want PVR with HDTV since we are using PVR as a lifestyle now. It is one of those things you wonder how you ever lived without it. Anyway, Dish is releasing a PVR 921 with HDTV in a few months. I can't wait.....but I suppose I'll have to.

Angibug and I are going to Montgomery tomorrow night and eating out at TGIFridays on TGIF. Afterwards we plan on hitting a store or maybe two if time permits (probably won't though) and looking at a few sets. I'll finally get to see some of the newer sets in action. I'm excited anyway.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Robbie
                                        • Aug 2000

Sonnie

Yea, the stretch mode does take a bit of getting used to but after 15 months of watching I barely notice it. In fact I like it better than watching with the bars on the side.

Have fun with your decision.

Robbie

Comment

• Kevin P
                                          • Aug 2000

Kevin, I also read that it would be wise to make sure I purchase a set that includes either DVI or IEEE 1394 because there doesn't appear to be any chance for a legal adapter. An adapter would defeat the purpose of the copy protection. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
                                          I think it's a bunch of bull. Why? First of all, the majority of HDTV-ready sets currently installed don't have DVI or IEEE 1394, they only have component video inputs. If they mandate digital encrypted signals only, they'll alienate much of their customer base (myself included). Second, analog component HD doesn't imply that illegal copying will be easy. Try to find a device that will record HDTV and accepts component HD video input. You won't find any. Lastly, no matter what they do with encryption, pirates will still pirate HD programming. All they're doing is restricting our fair use rights. Three strikes, you're out. If DVI or IEEE 1394 becomes standard, someone will come out with a converter, even if it's illegal.

Eventually the dust will settle. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my HDTV, even if I'm not watching HD on it. It looks great with a progressive scan DVD player too!

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                                          My HT Site

Comment

• David Meek
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

I'm enjoying my HDTV, even if I'm not watching HD on it. It looks great with a progressive scan DVD player too!
                                            That's me too, Kev.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                            Our "Theater"
                                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                              • Jan 2002

Robbie, I guess the stretch mode might be a little like when we first got our big screen. Going from 35" to 61" took some getting use to as well. It just seems like it would hard to get use to the stretch mode if you still watch some widescreen and some not widescreen. If you get use to stretch mode then when everything goes widescreen are you gonna have a problem gettng re-adjusted or does watching some widescreen mixed in with stretch mode keep you focused well enough?

Kevin, you make a good point. I can't see it happening after as many sets that have been sold without DVI or 1394. It doesn't make sense.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Robbie
                                                • Aug 2000

Nah, I don't have a problem switching between the two. My DVD input is always set to WS while my TV input is always set to stretch. After a while I can't even tell the diference.

Robbie

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                  • Jan 2002

Angibug and I looked at several RPTV's Friday night and man was TGIFridays some good eating.

Anyway, I think I've narrowed it down to a Toshiba. They do have 2 component inputs and it appears they have the best stretch mode. The only problem is deciding between the 65H82 or the 65HDX82.

The HDX has DVI while the H is DVI upgradeable. I want to speak with Toshiba and see how much the upgrade is.

There also seems to be some other differences in features but I haven't seen both sets, just the H model. I want to try to clarify with Toshiba what the exact other differences are. There's about $500-$600 price difference as well, depending on how well I can haggle and where I buy.

Have any of you ever bought an RPTV on the net?.... I'm a little leary about it but am not totally against it, yet.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jun 2001

Before you buy a Toshiba, you might wan to go read Andrew Beacom's ranting thread at HomeTheaterTalk on his failed 15 month old Toshiba from Sears and the complete lack of response he has gotten from Sears or Toshiba.

BB

Comment

• Lex
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Apr 2001

David, sorry I am late to the party! YES on Elites. Expensive, but damn worth it. I first purchased a 53" Sony XLR. However many Years ago. My first set was a demo model. I got it home, and 2 months later, something went POW, and it had horizontal lines running through it, in color, maybe red? So, the dealer being a class act sent me a new set in the box. I watched them uncrate it on my front porch. 30 days later? Same thing, BOOM! This time, it was even worse with a colored blob on the screen.

Totally frustrated, I called the manager of Now A/V. After I told him my story, he let me trade back, during a sale for the Elite PRO-119. Cost me about another 1100-1200 bucks. I wasn't keen on spending it at the time, but this set has been outstanding. I absolutely love it.

Lex
                                                      Doug
                                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                        • Jan 2002

Brandon, Andrew had problems with his Hitachi set he purchased from Sears to start with then bought the Toshiba and has a problem with it as well. I've read post on problems with every set made. I believe this is par for the course in most forums. You will hear a lot more about the problems than the good side.

After speaking with a Toshiba technician I've decided I should go with the HDX model. Better and wider CRT's, better Anti-Reflection Screen, of course DVI, and several other features that mount up to be worth the extra (which turns out maybe not so much extra for the HDX model anyway).

This is the kicker, I can't believe it, but no one, not one dealer in the state of Alabama carries an HDX model. And I haven't found one yet that would even order it. Sears, Rex, Sams, Hifi Buys, and a few individual dealers all sell the H model but none the HDX model.

I may be forced to buy it online. Searching online it appears the HDX model is almost as cheap as the H model. Hmmmmm! Now as to who to trust in getting it to me. I may end up changing my mine just because of this.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jun 2001

repeat

Front projection is your friend
                                                          Front projection is your friend
                                                          Front projection is your friend . . .

Little box, big picture. Out of curiosity, how come you don't go that way? Won't work for your room/viewing habits?

BB

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                            • Jan 2002

$$$$ is at limit here Brandon.....

Can I get a Front PTV and screen that will do everything a Rear PTV will do at about the same price $2500 - $3000????

Then I have the problem of installing it in a ceiling that is 10' high and has a low hanging ceiling fan dead center.

I just don't believe functionality will be favorable with a FPTV.

I found a few more stores in the state that carry Toshiba but still no HDX models. One fellow said he could order it but it would 10-12 weeks according to Toshiba due to back order. Toshiba tells me that's bologna. I even talked to the local Sears store here and the owner says he doesn't understand why Sears doesn't carry the HDX models but unless he has a part # he can not order one. He plans on making some calls tomorrow but even so he want's retail price which I ain't paying. On other brands at least some of the other Sears stores will bargain with you, this one will not.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                              • Jan 2002

Found a Toshiba dealer in Nashville, TN. Electronics Express. They have a real store and will ship the 65HDX82 for $2750. Reasonable I suppose.

Bummer is it's on sale through 11/27/02 and I ain't really ready to fully commit. Why am I so skepticle?

Would you get the extended warranty?

EDIT: Just found out that Toshiba includes a one year "In Home" bumper to bumper warranty. This will at least cover me with out of the box problems. The extended warranty is $300 for 3 years but really it's only a 2 year extension.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Eduardo
                                                                Moderator emeritus
                                                                • Jun 2002

Sonnie - You can ask if they will extend the sale for you for a couple of week. I doubt they would turn you down. ;lx

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                  • Sep 2001

Sonnie --

Sounds like you've talked yourself out of a front projector. I guess we each have to decide what is "right" for us given the rooom and other constraints. However, a few comments anyway: :>)

You've assumed that you can't get a better deal with an FPTV over a RPTV for what you have budgeted. It is true that the top-of-the-line new FPTVs typically do go for multiples of the price range you have budgeted. However, there are "deals" out there, including discontinued, refurbished and "second-tier" but still high quality units. But you probably won't find the "deals" just by walking into a typical HT dealer or megastore. Whether those units which would fall within your budget would have the features you are looking for is an open question.

And I always have to laugh when one of my friends announces that they do not have room for a front projector, then haul in a box the size of a small car (RPTV) instead. The term "bumper to bumper" warranty is an apt extension of that metaphor. :>)

Also, ceiling mount is NOT a "requirement" for use of an FPTV. I know at least four FPTV owners including a reviewer for Widescreen Review, (and myself) :>) who do NOT have their projectors mounted at ceiling height. There are quite a few rooms and situations where a different mounting scheme is preferable and quite workable.

Good luck with your projection TV purchase and I hope you enjoy whichever model you end up with.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                    • Jan 2002

Burke, you are right.... I did talk myself out of a FPTV, but not after giving it considerable thought. We want to sell our current RPTV and have tried to figure out what we would put in it's place other than just having the screen down all the time. A center speaker stand would be a must obviously, but would look kinda naked when the screen is up. Just not something we are accustomed to.

If our room was dedicated to HT I think it would be easier, then of course it would be designed differently.

It's the SAF coming into play here as well. She doesn't seem to like the idea of having a big white screen hanging down or stuck on the wall. Maybe there's another solution to that, I don't know. (That's a bumper to bumper item as well.) I could just try it and hope she would like it, but then if she didn't????

I can't mount the unit on the floor (concrete slab) and don't want wires running across the floor (no place to hide them).

The ceiling would be the only feasible place to mount one. I could use an extension bar or nicely finished bracket to get the unit down as low as needed (below ceiling fan) OR I could mount it on the back wall if 18' to 20' from the screen is not too far.

There just seems to be a lot of variables to make it work out right. :banghead:

Finally, I'm not real fond of purchasing refurbished or used equipment with the kind of price tag we are talking about. It's just a comfortability factor for me. There are some really good deals on discontinued RPTV's as well but I don't want one. I got one that will be for sale myself.

I believe the bottom line is a widescreen RPTV would satisfy both of us and give us the latest technology available for now at a reasonable price.

Maybe, just maybe, on down the road, we might talk ourselves into a FPTV. It's not totally out of the scene for the future.

I appreciate your input.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Sonnie, on the extended warranty - YES, absolutely get one. Since you are planning on a 3- to 5-year life with this set, if you replace just one gun after the manufacturer's warranty expires, then you've paid for the extended warranty. An RPTV/FPTV (CRT-type anyway) is the one thing I'll always recommend an extended warranty on to anyone that asks.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                      Our "Theater"
                                                                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2001

Actually, sounds like you have a lot of the same problems I do.

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                                                                        what we would put in it's place other than just having the screen down all the time.
                                                                        For me, it was a custom cabinet to hold my (large full range) CC and a 36 standard def TV for non PJ worthy viewing, plus shelves for 500 cds, 150 dvds, 400 albums, and some (shudder) VHS tapes (away from the CC).

It's the SAF coming into play here as well. She doesn't seem to like the idea of having a big white screen hanging down or stuck on the wall. Maybe there's another solution to that, I don't know.
                                                                        Ditto. I cut a slot in the ceiling, put the manual pulldown screen in the joist space (after moving copper plumbing, a gas pipe, wiring, and modifying a big non-structural gluelam beam. Uuugh) and am making a flat wood trim plate wit a slot to cover it. I only have 9' ceilings though. Also, dalite and others make a screen with a built in plain white paintable soffit-type box around the thing to make it presentable. Sort of like the little soffits that go around the tracks for draperies in some houses.

I can't mount the unit on the floor (concrete slab) and don't want wires running across the floor (no place to hide them).
                                                                        Again ditto.

The ceiling would be the only feasible place to mount one. I could use an extension bar or nicely finished bracket to get the unit down as low as needed (below ceiling fan) OR I could mount it on the back wall if 18' to 20' from the screen is not too far.

There just seems to be a lot of variables to make it work out right. :banghead:
                                                                        Also ditto (do you have the same house as me?). Right down to the ceiling fan with light fixture RIGHT in the way. I am making a mount which will tuck the thing up when not in use, and come down into position (about 6' off floor) during operation. Luckily for me, this puts it over a table, so there will be no headbanging. My screen bottom is at 46" high, so I don't get the Mystery Science Theater effect .

Finally, I'm not real fond of purchasing refurbished or used equipment with the kind of price tag we are talking about. It's just a comfortability factor for me.
                                                                        I'm in complete agreement there too. I was lucky enough to be in a position to swing the new Sanyo PLV70 myself, but if I had not, I would certainly have gone for one of the new crop of PJs like the Sony or Panasonic, which, with a decent screen, can be done for easily under $2500. Image quality not up to good HD RPTV, but pretty close, and then in about 4 more years, you'll almost certainly be able to get a mondo spiffy PJ for $2k or so. And size does matter. My wife, who was "letting" me do all this, is truly delighted with it (as are many of our neighbors).

Anyway, I like RPTVs too, but for the real theater feel, FP is just so cool. Be sure you're not talking yourself out of it when you don't need to.

BB

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                          • Jan 2002
                                                                          • 2858

Hee hee hee.... LOL!

Brandon, you are sooo bad.

I did mention it again to Angibug but she wasn't to excited about it. I won't press the issue. She might decide I can't get the RPTV. She was complaining about shelf space for pictures and I thought it would be perfect doing something similar to what you are doing. That ain't what she wants though. She's got plans!

The ideal solution is to have a retractable screen that lowers down in front of the RPTV. But she ain't lettin' me buy anything unless I promise to sell the RPTV. She believes she already has it sold for $1800 (would be sweet).

So, ultimately she is comfortable that we may only be spending around $1000 to $1200. Hey, that wasn't easy. Took me several months. The last time I started this she put a screeching halt to it before I could even ask her good. She's already said, "Honey, this is your Birthday and Christmas for two years." LOL She wasn't laughing though. She had that look on her face. :roll:

This will lead up to a good set up in the future. Maybe a few years from now I can start putting together a good FPTV set up and maybe keep the RPTV in the picture for a longer period than I normally would.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2001
                                                                            • 2193

Oh well. There goes my commission from the Digital Projector Manufacturer's Association. Sigh.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Jan 2001
                                                                              • 7637

#39
                                                                              Burke and Brandon, good work on trying to convert Sonnie to FPTV.
                                                                              However, I can understand where Sonnie is coming from.

My Homepage!
                                                                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                                • Jan 2002
                                                                                • 2858

#40
                                                                                LOL

Actually George, they have me converted, I just haven't got Bug converted yet. With time and money, it can happen.

Welp, I did it, it's done....ordered. Toshiba 65HDX82

After checking into Electronics Express they are an authorized Toshiba dealer but not for Internet sales and that scared me a little.

I called Onecall who is an authorized Toshiba Internet dealer that I have ordered from frequently. They did match EE's online price including shipping for a total of $2749.

Onecall had a better deal on the IN-HOME warranty at $364 for 5 years. If there is no claim at the end of 5 years then I get a credit at Onecall for $182. Sweet!

Then the fellow mentioned no payments/interest free until Jan. 2004. I figure what the heck, why not use someone else's money for 13 full months.

Now, if I can just get it here and all goes well out of the box.

I've got to learn a little about all this progressive scan/interlaced stuff now. Nothing like being backwards about some things.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Jan 2001
                                                                                  • 7637

#41
                                                                                  Good luck and good viewing with your new Tosh.

My Homepage!
                                                                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Robbie
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 256

#42
                                                                                    Sonnie,

You won't regret your purchase.

Good Watching

Robbie

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                                                      • Jan 2002
                                                                                      • 2858

#43
                                                                                      Thanks guys! I'm on one of those DVD buying sprees now.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 2703

#44
                                                                                        Enjoy Sonnie!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                                                                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 8938

#45
                                                                                          All right, Sonnie!!!! :T Enjoy the Toshiba big guy. That's a GOOD deal on the extended warranty. Glad you sprung for it.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                                                                          Our "Theater"
                                                                                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"