X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Favourite Entry Level Receivers

Just wondering what people like to recommend as their favourite quality entry level AV Receiver. I'm thinking

around the $500 range.

At the moment I like the feature set of the new x30 Yamahas. The 630 seems like a great value at $499. 75Wx6, all

the new decoding technologies and pre-outs. Some may not prefer the sound, but one thing is that Yamaha's put out

consistent power.

Denon's are another brand I like to recommend as well. Again good feature set with quality power.

If people are not afraid of mail order, then the Outlaw 1050 is worth consideration. The only thing is it is

lacking on the DPL II front.

Marantz used to be in this group, but with some of the initial problems with the first sets of x200 series, I've

moved it down on my list.

That's about it off the top of my head. Any others?

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Well, I like the Elite low line for their sonics. Especially good for many speakers on the lower end that can tend to the brighter side at times. I own the 24TX for my bedroom, and like it just fine.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

The entry level H/K receivers seem to be making a strong come back. They still have their historically strong amp sections too. Nice sounding for the price.

I've read some of the new ES Sony receivers can be had for around $500 too. They have unparalleled flexibility in terms of set-up and tweaking. They would make a fine pre-amp if you added an amp down the road.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

Well, I am an Onkyo man and I think as an entry level product the receivers do a great job.
        Now with THX-ultra, Neo:6, powered zone2 and the likes, the 989 and 898 models do a wonderful job. They also make a great pre-amp when separate amps are added.
        The fact that you can dial-up any speaker/channel on the fly and adjust frequency/volume etc; does wonders especially for the center channel when dialogue is a bit muffled.

Works for me!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• MRWILLL
          • Aug 2000

Last year I picked up a NIB (classifieds) Sony 555ES for $400. I use it in my bedroom, and I couldn't be happier. It has one of the best EQ'ings for matching spks. I have some (14 year old/solid Tiger Oak) Sony-SS/TL-5 4-way tower spks, and the Sony pushes them to unbelieveable levels. I use Yamaha's AC-NS300 spks for my centre/rear. Great sound in my bedroom.

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
          DVD...Hear it from the people who
          mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
          STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
          DVD...Hear it from the people who
          mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

• Markj
            • Aug 2000

I help a friend of mine get into HT a year ago. We look at several but ended up with an Elite receiver. I think it was the 26TX. I remembered that Lex had the 24TX so that started us looking at the Elites. He has been very happy with it.

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'm going to put a vote in for the Sherwood entry line. Though the features are minimum, they sound incredible and the price is right. At under $200 us (what the 6090r and 6095r were going for), it's very tough to beat.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"