• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

OOPS! Toshiba RPTV red gun is out....

Bad news! :cry:

Last night we were watching TV and all of the sudden: POP 8O

Toshiba RPTV turns off and back on. BUT, when it comes back on it's missing the color red. Just a weird looking and dark blue green color. Either the red gun is dead or theirs a problem on the board that's causing the red gun to play dead. What luck! :banghead:

Just 10 days after having it delivered we got a serious problem.

Did a search last night and found another fellow who had the identical same problem with this set. Our two musta been made about the same time.

Oh well, now we'll have to be without it for a while during the holidays while it's being repaired.

Fortunately we still have our Sony RPTV. Rolled it in the family room today and wow, what a difference. We can plainly see the scan lines on the Sony and the picture appears so much smaller, although it's really only 4" smaller. The widescreen aspect makes it look like more than 4".

Also had to program our remote and add a TV-2, leaving the Toshiba codes in place. A few minor changes and we're up and running.

Guess it will be a good time to watch this 4:3 Gone With The Wind.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Sonnie, good to see you have a positive attitude, even in the face of adversity. Not sure I could remain quite so calm. As someone that had 2 Sony XBRs go out in 2 months, I can well appreciate this.

Best of luck for a speedy repair!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

That is tough luck. I hope your repair is speedy.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Styrnol
        • Nov 2002

Sorry to hear that, hope you get your set back soon.

John

My Home Theater
        My Home Page
        John

My Home Theater
        My Home Page

Comment

• Robbie
          • Aug 2000

all of the sudden: POP
          I hate when that happens...

Good Luck

Robbie

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

That's a bummer, Sonnie.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Thanks fellows.

I talked with Toshiba today and they have been in contact with the service centers in our area. They say it's too costly to have someone come out and pick up the set, repair it and deliver it back since I'm 45-50 miles from a service center. They said they were also having a problem getting the service center to come this far, stating that the service center said it would take them over a half a day to pick up then another half a day to deliver it back.

They have chosen the option of sending me a new one. Doesn't make sense, that's gonna cost them more I would think. They have a big expense in shipping a new one further than the service center and picking up the old one. None the less, they said it would be a 4-6 week turn around if they had it fixed versus a 10-14 delivery time on a new set.

The warranty does state that it is their option to repair or replace so I guess I'll just have to live with it. Maybe since this is not a common problem I'll be okay with the next one.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I wonder if you could request one from a different production lot?

Myself, I would rather have the new one than someone monkeying around in it right off. But that's just me.

Great they are willing to do that, instead of saying you've got to take it to the service center.

Lex
                Doug

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

I agree, that might end up being the best bet for me Lex.

I've read some info where Gregg Loewen and some of the other really professional calibration/setup guys have followed up some of the service center techs and what they have found is not so good in many cases. It appears the service techs are not particularly brilliant when it comes to getting things right. Basically they are just out for Toshiba's money and not that concerned with the customer. Some of their work has been reportedly shabby at best. Understanding I would have no clue as to what these specific techs would be like, it might just be better off to not find out.

I wonder if this means that anytime I have a problem I'm gonna get a new set? Hmmmmm!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I suspected as much Sonnie. Taking a new car in for repair is not that different. They usually know what to do, but never take the time to treat the cars like they were their own! Such as, laying tools on burled wood consoles!

Little scratch on the protective cover? No problem, you'll never see it, lol.

Lex
                    Doug

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                      Former Moderator
                      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Lex
                      I wonder if you could request one from a different production lot?

Myself, I would rather have the new one than someone monkeying around in it right off. But that's just me.Lex
                      Lex is right, although this may have been in a new box, it may still have been a re-pack. They know this unit from its' serial number and won't bother to invest any-more money and time into this set. It is better for them to scrap this unit for parts rather than to trying to fix it "again" and/or start a frenzy with other TOSH. owners and jeopardize future sales.

Consider Making the request.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
                      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

Okay, now I'm really getting frustrated.

Toshiba has now changed their mind and decided to fix our set. They have found a service tech 75 miles away that will come get it and fix it. They can't tell me what happened with the getting a new set decision other than to say they have found a service center that will fix it.

To top it off.... the service center is on vacation until Jan 6. Then it will be 3-4 weeks turn around after they pick it up because they will most likely have to order parts.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Furthermore I found out that the local repair shop (Callin's) right here in Troy is Toshiba authorized. I called him up to find out if he could fix it. He said not if I didn't buy it from him. WHAT????? I never knew he even sold TV's. He sure as heck doesn't advertise and Toshiba doesn't have him listed as a sales dealer. What difference would it make anyway? He says that's always been his policy. What a jerk!

My patience is wearing thinner by the day.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• John Styrnol
                          • Nov 2002

Sonnie,

We have some stores here in Utah that will not do a ISF if you did not buy the TV from them, go figure. Extra income would be pretty cool to me.

John

My Home Theater
                          My Home Page
                          John

My Home Theater
                          My Home Page

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Sonnie, could you possibly get your money back and get a Mits or comparable set from someone else? That level of service (or lack thereof) is un-acceptable. If someone is going to sell it, then by damn they better service it - correctly and quickly. They took your money just as quickly as they would have from someone that lives down the street from their store. Bastards.

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

I'm afraid I'm just stuck. :roll:

One of those things ya know. Yes, it's frustrating but just not much I can do. It's all a matter of location. No matter what I buy I'm gonna be stuck with delays in service because of where I live. Same service center does warranty work for just about all the brands sold.

A drawback of livin' in da boondocks.

I talked with a fellow at one service center and he advised me that about the only service center that would actually come to my house and make repairs was Sears, but I found out that's only if you buy from Sears because they don't have a third party contract with Toshiba for service. I did initially try to buy my RPTV from Sears because we have a local store, but they wouldn't or couldn't get this model for us.

I've always liked Sears for service. I've had 2 riding mowers from Sears with the service agreements. They always came the week after I called them and it never took them over a week to get the problem fixed. The tech would come out, fix it, or at worst find out what part he needed and come back the next week and fix it.

Our Sears Kenmore fridge went out once and Sears came out the next week and fixed it pronto.

I tried to get Sears to do the warranty work. They at first said they would come look at it but would probably have to order the parts and come back the next week. Then they finally realized I didn't buy it from them and said they couldn't do the work.

Maybe Toshiba will work something out with them. As many of these RPTV's as Sears sells, you would think they could fix them fairly well.

Afterall, Gregg Loewen is coming for a complete setup and ISF pretty soon anyway.

The saga continues.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"